What Are You Doing For Your Throat In This Air ?

orang37

Hi,

I'm drinking strong hot ginger tea. Curious what you may be doing (assuming you're not already down with bronchitis major or minor and taking meds). Lifestyle changes : ride bicycle only about 2am or so, stay indoors; finally had to turn the air con on beginning last week.

regards, ~o:37;

> ride bicycle only about 2am

What makes you think it's any better at night? Because it's dark so you can't see it?

Anyway the only thing I do is I don't exercise.

oh wait.. I didn't do that to begin with.. Now I have an excuse though. And in addition I got my Pattaya trip idea approved by the Mrs.. Forgive me for seeing only positives. :o

I haven't done anything, or plan to do anything. I'm just enjoying life as normal. But on my day-long rides into the mountains, I'm taking far fewer pictures than the norm, because of the smog and the fact that the green has almost disappeared :o

Edited by Ajarn

still sounds nice , when i was there last year i drove the samoeng loop ,beautiful scenery but the wife missed it all because she insisted on going to sleep with a towel on her head. she ended up being sick som nom na.

Hi,

I'm drinking strong hot ginger tea. Curious what you may be doing (assuming you're not already down with bronchitis major or minor and taking meds). Lifestyle changes : ride bicycle only about 2am or so, stay indoors; finally had to turn the air con on beginning last week.

regards, ~o:37;

Drinking AcetylCysteine 3 times a day--but then I'm in the already sick dept. so don't count--incidentally, the meds are to try to get the gunk off my chest.

Whingy-the-Kwai wrote : "What makes you think it's any better at night ? Because it's dark so you can't see it ?"

When did you stop beating your wife ?

Whingy-the-Kwai wrote "Anyway the only thing I do is I don't exercise."

Yes, you can really see what that's done for your mind.

~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Nothing yet, but I am about to buy an air purification system for my home, and am looking into effective masks to wear out of doors.

Where do you buy those? (air purifyers) and I assume they are legit?

I'll be more than happy to tell you where I bought them -- I'm now planning to get two -- once I have! I don't want to start a run on the place and then find I can't get any for myself. :o They are quite legitimate. More precisely, if they are what they are purported to be, they would seem, from the googling I have done, quite legitimate, and the place that sells them has all the hallmarks of a legitimate outlet that would not sell products that are not what they are purported to be. More to come.

Besides the look of this smog/smoke it for some reason does not brother me. No sore throat, no red eyes, nothing really. Now what is it doing to me that I can not see is the question, anyway, to answer your post, I do spinning.

I go to a cycle spinning class every night. Besides the trainers (all men) I am the only guy in class, not complaining, I get there early for the far rear bike. Looking around gives me motivation.

I do enjoy the classes but look forward to riding my bike outside once again.

Couple of things. Actually pollution is worse in the day due to some chemical reaction where the sun kicks up an extra electron in certain atoms and, I believe, but don't quote me, turns NO into NO2. I think there are several chemicals besides this that react to sunlight and are more toxic, this in turn is responsible for the air turning from white to brown during the day and then white again by next morning. Wish we had a chemical engineer on this board to explain some stuff. So, there is something to Night vs. Day, Sir Whinny.

And Sir Som 37 (or is you of the Orang-utan variety Orang ?), I have been sick myself and have been taking some Thai traditional medicine for a little soothing of the throat. I'm sure you've seen the little round cylinders with the tiny mentholated brown balls in them (no jokes tv peanut gallery) ? The label on mine says 'Ya Om Samunphrai' as it's a mentholated pill of crushed up herbs n things. They're also either a little salted and quite tasty. The herbs take a bit of the roughness off the throat, and you may appreciate these things. That way your voice can be smooth n in tune for reading theatrics! They're right up by the registers in every 7-11 for 10B. I'll bring along my jar to show you on Thursday eve.

Is it that bad at the moment?

Reading that just made it a lot worse : I think it may have gone to the brain now, thanks.

I can obviously see what everyone is talking about, and because there's so much coverage on the pollution each year, I'm sure it's a serious matter too. But see and hear is about as far as it affects me. No problems with eyes, or breathing, and I'm cycling around the city as usual, along with regular walks up the Doi.

