Taxi Mafia Still Ripping Off Tourists On Koh Samui

Boater

Mattias they are not an organized mafia :D they are just scamming tourists.

why do all the taxis look exactly alike? (they don't anywhere else in Thailand) and why are their extortionate fares all pretty much the same then? :o

Hi Limbos,

I think Birdman meant that you can own a taxi here on Samui but also come from another part of Thailand.

Its not just Samui born Thai's that own taxi's on Samui.

I thought they just rented them for something like 500 baht/day?

Never use a taxi that does not turn on the meter.

but the trouble is THEY NEVER DO

they don't even HAVE them! :o , not that I have ever seen anyway, any of you?...doubt there is a meter on the island.

that's why I bought several vouchers for a ECO-rent-car at Bangkok's TRAVEL FAIR last weekend.

at 690 THB a day, this will not be much more than I would spend on local Mafia-run transport businesses during my stay in KSM later this year ;-) plus I am more independent and can explore the island as I want to.....

Yeah these Taxi Mafia type can and do play pretty NASTY, be WARN all if you are in there area and need this service. :D:D Plan ahead, plan for another mode of transportation if at all possible :D

Going to the airport with luggage have no alternative transportation.

The hotel will call a minivan and you pay 500b....

last year I booked a minavan via internet for 150, (the same the hotel was selling for 500) but this year no more indipendent company.

Maybe some minivan went onfire.... :D

I can accept to have to use a taxi after a disco at 3am, but not having other way of transport during the day is really absurd.

I cannot park the luggage along the street and wait for a songtae empty that go to the airport......

i think samui must solve the transportation problems, no boat after 6 pm, only BKK air is working, 1 flight every hour and a 150 b minivan to hotel.

And yes, you cannot use the terms Taxi Mafia, mafia is © Sicily Italy so the taxis need to have connections with the real organizazion on the other, bigger island to be called mafia :o

would be great if they could start they ferry at 4 am and have the last boat at 12

Who takes a ferry at 4 am? :o

A last run at 9pm to pick up all the late arrivals would be enough, and very lucrative, they could charge double , no problem.

BTW, with the sun down at 6 PM why on earth Thailand is not using Daylight sav time or Malaysia time? One our of light more in the evening is a huge boost for turist and a big savings on electricity....

They're not mafia because they're not from Sicily.

so neither is pizza, pizza, if it comes from New York?...or Samui for that matter? :o

Pizza is © Napoli (italy) but there are lot's of varation to the basic recipe...... :D

BTW Napoli is too busy with garbage to claim the ©... use it for free... :D

Any idea how much these "mafia" types would charge for a taxi from the airport to Big Buddha Pier, the one that has ferries to Koh Pha Ngan?

500, 300, 200 depends on your bargaining power, your looks, your manners, your style.. you appearance, your karma, your survival skills, maybe ability of winning a Muay Thai fight, or wrestling with a machete wielding guy high on Overdose of Red Bull, ability to stay cool, calm, and collected facing a 38 magnum.....

Edited by Samuian

mafia.. :o

that usually refers to an "organized" mob.

Never use a taxi that does not turn on the meter.

In other words, never use a taxi on Samui. Wich i have not in the last 3 years. But for us expats with our own vehicles, it is easy to choose not to use this service, even if i personaly would if they were as good as for instans Bangkok. However, for a tourist, it is not so easy. They kind of have no choice. Even though they know it is completely wrong to pay 800 baht from the airport to lamai, what can they do when they arrive 10 in the evening? It is a organised mob and maffia is the absolute correct word to describe Samui taxi. Have no illussion.

And they do scare tourists away. Have no illussion of this either. As late as today i recieved an e-mail from a friend who are in Bangkok. He is not coming to samui because he "dont want to be ripped off by those taxiscammers one more year", and will be going to krabi instead. :D . (He did mention Bkk airways scam as a secondary reason but i got the oppinion the taxi thing was the big reason. He dont drive anything and is totally depending on taxi.)

I feel sorry for the taxi drivers of Samui. They have clearly received a substandard education due to the fact they were schooled on Samui. Unfortunately for them they do not possess the educational background to understand that they are racists. Ignorance is bliss.

Not all taxi drivers are from Samui.

actually most...all most all...of them are not!

Hello you buy t-shirt?

When i first heard about that shirt, the word was it was gonna have that printing in Thai also, and be handed out for free to the arriving tourists at the airport.

Sad to say that the drivers still would not get it probably. They are just THAT dumb.