Is It Worth Buying A Car?

Hi I am moving to Thailand for 3 years, later this year. Will be based in Bangkok. I have full UK driving licence with3 points. Is it worth buying will I need one day to day, My company say not. So is it worth buying or hiring when I need or want one

Any advice appreciated

Hi I am moving to Thailand for 3 years, later this year. Will be based in Bangkok. I have full UK driving licence with3 points. Is it worth buying will I need one day to day, My company say not. So is it worth buying or hiring when I need or want one

Any advice appreciated

In my opinion if you are staying in downtown Bangkok it would not be worth buying a car, as it can be pretty much a car park at times. There is good public transport, the sky train, underground, taxis, tuk tuks and if pushed motor cycle taxis. I use all of the mentioned from time to time. I stayed here for 8 years before I decided to buy a car and that was, so we could travel outside Bangkok.

Cheers, Rick

100% buy a car. You will get to see far more of Thailand and Bangkok than you ever will using public transport. Not to mention the added freedom and safety of driving yourself. I wouldn't even consider not having a car now.

Totally agree. From an econimic point of view it does not make sense at all, but once you have the car, you will enjoy a great sense of freedom. Thailand has LOTS of odd public holidays and long weekends are great for trips 1-300 km outside Bangkok.

Lots of good quality cars at www.one2car.com

Robert

Totally agree. From an econimic point of view it does not make sense at all, but once you have the car, you will enjoy a great sense of freedom. Thailand has LOTS of odd public holidays and long weekends are great for trips 1-300 km outside Bangkok.

Robert

Chris,

For once, I actually agree with all the posters on this topic :)

If you were staying in Bangkok for more than 3 years - who knows maybe shorter if your company's plans change? I would advise you to definitely buy a car. Having one's own car provides a level of convenience and independence that simply cannot be matched even with Bangkok's superb subway, BTS and plethora of inexpensive taxis. However........

If you are going to be working and living in the Central Business District (Sukhumwit, Silom, Sathorn, etc) you will definitely NOT need a car on a daily basis. Your company is giving you good info on that. For week-end/holiday getaways, you can easily rent a car from Avis, Hertz and others. This will give you weekend freedom without the expense of owning.

My 2 baht: Get your feet on the ground, see how the situation unfolds for you and then you can make a better decision. No need to think too much about this now. Either way, you will easily get all the transport you need. What I would strongly recommend that you do is get an international driving license before coming here. This will make getting your Thai driver's license much, much easier. And after 1-year (when the IDL is no longer valid) you will need a Thai DL to rent a car.

Good luck. You are lucky. Bangkok is a great place to live.

please dont buy another car so you can add more pollution and traffic jams then there already is, dont risk an accident waiting to happen, save your money pleaaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

No way would I own a car in Bangkok. Finding a parking place is always a nightmare. On the rare occasions that you want to and are able to get out of Bangkok, it's cheaper and makes much more sense to rent a car near the edge of the city.

Maybe lease a car, many rent/lease car dealers around the city and the country, most take care of maintance on the car, you pay for insurance(??) and gas for sure and if I recall correctly for Allen, a friend who lease, no limit on mileage, (??) :):D

Edited by BigSnake

I rarely have problems parking in Bangkok, there are car parks all over the place. Certainly not a reason to not use a car. If you have to rent a car every time you want to go anywhere, you will just end up not going. Personally, I don't know any expats (who are here on decent wages) who don't have their own car or a company car.

Edited by madjbs

you really don't need a car to get round Bkk - but you might need one to get out of the place!

having said that when I worked in Bkk I commuted in my car every day because the Sky Train was too crowded to carry my Laptop and other bags. it was about the same time as by Sky train and I had the concevience of being able to carry lots of stuff - I did however have free reserved parking.

On the occasions I have driven in BKK I've always been able to park somewhere, although it's been paid for parking in the center.

Day to day you might find taxis or public transport easier - but for shopping and leisure a car is ideal.

Why drive when you can be driven :)

I used to think I wanted one but after 6 months of being in BK I decided I didn't want or need one. Mass trans is just too cheap and plentiful. I almost always rent when in other parts of Thailand however.

