So... Has Bangkok Felt The Economic Tsunami Yet ?

Aswin

well beechguy for someone who doesnt like all the people whining and moaning, you seem to be the only one doing it. Get a grip. I too think it is a reasonable post and would like to hear diverse opinions.

Not whining or griping, just stating an opinion and responded to other people's posts. And if you disagree fair enough, no need to resort to name calling or insults as some have.

The point is though, the thread has been open for a few days and haven't seen anyone post information relevant to the Op's topic, only complaints about my opinion.

So, if you don't see what you need here, I still recommend looking in the jobs and economy section, and possibly the real estate section.

Most of the information is geared toward Thailand in general but you would probably conclude that some of it will apply to the Bangkok area in some respects. My whining and moaning comments are based on the many complaints about the GBP or Euro rates of exchange to Baht. I think that is the biggest problem for most expats, not the bangkok economy itself. Don't know that there is much we can do about either is the reason I consider this all a bit useless though.

Woah there! I thought you knew everything there was to know about Bangkok's economy, now it appears not?

Woah there (2), I was led to believe all information on Bangkok's economy was littered throughout other sub-forums? Now it appears that "you would probably conclude that some of it will apply to the Bangkok areas in some respects." :o:D :D

You're not just talking out of your backside are you? Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

My experience has been that prices are slightly up compared to last year. This strikes me as odd as similar services and products in the west have experienced deflation. Take NYC for example. Hotel occupancy dropped so there are upgrades and some price reductions. Occupancy rates are down across Thailand, but no impact at the nicer hotel chains. If anything, because my currency has fallen 20% against the baht in the past year, I am getting squeezed harder than before.

On the other hand, Bangkok is so much more affordable than Phuket. I am totally blwon away by how I can get a massive suite at the President off of soi 16 for what a 3 star crappy hotel in Patong will go for. If one doesn't mind the pollution, crowds and lack of greenspace, bangkok is still a bargain.

Are you sure about that mate? Having spent a year in phuket, and a few months in Bangkok, I'd say Phuket is around 20-40% cheaper than Bangkok. There is less availability of apartments in Patong, but good quality guesthouse rooms go for a fraction of the price they go for in Bangkok, especially in low season. Plenty of bars sell their beers for 50-80 baht in phuket, whereas you can double that in some cases for equivalent bars in Bangkok. I'd say all aspects of the "entertainment industry" are cheaper in Phuket than Bangkok.

Not just BKK.. Down here in Pattaya there are many shophouses and retail spaces with 'for rent' signs on them.. Not just the new builds ( there is a dearth of them) but older established businesses that have shut down too... The 'items for sale' notice boards at the local supermarkets seem extra packed with houses/land/cars/trucks/furniture etc for sale notices.. Lots of expat jobs are disapearing in the manufacturing sector and I know of several guys who have been made redundant. There are still people partying in town but less than in previous years.. My industry is so far unaffected but even so many of my friends and collegues are talking of 'good value eating places' 'good value golf deals' and 'downsizing their rented house' Funny we only used to talk about booze, girls and having fun.. Now much more talk about currencies and budgets.. The 'Tsunami' hasn't arrived for real yet but make no mistake the swell is building slowly and it will have an effect when it eventually hits... Greedy business owners and scammers wil no doubt feel the full force.. Businesses offering good value and service will I hope manage to ride the wave without too much distruction...

well beechguy for someone who doesnt like all the people whining and moaning, you seem to be the only one doing it. Get a grip. I too think it is a reasonable post and would like to hear diverse opinions.

Not whining or griping, just stating an opinion and responded to other people's posts. And if you disagree fair enough, no need to resort to name calling or insults as some have.

The point is though, the thread has been open for a few days and haven't seen anyone post information relevant to the Op's topic, only complaints about my opinion.

So, if you don't see what you need here, I still recommend looking in the jobs and economy section, and possibly the real estate section.

Most of the information is geared toward Thailand in general but you would probably conclude that some of it will apply to the Bangkok area in some respects. My whining and moaning comments are based on the many complaints about the GBP or Euro rates of exchange to Baht. I think that is the biggest problem for most expats, not the bangkok economy itself. Don't know that there is much we can do about either is the reason I consider this all a bit useless though.

Woah there! I thought you knew everything there was to know about Bangkok's economy, now it appears not?

