America Bull Frog

Usana

If you google you will find they are sold and shipped by several people, Arkansas is a good place to start as they have huge ones. legs the size of chicken legs. Might be tough getting them air freighted to you in Thailand, maybe not shipping but to take delivery. They are banned by several states in the US as they are so prolific and eat any and everything they can find.

If you google you will find they are sold and shipped by several people, Arkansas is a good place to start as they have huge ones. legs the size of chicken legs. Might be tough getting them air freighted to you in Thailand, maybe not shipping but to take delivery. They are banned by several states in the US as they are so prolific and eat any and everything they can find.

THank you slapout .

Hi all

I have been looking for the armerica bull frog breeding pair ..... any idea ???

Usana,

Given that most of Europe has banned them, because of their prolific nature as already mentioned, why in the world would you want to risk adding this pest to Thailands ever so fragile habitat?

To you posters who are worried about Thailands fragile ecosystem, do you really believe that if something as edible as a bullfrog did escape from captivity into the wild that it would ever be allowed to establish itself? I think it would be turned into tom yum ghop long before it matured and reached breeding age. I say go for it Usana half the things raised here are not native to Thailand and most of the original creatures that are native are so rare that its like a blessing to see any living creature other then snakes and rats any place other then zoos.

I have to agree with the above WHY ? Introducing an alien species into a country can be devastating to the local wildlife. I would think twice about it!

Agreed, look what the introduced cane toad has done to Australia.

To you posters who are worried about Thailands fragile ecosystem, do you really believe that if something as edible as a bullfrog did escape from captivity into the wild that it would ever be allowed to establish itself? I think it would be turned into tom yum ghop long before it matured and reached breeding age. I say go for it Usana half the things raised here are not native to Thailand and most of the original creatures that are native are so rare that its like a blessing to see any living creature other then snakes and rats any place other then zoos.

What can I say Wagner. No doubt you have eaten many bullfrogs in your time. Personally I've not seen it on many menus - anywhere. As to the native species thing. I must be lucky, sitting on my back verandah this morning, I saw 2 species of squirrel, 3 different birds and the odd lizard or 2 - all native. But enough, the question is still WHY ? -The poster hasn't yet told us that.

Interestingly, a bit of Googling reveals that the American Bullfrog is the main edible frog farmed in Thailand, this must be the one that Thai Fisheries Dept. breed and sell at almost all their Divisional Headquarters .

I have seen them at Udon Thani office but did not realise they were "imports".

The American bullfrog is a tough critter to raise in a enclosed environment and feeding is another problem. I was amazed at the man having success feeding frogs on fish meal etc. I used to capture the frogs in fall, put in large pond and hope they did not migrate prior to cold weather and hibernation (thus they would stay in one place). They feed on live food, bugs, small fish , birds, snakes etc. The info that I found (at that time) mentioned they mate for life, like geese, etc. I just took the chance that when I found a good pond with frogs I would get some of the mates just by chance. The Chinese have found a way to raise commercially by supplying maggots/larva on a shake table as a food source (info from internet). This is dated info and experience and maybe there is a chance to raise on a commercial basis. It would require moving the breeding pair/ pairs after eggs laid as they will eat the young after hatch. Same with tadpole and frog stage as the latter will eat the former. Pictures that I have seen on this forum are of good sized frogs, but color was not the green/yellow I was expecting. If they are here already and they can be fed store bought or produced feed, you have the proper facilities for separating, breeding, etc, there is a huge market for the legs around the world, thus the potential profit may be there. I have never seen or heard one in the wild here in Thailand in the Fang, Chiang Doa, Chiang Mai areas.

Hi guys,

Two days ago, I have visited a frog farm in korat breeding american bullfrog apparently crossed with local frog. The color was not green and skin a little rough like toad. Anyway, I bought 2 large frogs which weigh approximately a kilo for tomyam. The legs are meaty and taste not much of different from those bullfrog which I ate in Singapore. I am also thinking of doing frog farming in korat. :)

Hello Dodobird, is that the big frog farm about 10Km N of Choho off Hwy 205?

The week before the Songkron holiday they had a fair downtown Korat, there was a display put on by Korat Suranaree Tech that had a pen of big frogs.

rice555