99% of the 10 million people in Bangkok do not use the BTs because it goes nowhere they need to go. If I had to take a bus to work (and many of my co-workers do), my commute would be over an hours versus the 20 minutes it takes to drive. The OP does not say where his company is located, but if it is any distance from the CBD area of Suk-Silom where the BTs runs, he will need a car.

TH

Am I the only who feels like traffic in the BTS/MRT areas is not that bad at all if you avoid rush hours.

I agree. At other than rush hour, the traffic is really not that bad or a city the size of Bangkok. Only exception, IMHO, is Rajadamri (sp?) between Rama 1 and Petchaburi. That particular stretch of road seems to be a major cluster all day long until about 2000 or so when the traffic dies down.

100% buy a car. You will get to see far more of Thailand and Bangkok than you ever will using public transport. Not to mention the added freedom and safety of driving yourself. I wouldn't even consider not having a car now.

However, if you have never lived in Thailand before, please make sure you are fully insured.

When a farang gets into an accident 99.999% of the time you will have to pay not only for damages to other vehicle and person, but also very likely compensation to them as well. Failure to 'pay up" or provide proper coverage might land you in jail until you do. MOTORCYCLES ARE MUCH WORSE.

-Do not be in a rush to buy a vehicle.

-NEVER buy it via a girlfriend, or other person's name. If you can't own it in your name...you don't own it.

-Make sure you get proper documentation for ownership, registration and insurance...stupidity is not an acceptable excuse to police and court.

-Cost of maintaining vehicle does not outweigh cost of public transport...even taxis

DON'T BELIEVE ME OR ANYONE ELSE HERE..DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK.

Essential if you live in the sticks like me. It's a bumpy 50 min drive in the pick-up to the nearest major town.

If you're based in BKK, forget it. I know others think it's the best way to see Thailand, but hiring now and again is one option round that. Cars are brutal money out here, even if they do hold their value.

Long distance now I take the VIP buses, I think they are fantastic.

When a farang gets into an accident 99.999% of the time you will have to pay not only for damages to other vehicle and person, but also very likely compensation to them as well. Failure to 'pay up" or provide proper coverage might land you in jail until you do. b]

I believe this to be a Paranoid Expat Myth.

Neither my friends; all of whom own cars, nor I have ever experienced unfair treatment or even unequal treatment. However, I believe some people may have received unfair treatment as a result of how they have failed to successfully handle a situation, perhaps in many cases by failing remain calm.

Car on Motorbike issues are a little different, blame is overlooked and costs are usually directed at the wealthier (i.e. the car owner).

I have owned 3 cars in Thailand over 8 of the 12 years or so I’ve been here.

In my opinion: I can live without a car in Bangkok, but I wouldn’t want to or ever choose to.

Edited by richard_smith237

Robert

Chris,

For once, I actually agree with all the posters on this topic :)

If you were staying in Bangkok for more than 3 years - who knows maybe shorter if your company's plans change? I would advise you to definitely buy a car. Having one's own car provides a level of convenience and independence that simply cannot be matched even with Bangkok's superb subway, BTS and plethora of inexpensive taxis. However........

If you are going to be working and living in the Central Business District (Sukhumwit, Silom, Sathorn, etc) you will definitely NOT need a car on a daily basis. Your company is giving you good info on that. For week-end/holiday getaways, you can easily rent a car from Avis, Hertz and others. This will give you weekend freedom without the expense of owning.

My 2 baht: Get your feet on the ground, see how the situation unfolds for you and then you can make a better decision. No need to think too much about this now. Either way, you will easily get all the transport you need. What I would strongly recommend that you do is get an international driving license before coming here. This will make getting your Thai driver's license much, much easier. And after 1-year (when the IDL is no longer valid) you will need a Thai DL to rent a car.

Good luck. You are lucky. Bangkok is a great place to live.

Wrong: For rental purposes you can use your National Drive Licenses from your own country so fas ar the rental car is insured with a correct rental car insurance (not the private one). You are covered!