Woah there (2), I was led to believe all information on Bangkok's economy was littered throughout other sub-forums? Now it appears that "you would probably conclude that some of it will apply to the Bangkok areas in some respects." :o:D:D

The fact is, the jobs and economy section, and or, the search function are mentioned and or recommended by me in posts #2, #8, #10, and #26. If you would have used a little less energy making an ass of yourself, and devoted a little to looking for the information you claim to be interested in. You would have found that graph, and several links to other information. I did not attach that graph or some other links because they are about Thailand in general if you will look closely, not specifically about Bangkok. That is why I phrased post #26 the way I did. People that are truly interested, can read the available information, and form their own opinions. I never claimed to know everything about anything, I just indicated that I have all the information I need for my purposes at this time.

If you would have bothered to look, you would have found, that graph was also posted by Changmai, 2-22-09, post #67 in a thread titled "Thai Bhat". In a thread titled "Thai Economic Crash", 2-22-09, post #18 you' would have found an article predicting 4th quarter GDP results.You would also have found a thread dated 2-18-09, that was posted by a gentleman that concerns a community near, but I don't think in Bangkok. That is why I did not previously attach a link to it.

As I have said before, there are at least ten related threads in the jobs and economy section. That is why I made the comment that I did in post #2 of this thread. I don't see why you are complaining, or making stupid comments, if you are too lazy to at least try to look at the information available.

Attached are a couple of threads I mentioned, for others to look at if they are interested. They were also found in the Jobs and Economy section. Somehow, I doubt you will make the effort to do anything, except post more stupid comments directed at me.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/View-Housing...nd-t244078.html and http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/13...ses-will-worsen

Woah there (2), I was led to believe all information on Bangkok's economy was littered throughout other sub-forums? Now it appears that "you would probably conclude that some of it will apply to the Bangkok areas in some respects." :D:D:D

The fact is, the jobs and economy section, and or, the search function are mentioned and or recommended by me in posts #2, #8, #10, and #26. If you would have used a little less energy making an ass of yourself, and devoted a little to looking for the information you claim to be interested in. You would have found that graph, and several links to other information. I did not attach that graph or some other links because they are about Thailand in general if you will look closely, not specifically about Bangkok. That is why I phrased post #26 the way I did. People that are truly interested, can read the available information, and form their own opinions. I never claimed to know everything about anything, I just indicated that I have all the information I need for my purposes at this time.

If you would have bothered to look, you would have found, that graph was also posted by Changmai, 2-22-09, post #67 in a thread titled "Thai Bhat". In a thread titled "Thai Economic Crash", 2-22-09, post #18 you' would have found an article predicting 4th quarter GDP results.You would also have found a thread dated 2-18-09, that was posted by a gentleman that concerns a community near, but I don't think in Bangkok. That is why I did not previously attach a link to it.

As I have said before, there are at least ten related threads in the jobs and economy section. That is why I made the comment that I did in post #2 of this thread. I don't see why you are complaining, or making stupid comments, if you are too lazy to at least try to look at the information available.

Attached are a couple of threads I mentioned, for others to look at if they are interested. They were also found in the Jobs and Economy section. Somehow, I doubt you will make the effort to do anything, except post more stupid comments directed at me.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/View-Housing...nd-t244078.html and http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/13...ses-will-worsen

So, to cut a REALLY long story short, you have no idea whatsoever about the current state of Bangkok's economy.

:o

Not just BKK.. Down here in Pattaya there are many shophouses and retail spaces with 'for rent' signs on them.. Not just the new builds ( there is a dearth of them) but older established businesses that have shut down too... The 'items for sale' notice boards at the local supermarkets seem extra packed with houses/land/cars/trucks/furniture etc for sale notices.. Lots of expat jobs are disapearing in the manufacturing sector and I know of several guys who have been made redundant. There are still people partying in town but less than in previous years.. My industry is so far unaffected but even so many of my friends and collegues are talking of 'good value eating places' 'good value golf deals' and 'downsizing their rented house' Funny we only used to talk about booze, girls and having fun.. Now much more talk about currencies and budgets.. The 'Tsunami' hasn't arrived for real yet but make no mistake the swell is building slowly and it will have an effect when it eventually hits... Greedy business owners and scammers wil no doubt feel the full force.. Businesses offering good value and service will I hope manage to ride the wave without too much distruction...

I felt there was a 'race to the bottom' in terms of pricing when I was there two years ago - can't imagine what it's like now. Pattaya will be unimaginably depressing if things really go tits up.

or is it the calm before the storm...

Are there any affect there at all ? or is it business as usual.

Just checking...

The Emporium restaurants were empty Xmas 2007.

At that Portugeese chicen joint, where I had to wait for a table, only me and 16 (sixteen) waiters at lunch time.

Some odd Arabs and their bourka wearing wives passing by.

Same in May, same in July, same in September 2008.

Then I cut the movie short.