Phuket Bike Week - Pre Ride Meet Up

AnthonyR1

How steady? I'm pulling between 9000 and 9500 at a steady 160. So 7+ hrs? Still it's been done before :D

Well, last week on the SSR Epic Ride we blasted from Chiang Rai to Bangkok in about 8 hours. We hauled a$$ too- generally cruising at about 160km/hr with some long blasts at 180-200km/hr. Not one speed trap the entire way- man I love Thailand! :o

Even so, with fuel stops, the occasional traffic light, a lunch stop and the usual traffic coming into Bangkok it took us a solid 8 hours to cover the 800km from Chiang Rai to Bangkok.

ChiangRaiBKKMap.jpg

I imagine travel time from BKK to Phuket will be about the same. Certainly doable in a day, but I'd much prefer to make it a two day ride and check out that Highway 4 in Ranong. Anyway- that's what the Yamaha boys have planned and I know that Trent and I planning to join them, so for those of you blasting there in a day we'll catch up with you in Phuket!

Happy Trails!

Tony

My Bro is a mad board rider (hence why he lives on Bali) and theres a bunch here.. I dont do stand up tho, got a good bodyboard for <deleted> about on if I feel like a splash.

Sweet dude! Well, if there's any waves we'll have to go out for a session. Here's yours truly on a good day at Kata last summer- :o

0729KataSurfSm.jpg

We're still a few months away from surf season, but every once in a while a good swell does roll in so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Happy Trails!

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
Tony, which day you riding to Phuket?

Hey Guys!

Time to give this thread a BUMP!

Sorry for not replying to your earlier question- I'm not 100% sure what the ride schedule is. Bard's out of the country working and Trent's bike will not be rideable for another 6 weeks or so, so no longer quite sure who's still going at this point.

I will try to swing by the Yamaha Big Bike shop tomorrow to drop off some parts for Bard and to double check with K. Ek or Mr Man about the ride. Might be a little weird for me to show up on a Kwacker if my usual Yamaha "sponsors" aren't there... But then again- those guys are so cool they probably don't give a crap about it.

I believe the ride is scheduled to depart Bangkok on Thursday the 9th and we'll overnight in Ranong the first night and continue on to Phuket via Highway 4 on Friday. I'll double check tomorrow and let you know if I can get more details, ok?

Who else is thinking about going? Chime in!

Happy Trails!

Tony

Unfortunately I'm out. I've got work all this week and knowing all the BS that comes along with Songkran, I'm just going to flee the country the following week. Ride SAFE guys. If you all want to meet up for a pre-ride beer, I'm in for that. We can see whose Two Bros is louder, mine or Tony's :o

^ Awesome Trent!

Congrats on the new bike! Can't believe you're riding her around Bangers with the race pipe. :o

Get her out of 2nd gear yet? :D:D:D

Dude it was the second day of riding before I got this motogp bike out of second gear. I'm wearing nappies when riding her. The previous owner I swear has balls the size of watermelons to ride this machine!

Nice bike Trent. The Dude in the photo must be fricken awesome to ride a machine like that.:o

Anyhooter back on topic.

For those that just want to get there.

We will be leaving at 6am from Tesco at Rama 3.

Make sure you have a full tank of gas.

Nice.. Monster machine !! Must be insane pull.. 160 odd hp !!

How many bikes you have now ?? :o Its an addiction..

Yes you are correct, the previous owner rode it like it was stolen! this bike has seen alot of knee down action

i think the HP was around 175/180 but i will need to double check on that

tesco 6am it is. coffe and blast!

I confess- I checked the forecast in the wee hours and wimped out...

Just received this message from Travelmate:

"It friken rained most of the way! Never been so wet in my life!" :D

He followed up to let us know that everyone is ok-

"We stuck to our guns and blasted thru. Had to stop twice as rain was overpowering. We let Trent lead since he is the slow one! :-D"

Anyway- big respect for those who braved the torrential rains and made it to Phuket! Sorry for being a soft cox! :D

Party On! :o

Edited by BigBikeBKK

I confess- I checked the forecast in the wee hours and wimped out...

Just received this message from Travelmate:

"It friken rained most of the way! Never been so wet in my life!" :D

He followed up to let us know that everyone is ok-

"We stuck to our guns and blasted thru. Had to stop twice as rain was overpowering. We let Trent lead since he is the slow one! :-D"

Anyway- big respect for those who braved the torrential rains and made it to Phuket! Sorry for being a soft cox! :D

Party On! :o

dam_n, i wish i was on this trip, irregardless of the pissy weather :D

oh well, more beer for me!!!!!

Non-stop BKK-Phuket in the pouring rain on a ZX-10 with racing tires? Trent ... you are hardcore buddy. :D:o

Glad to hear everyone is there safely. Tony ... want to ride down this weekend?

Fortunately the Trentster did get those racing slicks replaced with Pirelli Diablo Corsa III's earlier in the week. But he did have great fun riding across Bangkok to the tire shop in the rain on his race tires :D

I'm definitely up for a ride this weekend, but thinking of heading up to Nakhon Ratchasima with Peter via Khao Yai or the 304 (he picked up his new R1 today!) and playing a little Songkran Isaan style. Free place to stay and a lot less rain- interested? Gimme a call!

Happy Trails!

Tony

The ride south was nothing but rain, rain and more fricken rain. Can,t really add more except we all arrived safe & sound.

The ride back to Bkk was awesome, via the scenic route (Ranong). Left at 6am arrived in Bkk 2pm.

Welcome back! Glad to hear you had a good ride. How was the bike week?