Penang Visa Run...

I'm doing a visa run to Penang at the end of the month

and was wondering if anyone can give me any ideas as what

to do on the night times?

Daytimes not a problem with the shopping malls!

I've been there before last year, but only found one decent bar and

I noticed that nearly everything shuts down at around 11.30pm.

Does anyone have any names of good hangouts plus their locations?

Thanks

Noodles

Ive always stayed at the Hotel Continental at the bottom of Jalan Penang (the sea end)....if you come out the hotel doors there is a roundabout go over it towards the seafront and there are a couple of bars and eating places that are ok. .......other than that there aint a lot to do on the night.

You don't go to penang for the nightlife! Basically, shopping (cds and dvds very cheap) and clothes are quite good. Cinema is very cheap, so catch a movie when you're there. The only thing going on after 11.30pm is a good game of mahjong, where there's a lot of money changing hands, but you have to know some of the local chinese. :o

Penang IMO is a drab place and only visited by myself when necessary, apart from a couple of bars, which as you say start closing down early there really isnt much to do there, my advice is get a nice hotel room with a TV or read a good book to pass away the time.

Soho bar is ok,its open till at least 1am every night,fine British faye.Couple of bars on Lieth Street.

Place called Slippery Senoritas,has a top live band every night till1am,3 am at the weekend,but a little pricey.

The Hong Kong bar was always worth a visit,sadly it burnt down.

I usually stay here,just under B1000 a night.

http://www.resort-hotels.com/bookings/pena...town/index.html

Becareful of ladyboys when you walk home,there are many lurking in the shadows

When you go to Penang for visa, the best thing to do is to look for a lady in Hat Yai or Dannok and bring her down there with you (if you are male). Only about 2-3 hours by mini bus or tourist bus from Hat Yai to Penang. This is the best cure for 2-3 day of absolute boredom.

Penang is well worth a visit. I've been so many times and have yet to tire of the place but after a few days it or me it makes a nice change from Thailand and the food there is out of this world. There is plenty to see and do there but once you've done it a few times it gets a little dull. The beaches are ok for a wander but I wouldn't set foot in the water there!

As for the nightlife, as Bartender 100 says the Soho is a good option and it jumps at weekends. There are other nightlife options to be had but you have to dig them out and they can be pricey compared to Thailand.

Such a shame about the Hong Kong bar. Some of the memorabilia from there was irreplacable. It was a real link to a bygone age and I met some wonderful characters with some amazing stories there.

Place called Slippery Senoritas,has a top live band every night till1am,3 am at the weekend,but a little pricey.

Thats the place i was trying to remember opposite the Hotel Continental ..........thats why i stay there its not far to stagger back to. :o

Edited by thaiflyer1