Caribbean Cheaper/more Expensive Than Thai?

steadfast

Just had a mail from a friend who's thinking of changing his holiday from here in Thailand to the Caribbean, for no other reason than that he's been here but never there. I told him I thought it would probably be quite a bit more expensive, is it?

In last 3 years I have been to Bahamas and both coast of Mexico in last year. Bahamas are so expensive, and Mexico is getting on par with States with prices. We as usual were looking for several items we thought we could save some money. We checked the prices in the States and Mexicos prices were close to same or more. Not many bargains. I know that wasn't your question, but was in the neighborhood. Maybe will help some.

Edited by denissr

An all inclusive (flight, hotel, food, drinks) holiday package to the Dominican Republic will be cheaper than a holiday in Thailand. But you will spend the whole day in the hotel compound, staff discourage people from going outside, they say it's dangerous.

There are similar packages for Isla da Marguarita (Venuzuela), don't know about the price level.

For individual travellers, some of these islands are VERY expensive (Aruba), but there are also less touristy islands with a more acceptable price level.

Would like to hear from people with first hand experience.

The dominican rep. is about the same for low cost places to stay, but not as much to do there. I was there about 2 years ago for a week with friends, i think we payed 1000 usd for one week with food and drink, granted one of the guys we were with got a real nasty case of food poisioning and ended up in the hospital.... it was fun but not a whole lot of infastructure when compared to thailand. Good if you just want to hang at the beach... there are a few cheap areas in the carribean, hati, cuba, dr, dominica, some parts of jamacia but your gonna get what you pay for in these places, and you should be comfortable with not exactly blending in, if you want cheap that is. If you want western standard places to stay your gonna pay the same as you would in thailand or anywhere for that matter

The dominican rep. is about the same for low cost places to stay, but not as much to do there. I was there about 2 years ago for a week with friends, i think we payed 1000 usd for one week with food and drink, granted one of the guys we were with got a real nasty case of food poisioning and ended up in the hospital.... it was fun but not a whole lot of infastructure when compared to thailand. Good if you just want to hang at the beach... there are a few cheap areas in the carribean, hati, cuba, dr, dominica, some parts of jamacia but your gonna get what you pay for in these places, and you should be comfortable with not exactly blending in, if you want cheap that is. If you want western standard places to stay your gonna pay the same as you would in thailand or anywhere for that matter

If you live in the USA, it is almost certainly less expensive because of reduced flight cost. There are very expensive islands and less expensive islands.

Grand Bahama Island is less expensive.......not a lot to do but watersports.......great food. Jamaica can be both expensive and non-expensive.....bargains can be found.

I would also consider the coast of Mexico......lots to see and do. They always have good deals at many places along the Pacific coast.......can be lots of fun......of course, Cancun on the other side.

The nicer destinations (Barbados, Antigua, Virgin Islands (British)) are more expensive than Thailand hands down. Yes you can get some lower cost package deals, but the places just aren't comparable to what you can get in Thailand. Nor is the food. Places like the Dominican Republic and Cuba can certainly offer better package deals but again the outside options are not much fun. I If you want a great deal there is always Haiti and Jamaica, but you basically go there knowing that if you step outside the hotel you will be mugged. All the other little islands like Nevis, St Kitts are beautiful, but expensive.

Martinique had the riots recently and St Marten is filthy. I've been to all these places and if you factor out the airfare differences, Thailand's value is much better. Even with higher airfare, the hospitality and service levels available in SE Asia quickly compensate.

I've been all over the Carribean and I'd gladly pay a bit more given the choice between the surly chip on the shoulder Carrbean attitude and the friendly Thai smiles and friendlieness.

And I'm not the biggest fan of the Thai hospitality industry either.

Edited by geriatrickid

Just had a mail from a friend who's thinking of changing his holiday from here in Thailand to the Caribbean, for no other reason than that he's been here but never there. I told him I thought it would probably be quite a bit more expensive, is it?

Depends where he is flying from :):D:D

I have has some great holidays in Jamaica & Barbados but I was lucky to get good UK based all inclusive deals.

But think about where we are living, that says it all IMHO.

:D

Dave

The nicer destinations (Barbados, Antigua, Virgin Islands (British)) are more expensive than Thailand hands down. Yes you can get some lower cost package deals, but the places just aren't comparable to what you can get in Thailand. Nor is the food. Places like the Dominican Republic and Cuba can certainly offer better package deals but again the outside options are not much fun. I If you want a great deal there is always Haiti and Jamaica, but you basically go there knowing that if you step outside the hotel you will be mugged. All the other little islands like Nevis, St Kitts are beautiful, but expensive.

Martinique had the riots recently and St Marten is filthy. I've been to all these places and if you factor out the airfare differences, Thailand's value is much better. Even with higher airfare, the hospitality and service levels available in SE Asia quickly compensate.

I've been all over the Carribean and I'd gladly pay a bit more given the choice between the surly chip on the shoulder Carrbean attitude and the friendly Thai smiles and friendlieness.

Well, Much of the population of the Carribien are decendents of slaves and blame westerners.

Lately the Thai are blaming us for economic slavery :)

Well, Much of the population of the Carribien are decendents of slaves and blame westerners.

Lately the Thai are blaming us for economic slavery :)

I do not think that I have ever come across a Thai who beleives that they suffer from "economic slavery"

Edited by jbaldwin