Income Check For Thai Women

Do Thai women and men, but especially women, need to show an amount of 20.000 Baht as a proof of income when crossing the border by train from Hat Yai to Butterworth or from Sungai Golok into Malaysia ? Or is this "income check" random ? (Thai women flying by AirAsia need to buy a returnticket and are asked to show 20.000 Baht or creditcard.)

Anyone know more about the situation travelling into Malaysia by Thai women by train ?

Sorry can't answer question but need to ask about the return ticket policy as I am planning a trip with Thai GF to Malaysia but plan to return by ferry boat to LOS. This will be a problem? Will she need her own funds and an onward ticket?

I beleive that the OP is confusing Thai and Malaysian immigration rules. My understand is that:

1) Thais do not require a visa for stay in Malaysia of less than one month

2) There is no requirement for a minimum amount of cash (Thailand has a rule - rarely enforced - that anyone entering Thailand on a tourist visa needs 20,000 baht)

3) Malaysia has no requirement for an onward air ticket

I beleive that the OP is confusing Thai and Malaysian immigration rules. My understand is that:

1) Thais do not require a visa for stay in Malaysia of less than one month

2) There is no requirement for a minimum amount of cash (Thailand has a rule - rarely enforced - that anyone entering Thailand on a tourist visa needs 20,000 baht)

3) Malaysia has no requirement for an onward air ticket

Firstly : I did not state that Thais required a visa to stay in Malaysia, and I am not confusing Thai immigration rules with Malaysian immigration rules.

Secondly : from personal experience I can confirm that a Thai female friend, who wanted to fly with AirAsia needed to buy a return ticket and also was asked to show 20.000 Baht in cash or a creditcard, before leaving Thailand. This was asked by AirAsia staff.

Edited by palander

Not questioning the experience, but odd that AirAsia staff would do that, seems that would be a Malay immigration function.

Should a passenger be refused entry to a destined country on arrival , it is the requirement that the air company repatriate the traveller , guess Airasia were just covering thier rear ends . Even if you have a visa for that country , you can still be refused entry by immigration .

Just off topic a little. Both Malaysian and especially Singaporean immigration officials are really cracking down on "likely looking women" from poorer southeast asian countries looking to enter on the 1 month visa free scheme. I have been held up for in Changi, Singapore for ages whilst they cross examined a vietnamese lady in front of me about her status, monetary reserves, accommodation return tickets etc ....... she was eventually taken away into another room for further processing. I believe authorities in these 2 countries are having problems with an influx of prostitutes in some areas.

I think if you are a thai lady flying to singapore then the checkin staff on the airline will ask for your return ticket or ask to see your green card.

Has happened to my wife, but she has a green card so does not need to show return ticket, but this has been checked everytime I think, or it appears to be.

Not questioning the experience, but odd that AirAsia staff would do that, seems that would be a Malay immigration function.

Should a passenger be refused entry to a destined country on arrival , it is the requirement that the air company repatriate the traveller , guess Airasia were just covering thier rear ends . Even if you have a visa for that country , you can still be refused entry by immigration .

AirAsia/MH/TG/LH ALWAYS ask to see a return ticket (can be air, sea or land), visa or work permit when a Thai fly to Malaysia. No matter man woman or children. I CAN CONFIRM THIS, as they ask my gf that EVERYTIME (>10 times) without fail.

I have heard (not my own experience, hence I cannot confirm) that AirAsia will want you to buy a return ticket back to Thailand (can be airlines, to any Thai destination) before they give you a bording pass. Just to make a few more $$$?

I don't know what will happen if you do not have any of the above. DON'T GUESS; call them (the airline that you intend), and clearify the situation up before you buy the one way ticket. If they say it is OK, ask they to put it in writing. Would be glad if you share their feedback to the forum.

Same applies when travelling to EVERY COUNTRY (I experience Singapore, HK, Bali, HCM, etc) which Visa is not required for Thai. I CAN CONFIRM THIS.

ALSO, I have heard (not my own experience, hence I cannot confirm), that no airlines will give a Thai a bording pass if their passport is less than 6 months validity. Even if it is short by one day.

ALSO, I have heard (not my own experience, hence I cannot confirm), that no airlines will give a Thai a bording pass if their passport is less than 6 months validity. Even if it is short by one day.

This is true with most passports not just Thai. Nearly all places you visit require your passport (regardess of issuing country) has longer than 6 months remaining.

Any Thai national will need to show about 20,000 bht on entry to Malaysia if unaccompanied.My Thai wife has been to Malaysia many times as my girlfriend and latterly my wife.She has flown into KL always needed a return ticket and 20,000bht however most of the time she has gone Hat Yai to Padang Besar and crossed the border there she has only needed to show the money.On the other hand any time she has crossed the border with me with her there has been no problem,weve only said shes my girlfriend and filled in immigration card and its easy.If you know the right taxi drivers at Pedang Besar your girlfriend or anyone else for that matter can cross the border without a passport.If you can meet the asking price for a wee backhander.

Any Thai national will need to show about 20,000 bht on entry to Malaysia if unaccompanied.My Thai wife has been to Malaysia many times as my girlfriend and latterly my wife.She has flown into KL always needed a return ticket and 20,000bht however most of the time she has gone Hat Yai to Padang Besar and crossed the border there she has only needed to show the money.On the other hand any time she has crossed the border with me with her there has been no problem,weve only said shes my girlfriend and filled in immigration card and its easy.If you know the right taxi drivers at Pedang Besar your girlfriend or anyone else for that matter can cross the border without a passport.If you can meet the asking price for a wee backhander.

Just curious : any idea what the asking price is for crossing the border without a passport ?

• 2 weeks later...