Suggestion For A New Fishing Forum On Thaivisa

SlackJawChef

Fishing forum  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just wanted to see if there are enough people out there as interested in fishing as I am...

If you are, put a post on here, if we get a good turn out..

maybe one of the moderators will open up a dedicated forum for us .....

Edited by sbk

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love fishing depending how much work i am i try to fish once or twice a week. I doubt however that there are enough ppl interested in fishing around here. I usualy go with some friends Thai or farang.

I might have posted it in the wrong category.

if one of the mods are out there could you please move it to General topics as it will reach a greater number of TV readers.

I have been a member for years and I think this was my first time looking under sports and hobby's..... I really think that there are a large number of TV members who enjoy both salt and fresh water fishing.

If it dos not get moved in a few days I will re-post my self and beg for forgiveness if I am breaking TV rules.

Until then, has anyone had much success trolling for King Mackerel or Barracuda? I'm on Koh Chang..... I would also like to have a go at one of those big Mekong river cat's

I love fishing depending how much work i am i try to fish once or twice a week. I doubt however that there are enough ppl interested in fishing around here. I usualy go with some friends Thai or farang.

I might have posted it in the wrong category.

if one of the mods are out there could you please move it to General topics as it will reach a greater number of TV readers.

I have been a member for years and I think this was my first time looking under sports and hobby's..... I really think that there are a large number of TV members who enjoy both salt and fresh water fishing.

If it dos not get moved in a few days I will re-post my self and beg for forgiveness if I am breaking TV rules.

Until then, has anyone had much success trolling for King Mackerel or Barracuda? I'm on Koh Chang..... I would also like to have a go at one of those big Mekong river cat's

Last november we had a king mackrel off Ko phi phi.. one in 3 days of fishing for sailfish.

Those big cats are nice to catch and there are good spots in BKK.

Hi, I can move it, would you like to add a poll so you can see what kind of interest you get?

Thanks SBK,

Ya that would be great. a poll is a good idea ... but it sounds like the punch line of a joke ... would you like to add a "fishing pole" lol

Do's any one fish with downrigger's over here? I am bringing 2 over to give it a shot.

Hi, I can move it, would you like to add a poll so you can see what kind of interest you get?

Thanks SBK,

Ya that would be great. a poll is a good idea ... but it sounds like the punch line of a joke ... would you like to add a "fishing pole" lol

Do's any one fish with downrigger's over here? I am bringing 2 over to give it a shot.

Ok it looks like I was wrong.... I honestly thought there would be more than 4 people out there who like to talk about fishing.......

Thanks SBK,

Ok it looks like I was wrong.... I honestly thought there would be more than 4 people out there who like to talk about fishing.......

I like talking about it but i doubt many expats do, the fishing here is good but they like fishing for ladies more i guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks SBK,

I like talking about it but i doubt many expats do, the fishing here is good but they like fishing for ladies more i guess.

I think your Right Robblok.

Thats a shame, as I was hoping to get something going. but with the pitiful turnout in responses (thank you to all that did post or vote) I can see no good reason for TV to give us our own category in the forum's..... In the mean time, if your into fishing, help keep this thread alive by posting your fishing related questions here.... James

Definately enjoy a bit of fishing. I'm not sure if we'll get a dedicated forum though. Might be a bit too specific.

Could use this thread for all the fishing types to communicate though.

There is a golf section, and that is pretty specific. I think a fishing section should be given a chance.

Definately enjoy a bit of fishing. I'm not sure if we'll get a dedicated forum though. Might be a bit too specific.

Could use this thread for all the fishing types to communicate though.

There is a golf section, and that is pretty specific. I think a fishing section should be given a chance.

I love fishing but i almost see no messages about fishing and i am sure there are plenty of messages about golf. Why dont we first try to post more messages about fishing.

I don't know anything about fishing but I'm always open to new outdoor activities. So a new forum where people can post personal experiences, tips and advises can motivate a few people here to take up fishing if they are not already hooked :o .

I've already been invited to join a couple fishing parties at sea for the week end, never had time to go, maybe that's the kind of motivation I need ....

I love fishing! Been fishing on and off since I was very small, not really a great fresh water lover but deep sea fishing.

I have a very good Thai friend in Pattaya who owns a clothes shop, a few weeks ago he invited me fishing with him and his brother from a boat near Rayong in a small fishing harbour. We set off late afternoon and fished all evening for squid bouncing lures up and down from fresh water rods so when you caught a squid you could really feel it fighting. We then set off for another hour and fished for Barracuda with the squid as bait we had caught earlier. I caught one (first ever Barracuda) and was in my element so did the others not giants but all gave a good fight.

You know i remember the sun rising in the distance, water calm, nice and quite whilst we sat there fishing off this boat and thought to myself of scraping the ice of the winderscreen with a credit card back in the UK at 6 in the morning in the pitch black, freezing cold and depressed trying to get to work. Then looked where i was then, i said to my friend this sure beats being back in the UK!

The skipper and mates of the boat then made us breakfast (rice vegetables and fish) and we sat on the floor out on deck in a circle (as the Thais do) and had breakfast watching the sunrise, pure magic! I would rather do that any day of the week then wake up with a stinking hangover and wasted loads of money on drink. If you haven't ever tried deep sea fishing and you get the chance do it, you'll love it I'm sure!

