Listening To Thai Ladies Talking

ozzieman05

Thai rice has always cost more than other rice I've seen for sale in foreign countries. Not sure its owing to baht exchange.

My wife buys a 10kg bag of Thai fragrance rice for £10, not sure if that's cheap or not, she also shops a the big chinese supermarket not far from us and only goes to the Thai supermarket for the few things she can't get anywhere else.

Brigante7

I think you miss the point

1 year ago 10 kls of Thai rice was $20

Today is $27.00

as the Thai Baht is 25% lower than that time, logic tells me it is the Thai Baht that is causing the change in price

I paid $23.00 for 10kg Golden Deer AAA Hom Mali a week ago in Perth. Depends where you shop I guess.

If you buy 25kg AAA Hom Mali the price range is $42 - $48 per bag depending on brand (Springvale last week, usually $1 - $2 cheaper in Footscray if you can be bothered driving accross town or Nullabor).

12 months ago it was around $35 for 25kg

Every Saturday my wife drives to Springvale & does all the fresh vegetable, fruit, meat, fish etc shopping from the Viet grocery stores - massive saving on Coles or local green grocer.

Better quality too.

I have been married to a Thail lady for 2 years now, and things are starting to change.

In the past if it was not made in Thailand it was no good, but on Sunday listening to my wife and 8 other Thai ladies talking at a Thai function in Australia they started talking about Thai Rice and other Thai foods

Is was the general agreement the Thai rice was way over priced in Australia, and they were not prepared to pay 1/3 more for Thai rice when the could buy other rice for 1/3 less

I guess this is all because of the extreme high value of the Thai Baht

I there fore wonder if Thailand polices are in fact destroying there export market with the Baht being so high

When a Group of Thai girls put Thai products away from there shopping trolly

It tells me that some one in Thailand has got it all wrong

NO, I think you have got it wrong. It tell me you have some very smart Thai Ladies there, who are going with the flow and tighten the old belt along with the rest of the world in this economic melt DOWN. Otherwise if they are done ok in the land down under, smile and first time you have treat the little lady to a nice cozy evening out on the town. CHEERS Mate!! :o:D

I also do not understand the world finance market

But what does make sense is Australia depends largely on its exports

So when the US$ crashed we needed to fall s well or Australia goods would be to expensive to sell out side the country

And also to keep the tourist dollar coming into the country

Thailand on the other hand seems to wave logic in the face Destroy Tourism and stuff up the export market N one yet has been able to give me a logical reason why. The Thai baht is not steady It is killing the country

ahemm... ahemm... Honourable Sir..., there are some "flaws" :o in your reasoning. for the record: when the US-Dollar crashed first half of 2008 the Oz-Dollar soared (up to 98) and when the US-Dollar soared second half of 2008 the Oz-Dollar crashed (down to 60) :D

I have been married to a Thail lady for 2 years now, and things are starting to change. In the past if it was not made in Thailand it was no good, but on Sunday listening to my wife and 8 other Thai ladies talking at a Thai function in Australia they started talking about Thai Rice and other Thai foods Is was the general agreement the Thai rice was way over priced in Australia, and they were not prepared to pay 1/3 more for Thai rice when the could buy other rice for 1/3 less I guess this is all because of the extreme high value of the Thai Baht

I there fore wonder if Thailand polices are in fact destroying there export market with the Baht being so high When a Group of Thai girls put Thai products away from there shopping trolly It tells me that some one in Thailand has got it all wrong

it only shows that the Thai girls have acquired some economic thinking and nothing else.

I have been married to a Thail lady for 2 years now, and things are starting to change. In the past if it was not made in Thailand it was no good, but on Sunday listening to my wife and 8 other Thai ladies talking at a Thai function in Australia they started talking about Thai Rice and other Thai foods Is was the general agreement the Thai rice was way over priced in Australia, and they were not prepared to pay 1/3 more for Thai rice when the could buy other rice for 1/3 less I guess this is all because of the extreme high value of the Thai Baht

I there fore wonder if Thailand polices are in fact destroying there export market with the Baht being so high When a Group of Thai girls put Thai products away from there shopping trolly It tells me that some one in Thailand has got it all wrong

it only shows that the Thai girls have acquired some economic thinking and nothing else.

I agree... I work in Mining and have a decent income. My Thai lady knows this and still buys thai rice because it is what she is used to eating - and we can afford it.

She does however save on other things, and has an eagle eye when it comes to freebies and discounts... she will take lemons, mangos and other fruit from trees in our neighbourhood from people who are letting the fruit frop and not eating it. She grows her own thai vegetables and chillis (also Very expensive here in Aus.)

She buys her clothes at op shops because she likes doing that (her choice), and can fit herself out in a great new (very fashionable) wardrobe for a few Australian dollars. Thai women are very smart when it comes to saving money - well mine is anyway, and more power to her.

I estimate that she has easily saved a return airfare to Thailand by buying her clothes and shoes second hand.

My husband will often substitue thai jasmine rice for basmati, he actually prefers the drier consitancy of basmati but when we do a run to the big Wing Yip every couple of months he stocks up on thai rice again, but once it has run out he always goes back to Basmati till the next trip. Not sure if the cost has changed that much as thai products have always been expensive in UK but in the past 5 years he has found a multitude of local produce (veg mainly to substitute as the thai stuff doesn't travel well & cost so much.)

Hi Boo,

You mentioned Wing Yip,

has that company got branches thru out UK as i used to go to a branch in Aston,Birmingham and also they had a brilliant restaraunt