I Often Find Myself Bored In Bangkok

wasabi

I do not think Bangkok is a boring city but I find myself often very bored here. I have found the fact it is not boring does not mean I am interested in the things I recognize other people might find stimulating. Right now I'm sitting in my apartment and can't think of anything I feel like doing, with all the pollution, and dense crowds on every street and soi at times it can seem not even worth it to go somewhere I want to go. I think it's also a problem that I can't drive here. I don't feel confident enough to navigate the madness that are Bangkok roadways. I'm also completely uninterested in clubbing or so called entertainment zones with ladies of the night.

I lived in San Francisco before coming here and rarely felt bored. I really enjoyed walking all over the city and when you were tired you had multiple public transportation avenues to get back home, some like the trolley cars in themselves were entertaining simply to ride. I am thankful the BTS and MRT exist but it's often incredibly packed and doesn't really go that many places. In San Francisco the BART system goes to multiple cities and while it does get crowded during commute hours it's not quite like the person to person density of the BTS.

I find the city of Bangkok very ugly, dirty and haphazardly developed. I don't think Bangkok is a world class city. It is more or less a big mud puddle with a few statues made of gold. While I recognize Thai culture is fascinating and have enjoyed studying Thai language the overall feel of Bangkok is one of cultural homogeneity. So at times I feel like why bother going to a particular district when it's no different than my own hood. Again referring to San Francisco there are various neighborhoods with very different themes that help mix things up. I know some people love it here and I'm not trying to change their minds I just wonder how many feel like me? These feelings make me really wonder what retirees do to fill their time who chose Thailand as their final destination.

Edited by wasabi
  • Thanks 1

I have limited experience of Bangkok, but I tire of it quickly on the few times I have been. Its just not the place for me personally.

Do you have to stay in Bangkok wasabi? If not, have you looked around other areas of Thailand that you may feel more comfortable in? Although no place will give you the equivalent of SF, you may find some place that suits you better and makes you feel good.

I have limited experience of Bangkok, but I tire of it quickly on the few times I have been. Its just not the place for me personally.

Do you have to stay in Bangkok wasabi? If not, have you looked around other areas of Thailand that you may feel more comfortable in? Although no place will give you the equivalent of SF, you may find some place that suits you better and makes you feel good.

Yes at this point it makes no sense to move. I should be returning to the USA in a month or two when my wife's visa is ready.

Driving in Bangkok is easy, fun and perfectly safe. I agree the traditional nightlife/bars gets boring after a while, but try something new. Try some other type of social activities. Cooking classes at some of the 5-star hotels with world class chefs, Champer of Commerce open evenings, FCCT on Fridays.

Lots of stuff and interesting people to meet in Bangkok.

Robert

Driving in Bangkok is easy, fun and perfectly safe. I agree the traditional nightlife/bars gets boring after a while, but try something new. Try some other type of social activities. Cooking classes at some of the 5-star hotels with world class chefs, Champer of Commerce open evenings, FCCT on Fridays.

Lots of stuff and interesting people to meet in Bangkok.

Robert

that you can have in any of the million+ cities worldwide. Is there something more?

Yes, Central Bangkok is not the place to go for a nice refreshing walk or run. The congestion, pollution, broken-up pavements, etc. put paid to that idea, though there are gated estates in outer Bangkok (not all that "outer" in some cases) where one can do those things. And if you don't like the bar scene, that's not an option. But there are some nice hotels with nice restaurants and piano bars and there are some nice restaurants apart from the hotels. But if you don't like to eat and/or drink or crawl the malls there may not be a lot to attract.

Perhaps a life-project might be to find a lifestyle that is satisfying regardless of where you are. Some people seem happy watching DVDs (they don't appeal to me), but rather than just consume entertainment, there's a lot to be said for reading, net-surfing, meditation, dining well (if you have the resources) and just leading a balanced and productive life. We shouldn't need to be entertained all the time. We can't in fact expect to be happy all the time, but we can appreciate and enjoy the present moment - warmth, good health, the support of loved ones - whatever we have.

There's probably something to be said for and said against any city in the world. Bangkok can't cure a person's boredom, no matter how lively it might be. If you just don't feel "at home" here, then somewhere like San Francisco might be the place to be. Your wife might think differently though.

Yes, Central Bangkok is not the place to go for a nice refreshing walk or run. The congestion, pollution, broken-up pavements, etc. put paid to that idea, though there are gated estates in outer Bangkok (not all that "outer" in some cases) where one can do those things. And if you don't like the bar scene, that's not an option. But there are some nice hotels with nice restaurants and piano bars and there are some nice restaurants apart from the hotels. But if you don't like to eat and/or drink or crawl the malls there may not be a lot to attract.

Perhaps a life-project might be to find a lifestyle that is satisfying regardless of where you are. Some people seem happy watching DVDs (they don't appeal to me), but rather than just consume entertainment, there's a lot to be said for reading, net-surfing, meditation, dining well (if you have the resources) and just leading a balanced and productive life. We shouldn't need to be entertained all the time. We can't in fact expect to be happy all the time, but we can appreciate and enjoy the present moment - warmth, good health, the support of loved ones - whatever we have.