Edited by JimmyConway

I love fishing! Been fishing on and off since I was very small, not really a great fresh water lover but deep sea fishing.

I have a very good Thai friend in Pattaya who owns a clothes shop, a few weeks ago he invited me fishing with him and his brother from a boat near Rayong in a small fishing harbour. We set off late afternoon and fished all evening for squid bouncing lures up and down from fresh water rods so when you caught a squid you could really feel it fighting. We then set off for another hour and fished for Barracuda with the squid as bait we had caught earlier. I caught one (first ever Barracuda) and was in my element so did the others not giants but all gave a good fight.

You know i remember the sun rising in the distance, water calm, nice and quite whilst we sat there fishing off this boat and thought to myself of scraping the ice of the winderscreen with a credit card back in the UK at 6 in the morning in the pitch black, freezing cold and depressed trying to get to work. Then looked where i was then, i said to my friend this sure beats being back in the UK!

The skipper and mates of the boat then made us breakfast (rice vegetables and fish) and we sat on the floor out on deck in a circle (as the Thais do) and had breakfast watching the sunrise, pure magic! I would rather do that any day of the week then wake up with a stinking hangover and wasted loads of money on drink. If you haven't ever tried deep sea fishing and you get the chance do it, you'll love it I'm sure!

You said it brother,

My best day working, can't come close to beating my worst day fishing...

Next month ill be out fishing a lot.. this month working a lot. With some luck my new rod from Holland will arive at that time too. Will be nice to try it out in Thai waters catching some sawai or small bug.

I'm just about to go on a fishing adventure, would be keen to find out more about it, here in Thailand, unfortunately or fortunately (depending on which way you look at it) my fishing adventure is taking me abroad. Look forward to reading more here on TV, hopefully. :o

I'm gonna add my support to this - a dedicated fishing forum would be a great addition to the board. At the very least, couldn't the admin give it a trial run for, say, 6 months and if there's not much activity then merge the forum with another ?

I've fished on and off in the UK since I was a kid. Equal split between freshwater and beach/sea fishing. Haven't tried it in Thailand yet but I have used the search function here to get tips on good fishing spots. Whilst it's useful to have recommendations for fishing tours, I'm more interested in posters' experiences of good places to fish without resorting to local guides.

Anyways, my vote is added. :o

I would like a fishing forum also. As then i can ask what bait people use to catch snake heads as i have tried nearly everything for the last month and nothing a few bites but thats it, this is in a big lake near my house.

has anyone had much success trolling for King Mackerel or Barracuda?

There has been many fish caught in the Trolling in General :o

Moss

I tend to catch a few in the Football Forum too.. :D

Seriously, yep Fishing's good for me..

I'm gonna add my support to this - a dedicated fishing forum would be a great addition to the board. At the very least, couldn't the admin give it a trial run for, say, 6 months and if there's not much activity then merge the forum with another ?

I've fished on and off in the UK since I was a kid. Equal split between freshwater and beach/sea fishing. Haven't tried it in Thailand yet but I have used the search function here to get tips on good fishing spots. Whilst it's useful to have recommendations for fishing tours, I'm more interested in posters' experiences of good places to fish without resorting to local guides.

Anyways, my vote is added. :o

I can give some tips about Bangkok.

Big fish and expensive dual pricing (Bungsamran) soi navamin 42.

Big fish and cheap no dual priving but a bit more of a chalenge to catch something (Ngau Nam ) shadow lake near the mall Bang Ke ( i got more directions)

Smaller fish.. in all the ponds whereever you go

Sakuna is supposed to have big fish too its near Bang Na (not 100%) sure

Many ponds with smaller fish near Bang Yai

I hear there is a fishing place near onut too

With small i mean up to 10 kg with big i mean 20 to 100 kg mostly 20 -60 kg (youll catch 20 kg most of the time)

Just use different kind of rods for the smaller fish as for the bigger fish

Both are catfish like fish but its just more fun fishing lighter for the smaller ones.

Seeing as we don't have the subforum yet, I would still like to keep this alive and discuss fishing.

So I am in Phuket and often drive past a couple of lakes on the way to Patong if coming from the Central shopping center. They look very fishy.

What is the best approach for freshwater fishing in these types of lakes? Float fishing with bread or meat or something? Spinning or deadbaits? I really am not sure what type of freshwater fish you get here so am curious of the best way to approach them......

Seeing as we don't have the subforum yet, I would still like to keep this alive and discuss fishing.

So I am in Phuket and often drive past a couple of lakes on the way to Patong if coming from the Central shopping center. They look very fishy.

What is the best approach for freshwater fishing in these types of lakes? Float fishing with bread or meat or something? Spinning or deadbaits? I really am not sure what type of freshwater fish you get here so am curious of the best way to approach them......

Baitspiral with bread on the bottom would do it. baitspiral on the line bread kneaded over it hook in the bread. If there is pla sawai or pla bug they will take it. But just go a fishing park first and learn the basics. There are many around im sure.