Visa Run From Hua Hin

khongniam

At the old mall (near the night market and the TOT office) on the side of the main road (Phetchkasemroad), there is a small travel agency.

They sell trips to Ranong. It is the quickest but it will take a day of travelling, so it isn't perfect.

Greetings,

Manou

Edited by Maestro
Deleted spam - Maestro

I had to do a visa run this week. I went into several agencies who advertised the run but none of them actually did one (even though they advertised it in the window). They said they did not have enought people wanting to go.

Anyway, on the advice of another forum member I just did the run myself.

I caught the 5pm train on Thursday evening(which actually left at 6.30pm) south to Chomphon and stayed there over night. I was adivised to go to the Chomphon Palace hotel. When I got there it was full. I went around the corner to Suri Wong hotel and that was full. I again went around another corner to Sri Chumpong hotel and this had a room for 310 baht. A bus for Rangong leaves the next morning from 7am beside the bar "farang bar". It's just a walk from the hotels (as is the station). A ticket costs 120 bath to Rangong and it takes 2 hours in a minubus.

When you get to the bus station in Rangong you will be met by several motorcycle taxi's. I agreed on 80 bath to take me to the immigration office (which is now on the pier). It's about a 4km ride from the station to the pier. He stopped at a guy halfway trying to sell me a boat ride to Burma. I refused and said i would arrange it at the pier. In fairness he was only asking for 400 bath which seems to be the going rate. At the pier immigration office you hand in your passport to get stamped out of thailand. You need to have a photocopy of your passport. If you don't have one you can get one for 5 baht in an office right beside the immigration office. You will also need to have a new crisp USD$10 note when you get to the burmese side. They can sell you one in the office beside the Thai immigration if you don't have one. You then negotiate a price with the many guys there to take you across the water to Burma. I think 400 bath is the top price you should pay. If there are more than one of you in the boat it should be less.

You will make 2 stops on the way to the Burmese side. Each stop are "checkpoints". When you get to the pier you will be met by several young guys who will try to befriend you and sell you stuff. Just walk off the pier and into the first room on the left which is the Burma immigration office and give them your passport along with the USD$10. I was in and out of Burma in 5 minutes. I did not stay. The guys who met me off the pier and tried to befriend me asked for 100 baht which I polietly declined. On the way back you will again have to stop at a Burma "checkpoint" and give them your passport to look at. I did tip the guy who jumped off the boat with my passport a 20 bath tip. When I was stopped at this checkpoint on the way back there was another boat full of Asians and one or two of the guys were trying to talk me into something. I think they were asking if I would take a boat load of people back with me to Thailand. Again I pretended not to understand (which I didn't really) and I politely refused. 40 minutes later and your back at the Thai side. Go back to immigration and sign back in.

I then went straight back to the bus station. I got there at 11.15am. Unfortunately the next bus for Hua Hin was not leaving until 1.30pm. They told me that this bus would bypass HH on the way to Bangkok and therefore I planned to get out in Pranburi. When we got near to Pranburi I asked the driver again and he told me that they actually would stop in HH. Anyway, I hope this info helps you. With this info, I don't see any need to look for an organised visa run. You now have more info than I had going.

All the best.

Cabrinha.

Was all that for a tourist 15 day extension on your visa ?

yes it was Altos. I'm leaving Thailand in the next 15 days and I had already got a 7 day extension at the immigration office. I had no choice but to do that or else overstay.

• 5 months later...

Depending on your budget, if you are prepared to pay a few hundred Baht more you can do it with relative ease. Do you drive? if so rent a car, drive to the Andaman club at Ranong, follow signs for Chumpoon then turn left when Ranong is signposted and then you get the signs for Andaman club. It costs 830 Baht but that includes your boat and $10, no queing or messing around. Have a duty free shop at the Andaman so you can get your cheap ciggies/wine etc. Its about 4.30-5 hour drive there and about 2 hours with the immigration, boat and shopping so a full 12 hour day but beats the hel_l out of messing around at Ranong on the longtail boats just to save a few Baht. They are even doing 2 nights accomodation for 2,500 so maybe treat the missus.....Thais can go for 100 Baht and 30 baht for kids. Fantastic rooms, pool, sauna, gym.