Lamphun

lukeskywalker

Hello,

I just moved to a house in Lamphon south of Chiang Mai. It is fairly far to CM so I will only go into "town" when necessery.

Does anyone know anything about Lamphon? I'm only living there because it is free rent but I know nothing about the place. What is there to do, to go, etc? Good restaurants? Is there a Big C or Tesco nearby to get groceries?

Also, is there any WiFi spots available.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks.

hi yes 5 am in a village Rimping. Not far to Lamphun about 4 K past Prison

Your best bet for Farang Provisions is The New Careeforr

Hang Dong Road Towards Chang Mai Baht Bus From Market area

They go to the bus Station in Lamphun and return Via the market Road The one with the Moat

Then on to Chang Mai Should be 20 Baht each Way

If you have Trasport it's not too far for Motorcycle

There is Big C about 5 K away but you need Trasport and Farang selection not as good

As for Restraunts Not a Lot of choice But down Near River is Add Up Coffee shop Not Bad

But watch them They can't Add Up

Lamphun Ice in old part of town. Cable TV You can watch the whole second Half of a match

Just waiting for Toast That is if they have more than 2 tables to serve

Any Further Info just PM me Wellcome to Lamphun At least you can breath fresh air

I live here, and I think Lamphun is a pretty nice town. It's a good compromise between the hustle and bustle of the big city, and the boredom and isolation of the small village. It has most of what you will need, but if you are looking for farang amenities, restaurants, or even farangs in general, you are probably going to be pretty disappointed here, and you will also find very little English spoken. There is good public transportation to and from Chiangmai, but getting around locally can be pretty difficult unless you have your own transportation. I would suggest getting yourself a small motorbike, but if nothing else just get a pedal bike and you can get yourself around town pretty well. As for places to hang out in the evenings, there certainly isn't much, but I'm not into that so I really don't know. But if you are into eating, there are places to eat just about everywhere and at just about any time, but you definitely won't find any hamburgers except at 7-11 (highly not recommended). There is a local "supermarket" in the center of town where you can get supplies if you don't want to go out to Big C. I also don't know of any wi-fi spots, but there are plenty of "internet cafes" where you will find hordes of high school kids playing their online games all day and night. I'm not sure what else I can tell you. Have fun and welcome.

I live in Lamphun as you say very quiet not a lot of foreigners around, everyone tends to stay in when it goes dark from my experience the food at the square in the centre of town at night is normally good there are lots of good restaurants around depending on what you like, there Is a Macro next to the Big C on the Super Highway you can normally get a good selection in there and there croissants are great! No there are no Bilingual or International Schools Here

Don’t live in Lamphun but have visited friends there several times and know it quite well.

I can only describe it as a nothing sort of place. Besides the usual supermarkets, some nice Temples and a few leafy lanes, not much more can be said about it.

Nightlife non-existent and a few isolated elderly Farangs spread across the area.

Not very convenient distance wise from the town.

For those who enjoy isolation, early to bed and extreme quite, Lamphun is for you.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks everyone.

I have a motorbike and have already realised there aren't any farang around. I've been here 4 days and have not seen one, not saying that is bad or good, just observing.

It's a good thing. I'll be on your heals on the next trip.

I've been here for 4 weeks now and have literally not seen 1 farang (except the occasional driving through). Practically every Thai I have spoken to speaks no or very limited English. Living here will cause my Thai language to improve immensely! I got a haircut for only 40 baht yesterday! Where I was living before it was 200 baht (for farang), but I haven't experienced double billing here yet. I think the Thai people haven't been corrupted yet by our Western ways!!

Where is the nearest golf course and driving range near Lamphun?

Nearest woud be : ''Gold mountain'' golf course ... just opened 18 holes. about 7 kms from Lamphun ... i am sure u can find directions by asking the locals ...

Khuntan lake, Khuntan marina on the raod lamphun/chiamgmai

Precisions to go to Gold Mountain golf in lamphun

Take the superhighway to Lampang/Lamphun rd. You will know you are at Lamphun when you see the Big C on the right side near the over pass. Cross over the over pass and at the next set traffic lights (first) make a right turn. Follow the road and cross the railroad tracks to the next set of traffic lights and make a left turn. Then go about 13-15km, looking for the sign for NIDA (Blue with white)on the left. Make the left turn and follow it to the end T junction (approx 3 kms). Near the end of the road you will see the golf course on your left. At end of the road make a left turn and look for the sign for Gold Mountain a few hundred yards on the left. Turn left onto the dirt track/road and follow to the club house

There is a "not too bad" restaurant opposite the gate (side road) to Wat Haripunchai.

Food is reasonable. Happen by and make your own judgement call.

Yes. The nearest I've found in Lamphun city centre to 'farang-friendly' Thai food is the one you mention: 'Lamphun Ice'.

It always looks closed because of the very dark tint on the windows, but is almost always open. Parking is easy, and the place is named after their air-con!

Staff understand my 'Chiang Mai Thai' (other places there don't even understand my simple beer order!). VERY good Thai food in my view, reasonable prices, and their panang nuer, hot and tender, is one of the very best I've had.

I have 15 years experience of this place (it's very far from being the 'nothing place' mentioned by another poster here!) and it's very clean and very quiet. The total absence of tuk-tuks (they won't register them there!) makes an enormous difference!!

Songkran starts earlier there than here (about now, I fear!), but for the rest of the year the whole place is user friendly.

If you have any problems, just drop into the tessabarn (city hall), well signposted to the left as you drive in on the old main road, and ask. Two fluent English speaking young ladies will be delighted to help. The Mayor too, who is very popular, having done wonders for education there.

There are NO user-friendly western hotels in Lamphun city. A former Governor of the province once told me that this was deliberate.

"We welcome everyone, every day, but we won't have hotels and supermarkets. People can go to Chiang Mai for those. We just want to enjoy our quiet, comfortable home."

Footnote: Lamphun city is almost exactly twice as old as Chiang Mai.