There's probably something to be said for and said against any city in the world. Bangkok can't cure a person's boredom, no matter how lively it might be. If you just don't feel "at home" here, then somewhere like San Francisco might be the place to be. Your wife might think differently though.

exactly, it's grotesque to recommend activities in hotels for boredom in a city. Really present and that more than other cities worldwide is BKK in just 2 very opposing matters, Buddhism and nightlife.

I know I would find it very difficult to live in Bangkok, since I enjoy an outdoor life. The climate and stuffiness of the city makes it almost impossible to walk around comfortably or without breaking into a major sweat and eating and drinking al fresco is not so pleasant. An alternative but sleepier version with some of the trappings of a modern city is Chiang Mai, a very pleasant city with seasons, yes three different ones!

Regards Bojo

You should be experiencing the Count-Down-Syndrome about now, ticking off your remaining day in LOS :)

Go crazy a bit. Toss around 100baht tips to every waitress and counter person. Order gigantic sumptuous meals. Enjoy life.

Instead of looking at the dirty bits of BK (and there are many, of course), marvel at the bits that exist only here and nowhere else. Try to remember your younger self when you first came here and have yet to see all its faults.

This chapter of your life will be closed soon enough.

As for me, I like BK, but rarely for more than 3-4days :D I'm not disagreeing with what you said about BK or SF. Have lived in both. Best wishes on your re-relocation. From many perspectives, SF can be a very sweet city. :D

I think a major factor is the indegnous population do not like us foreigners that much...how often odes a real Thai person offer you round for dinner, or say lets go the movies etc, etc....apart from guys that are with their kept whores the stimulus between the two races is almost non existent....I am married with three kids so am in no way knocking Thailand or its people....I just think it is very hard to meet genuine people here which in turn makes it more difficult to integrate

I want to add. I am sure I will continue to visit Bangkok and for 1 week stretches I would have enough to do to have a good time. It's that I'm not in tourist mode now but rather lifestyle mode and have found the things I enjoy doing in everyday life are difficult for me to do here. I can't really go for a long bike ride, drive to a high point and look down at the city lights, walk along the water, go to an outdoor cafe and enjoy the fresh air. On the same hand I think I would equally dislike New York. I think the problem is I am not a noisy, crowded big city kind of person and Bangkok is that on steroids. Some people are into the lifestyle here and I respect that. I do like Chiang Mai as someone mentioned but think I might get bored there as well. I guess America is where I feel is my home and Thailand is where I feel like a tourist. I never made the transition from guest to local in spite of having Thai friends and speaking Thai pretty well. The Thai friends I have all have been to America and talk about missing it too, but this is just a reflection of choosing friends who generally agree with your world view.

Someone else mention reveling in my time here, to that I agree and in spite of feeling listless I still do force myself to go out and soak up the city of Bangkok. I know in spite of my grievances I will treasure these memories but it will be nice to do it from afar!

* Thanks for the cooking class tip. That's a great idea. One thing I don't get bored of is Thai food.

Edited by wasabi

Dude you are sooo whitebread it hurts me to read this post!!! BKK is my favorite Asian city. There is so much to do here and so many different ways to meet interesting people. I have lived in many different cities (including San Francisco) but Bangkok makes me feel alive!!!

When I was a boy I used to tell my mom I was bored. Her reply was "you're boring!".

Go to California Wow, do yoga, go to some meditation seminars, take up street photography, take thai classes, take thai cooking classes or leave the city and explore other areas. Have you been to Siem Reap?

OP I hear you... In 2.5 hours my flight leaves for the USA... back to rolling hills and trees as far as the eye can see... though I will be back of course, I will not look back for some time.

This is my last post until I come back, whenever that may be.

Best of luck to all.

jcon

It may not be where you are as much as what mode of life style your in.

New retires, the newly rich or anyone with new found time on their hands,

preconceived notions of doing this, doing that, the reality is we quickly fall back in mind numbing routines.

Once the new car smell of a different locale wears off you have to mix it up.

Rotating between locations can give you that needed reboot, ~ 4 months in your old town, 4 in BKK and 4 in someplace new, maybe some island life. If $$ issues prevent travel than try to mix up your daily routine, throw in some gym time, write a book, attempt something different, just don't consume heart beats languishing in your apartment.

Needless to say, make sure your not or not becoming depressed, that'll only compound the issue,

Good luck :)

Dude you are sooo whitebread it hurts me to read this post!!! BKK is my favorite Asian city. There is so much to do here and so many different ways to meet interesting people. I have lived in many different cities (including San Francisco) but Bangkok makes me feel alive!!!

When I was a boy I used to tell my mom I was bored. Her reply was "you're boring!".

Go to California Wow, do yoga, go to some meditation seminars, take up street photography, take thai classes, take thai cooking classes or leave the city and explore other areas. Have you been to Siem Reap?

All that you can do everywhere. That's not Bangkok specific. Bangkok is an uninviting, hot moloch without nice outdoors. Except work/business/school, Bangkok is best only to study Buddhism or enjoy the nightlife.

