Exchanging Scottish Pounds For Baht

Norrad

My mother just arrived to visit me while I am stuck in hospital and she needs to exchange some of her pounds for baht, the exchange booths in Khao San wouldn't do it, would she have more luck at the main branch of a bank?

Any specific bank she should try?

My mother just arrived to visit me while I am stuck in hospital and she needs to exchange some of her pounds for baht, the exchange booths in Khao San wouldn't do it, would she have more luck at the main branch of a bank?

Any specific bank she should try?

Kasikorn may exchange, best of luck, I had problems changing Scottish pounds in England would you believe.

i asked the same about Pattaya. seemed to be a place on third road in pattaya that does it. I had two Jack Nicklaus scottish notes I don't need and just thought I would bring them with me and exchange them on my next trip to the LOS.

Search the pattaya forum for scottish notes or jack nicklaus and a post from me.

When I worked in a post office in London, I could accept them, but not pay them out. We just took them out of circulation along with the torn ones and tatty/smelly ones that have spent too long in old men's pockets..

They get refused widely in the UK as well.

I once exchanged a Scottish £5 for a jock so he could pay for his kebab because the Turkish bloke thought he was being ripped off.

To use the word *oc* to describe a Scot is now considered to be racial abuse, the Scots are considered as a minority ethnic group. Unlike the English which are not considered an enthnic minority therfore you can call them what you want. :o

Edited by The Philosopher

The Scottish pond is not "legal tender" anywhere outside Scotland.

Though you can use it in England but its a service not a right.

Sorry you are quite wrong the currency actually states it is sterling therfore can legally be used to buy goods and services in the UK.

:o

Although some Scots hate to have to admit it, Scotland is still part of the U.K. and therefore the money is still the a pound, sterling, even it says Bank of Scotland on it.

Your problem is goig to be finding some Thai bank teller who recognises that it is a real legitimate currency, equivalent to sterling. Good luck.

I used to work in the Faroe Islands. They are a semi-autonomous part of Denmark. The Faroese Kroner is legal tender in Denmark, but I had a lot of taxi drivers in Copenhagen who refused to accept Faroese Kroner.

It might be easier in Bangkok than Koh Samui. The best hope would be to go to the main office (head branch) of a bank like Bangkok Bank or another Thai bank that handles a lot of foriegn currency exchange. Hopefully, someone will recognise that it is still a British pound and not just a phoney money rip-off.

They get refused widely in the UK as well.

I once exchanged a Scottish £5 for a jock so he could pay for his kebab because the Turkish bloke thought he was being ripped off.

To use the word *oc* to describe a Scot is now considered to be racial abuse, the Scots are considered as a minority ethnic group. Unlike the English which are not considered an enthnic minority therfore you can call them what you want. :o

Bloke I used to work with called them frisps.. "<deleted> revolting ignorant Scottish pigs". Was'nt a fan.

Although some Scots hate to have to admit it, Scotland is still part of the U.K. and therefore the money is still the a pound, sterling, even it says Bank of Scotland on it.

These days the English are as full of the nationalist bullshit as the Scots are. Don't see many union flags around, but plenty of St George crosses.

This is from the bank of england website

Are Scottish & Northern Irish notes legal tender?

In short ‘No’ these notes are not legal tender; only Bank of England notes are legal tender but only in England and Wales.

The term legal tender does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application

Edited by machlad