The very young, very old, and already sick, are generally the most affected by anything that upsets the balance of nature, but with so many groups between physically suffering, I'm just wondering what percentage of those might be smokers? Could be worth a poll for those interested in statistics?

Aitch

I can obviously see what everyone is talking about, and because there's so much coverage on the pollution each year, I'm sure it's a serious matter too. But see and hear is about as far as it affects me. No problems with eyes, or breathing, and I'm cycling around the city as usual, along with regular walks up the Doi.

The very young, very old, and already sick, are generally the most affected by anything that upsets the balance of nature, but with so many groups between physically suffering, I'm just wondering what percentage of those might be smokers? Could be worth a poll for those interested in statistics?

Hi Khun Drew,

Congratulations to you (and Khun Sendbaht) for being strong healthy types maintaining your exercise and fitness ! I believe the fact I hurt my back about ten days ago, and have not had my usual cardio-exercise, weight-lifting, saunas, swimming, etc., is causing me to react more strongly this year to the air. The 2am bicycle runs to the soy milk vendor are not enough to keep the vigorish. I'm now 2 years out from treatment for tongue cancer (never smoked, never drink beer or alchohol), and hoping my immune system is not still compromised, as it was for about six months after the glow-in-the-dark sessions and the waterboarding-with-poisons sessions :o

Here's to your health, our health !

I haven't done anything, or plan to do anything. I'm just enjoying life as normal. But on my day-long rides into the mountains, I'm taking far fewer pictures than the norm, because of the smog and the fact that the green has almost disappeared :D

Just to cheer you up "Ajarn" a couple of me photos from not too far from you in Jan 2008, last year

From the Samoeng Loop - Sandeng Forest

large.jpg

and

large.jpg

Never went up your way this year :D

In Kan, same as always, dry and hot :D, but the river looks great clear as glass :o and loads of water.

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

P.S. "malcy" The Samoeng Loop

Edited by Kan Win

Last year I was coughing the whole month of February and March. Nothing I took from the pharmacist here seemed to help it.

This year I brought with me some cough medication under the generic name Hydrocodone Bitartate. I started coughing almost immediately after arriving in Chiang Mai the beginning of February, and took 1/2 teaspoon full 4 times daily for three days, and my cough has all but disappeared.

like the bahtman (sendbaht), I too continue to ride my bicycle and it is my only means of transportation around town so I'm on my bike pretty much during most of the day and night although normally not as early is 2AM. Except for a slight amount of mucous in my throat, this f$^&up air hasn't knowingly physically effected me (yet).

Last year I was coughing the whole month of February and March. Nothing I took from the pharmacist here seemed to help it.

This year I brought with me some cough medication under the generic name Hydrocodone Bitartate. I started coughing almost immediately after arriving in Chiang Mai the beginning of February, and took 1/2 teaspoon full 4 times daily for three days, and my cough has all but disappeared.

Ah, shep, of course you should feel much better.

Hydrocodone Bitartrate (click on link for full description) is a rather powerful opiate antitussive.

:o

Whingy-the-Kwai wrote : "What makes you think it's any better at night ? Because it's dark so you can't see it ?"

When did you stop beating your wife ?

Whingy-the-Kwai wrote "Anyway the only thing I do is I don't exercise."

Yes, you can really see what that's done for your mind.

I don't know what that's supposed to mean. Perhaps a moderator can take care of the needless abusive comment.

As for whinging.. Who's whinging? Some are whinging about the weather every year around this time; I don't do that, I'm off to Pattaya next week.. Should be able to exercise again there as well.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

From Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocodone ):

"It is not recommended to mix any amounts of hydrocodone and alcohol, as doing so could cause health problems. APAP is metabolized solely by the liver. Therefore the risk of fatal overdose due to hepatotoxicity can occur with significantly lower levels of APAP when mixed with ethanol. Also the mixture can potentially cause serious damage to the liver, kidneys, and stomach wall. Acetaminophen may increase the potential for coma, respiratory problems, and can damage the CNS. Due to the feeling of euphoria it provides, these potentially negative consequences are often ignored by physically and/or psychologically dependent users."

Let's be careful out there :o

/ Priceless