All that you can do everywhere. That's not Bangkok specific. Bangkok is an uninviting, hot moloch without nice outdoors. Except work/business/school, Bangkok is best only to study Buddhism or enjoy the nightlife.

Second that.

When it comes to outdoors, one thing that does not really require great funds: greenery and parks.

Paris has 20sqm of parks per resident.

Bangkok has 1.5sqm.

In addition, what kind of "interesting people" could be met there? Who of any interest to anyone (except to homecountry's tax office and not even that in all cases) has settled in Bangkok? Stickman? The "authors" and gogo bar owners he "interviews"?

• Like 1

I live in rural Thailand about 4 hrs drive north of Bangkok, I often get bored there, but a trip to Bangkok is always a good way to relieve the boredom. I can’t say I’ve ever been bored in Bangkok; there are thousands of things to do.

I always have something to do, be it a couple of things on the house, bits and pieces in the garden, going swimming, for a massage or just spending lots of time with my 2 year old son, but my biggest problem is and remains, the heat. These days the heat is killing me and I need to get up very early in order to achieve some of my goals. During the day, weekends that is, I just spent my time inside the house with the Aircon on 22C. Cant be bothered to be tracked out etc. I never really felt this way, but now being here over 10 years, and getting older, I feel the heat more and more.

Edited by ralfbkk

Visit - just a few:

1. Bang Kra Chao (Prapadang) for nice park, market and interesting history - like being in the countryside - maybe do a bicycle tour with your own bike or Spice roads tour. Join the Thailand cycling club (in town biking) or hash bike harriers (out of town)

2. Walk in the many nice parks esp. Queen Sirikit Park.

3. Take a mystery tour on the commuter river boat and Saen Saep canal boats

4. Visit Neilson Hayes Library and the Siam Society bookshop and library, and Foreign Correspondents Club.

All these are easily accessible - mainly by the BTS or MTR.

Bangkok has bags of character and loads to see, but the heat and traffic do inhibit a bit - but it doesn't stop me from going out to some interesting places.

In addition, what kind of "interesting people" could be met there? Who of any interest to anyone (except to homecountry's tax office and not even that in all cases) has settled in Bangkok? Stickman? The "authors" and gogo bar owners he "interviews"?

Joseph Maier, Jack Shirley, Trink :) .

SF got more boring every year I was there. Most of the interesting places in Tendernob have been shut down or converted into Yuppie/Guido haunts.

I quite like it that there is no meaningful interaction between farang and the Thai. I never felt lonely if by myself in the city and find it quite relaxing that I can be among them and nothing is really expected of me. It's a bit like a form of living wallpaper of a fascinating design akin to TV, comfortingly there and constantly piques one's interest.

Clearly, the OP is dissatisfied and perhaps prey to ennui. Although I have never been tempted I understand cycling in the city offers thrills and represents a good workout ( if you survive ) and recharges the batteries.

Rotating between locations can give you that needed reboot, ~ 4 months in your old town, 4 in BKK and 4 in someplace new, maybe some island life.

This is what works for me. 3 months in Bkk is enough at one go, then off to Jomtien for a similar stay and then to home country where I am fortunate enough to maintain a home.

I did stay in Bkk for a complete 12 months one year and it was far to long for me.

I somewhat agree with the op, but its more of a state of mind than anything, ive been bored in bangkok, nyc , los angeles and chicago... THhe best way to cure it is to be proactive within you budget, just because you dont have any money dosent mean you cant do anything...we used to get bored with the same old same old restaurants in nyc, so we started going to a new one 5 nights a week, looking for who had the "best" whatever, you could spend a lifetime in bangkok doing the same. It gets you out to neighborhoods youve never seen maybe you'll find something cool along the way... Give yourself a budget and try and get out of town each weekend, see where you end up,,, always fun. You have to entertain yourself, city life is only as exciting as you make it. :)

I somewhat agree with the op, but its more of a state of mind than anything, ive been bored in bangkok, nyc , los angeles and chicago... THhe best way to cure it is to be proactive within you budget, just because you dont have any money dosent mean you cant do anything...we used to get bored with the same old same old restaurants in nyc, so we started going to a new one 5 nights a week, looking for who had the "best" whatever, you could spend a lifetime in bangkok doing the same. It gets you out to neighborhoods youve never seen maybe you'll find something cool along the way... Give yourself a budget and try and get out of town each weekend, see where you end up,,, always fun. You have to entertain yourself, city life is only as exciting as you make it. :)

Yes, very much a state of mind. When I was teaching science and a student would be sitting doing nothing and then say, "I'm so bored." I would always respond with, "There's nothing more boring than doing nothing."

I have rarely been bored in Bangkok...maybe on those days when it just rains ALL day long. Otherwise, if I have nothing specific planned, I get out my map, find a temple to use as a base, then I explore the temple first and then the neighborhoods surrounding it. I never fail to find something that piques my interest and I get lots of walking exercise that way.

I do not think Bangkok is a boring city but I find myself often very bored here.

Wasabi,

Your first sentence says it all. Bangkok is not the problem. It's you. What more can one say? You're in the wrong place.