British Woman Killed In Thailand Hit And Run To Be Laid To Rest Back Home

sriracha john

A great many accidents happen on Samui, especially people who ride motorcycles. The narrow twisty road with steep ups and downs should have more warnings about it. Doesn't say exactly where on Samui that this hit n run accident took place. Wouldn't surprise me if it was near a bend and hill.

Hit and runs are an everyday occurance in Thailand for a variety of reasons: either they are drunk, scared of the victims friends will beat them to death, dont have a license (or fake license), and many other reasons (none of them valid).

Most of what people are saying is true: Look BOTH ways, car drivers are arrogant and ignorant, no footpaths, people must give way to cars, illegal bought licenses (500 baht), bad or no driver education, massive drunk driving, no policing, Foreigners unaware of the dangers of Thai driving, etc...

It can be the straightest road in the world and you can still get hit and die. For Thais its a fact/way of life, for foreigners its a needless tragedy. As has been said many times on this and other websites, someone needs to warn foreigners of the dangers of visiting countries such as Thailand. (Thailand will not change so its our reponsibility to be aware of the dangers). This will make travelers stay safer and happier, please DO; tell your friends and relatives and newspapers and websites of these dangers and help others not to fall into the pitfalls of another country.

In my job I have had more trauma experience in the last 9 years than an ER doctor would have in his lifetime back home!

My deepest condolences to the family and the victims RIP

I posted before. but for some reason it hasn't shown up... so here it is again!

I am one of only 3 felang that work as volunteer paramedics for Samui Rescue (all 3 of us based at Maenam, and 1 of them my son)... my son and I were part of the Samui Rescue team called to this terrible scene. For the record, the male that died was South African (I know this because I also double-up as the scene 'recorder' and photographed his personal belongings 'at scene', as well as the scene itself.). The injuries suffered by both of them are indescribable.

Unfortunately this kind of situation is happening more and more on Samui. As a biker for close to 40 years, I was among the first to scream out loud when they made wearing helmets compulsory in England... but now?! Maybe it is my age, but I cringe when I see holiday-makers (and long-stayers) riding around without a helmet on the crazy roads of Samui. Please understand... helmets would NOT have saved these two unfortunate souls... but close to 95% of the accidents I get to (involving motorbikes) have serious head injuries due to the fact that helmets were not worn. Only recently I was called out to an accident in BoPhut at 1am one night to find the seriously injured felang man lying face down with a pool of blood around his head was actually a friend! Although seriously injured, he did survive (Hi Joris!!). Please guys... Samui is a dangerous place to ride a bike at the best of times, but you can improve your chances tremendously by WEARING A HELMET!!

My advice? Use your bike as a means of transport (as opposed to riding for 'fun')... ride as though a cement lorry was out to get you but you never quite know when/where... expect the unexpected at all times... don't ride when drunk... AND WEAR A HELMET!!

There are too many people dying needlessly on Samui's roads... every one is tragic... please don't add to them!

My sincerest condolences to the families of those involved... and may Claire and her boyfriend rest in peace - and I hope never to see any of you in my capacity as a Rescue Paramedic!

Peace and safe riding!

Sad events.

Perhaps time to remind all member to ensure that your travel insurance includes repatriation of your remains.

Excellent point! Also... ensure that your travel insurance (if you are a holiday-maker), or personal insurance actually covers you for riding a bike. A lot of Travel Insurance policies will not cover bike riding... those that do tend to cover only up to 50cc, and only if you wear a helmet!

My deepest sympathies to the family and friends of the victim on this tragic lost.

I hope we have some information on the boyfriend.

He was called Hugo and was born in Portugal, then became a citizen of South Africa.

He was applying for his British citizenship, he may have received it.

He was a warm hearted man who will be dearly missed.

My condolences go out to his family who are informed of this tragedy.

A great many accidents happen on Samui, especially people who ride motorcycles. The narrow twisty road with steep ups and downs should have more warnings about it. Doesn't say exactly where on Samui that this hit n run accident took place. Wouldn't surprise me if it was near a bend and hill.

Hit and runs are an everyday occurance in Thailand for a variety of reasons: either they are drunk, scared of the victims friends will beat them to death, dont have a license (or fake license), and many other reasons (none of them valid).

Most of what people are saying is true: Look BOTH ways, car drivers are arrogant and ignorant, no footpaths, people must give way to cars, illegal bought licenses (500 baht), bad or no driver education, massive drunk driving, no policing, Foreigners unaware of the dangers of Thai driving, etc...

It can be the straightest road in the world and you can still get hit and die. For Thais its a fact/way of life, for foreigners its a needless tragedy. As has been said many times on this and other websites, someone needs to warn foreigners of the dangers of visiting countries such as Thailand. (Thailand will not change so its our reponsibility to be aware of the dangers). This will make travelers stay safer and happier, please DO; tell your friends and relatives and newspapers and websites of these dangers and help others not to fall into the pitfalls of another country.

In my job I have had more trauma experience in the last 9 years than an ER doctor would have in his lifetime back home!

I am one of only 3 felang that work as volunteer paramedics for Samui Rescue (all 3 of us based at Maenam, and 1 of them my son)... my son and I were part of the Samui Rescue team called to this terrible scene. For the record, the male that died was South African (I know this because I also double-up as the scene 'recorder' and photographed his personal belongings 'at scene', as well as the scene itself.). The injuries suffered by both of them are indescribable.

Unfortunately this kind of situation is happening more and more on Samui. As a biker for close to 40 years, I was among the first to scream out loud when they made wearing helmets compulsory in England... but now?! Maybe it is my age, but I cringe when I see holiday-makers (and long-stayers) riding around without a helmet on the crazy roads of Samui. Please understand... helmets would NOT have saved these two unfortunate souls... but close to 95% of the accidents I get to (involving motorbikes) have serious head injuries due to the fact that helmets were not worn. Only recently I was called out to an accident in BoPhut at 1am one night to find the seriously injured felang man lying face down with a pool of blood around his head was actually a friend! Although seriously injured, he did survive (Hi Joris!!). Please guys... Samui is a dangerous place to ride a bike at the best of times, but you can improve your chances tremendously by WEARING A HELMET!!

My advice? Use your bike as a means of transport (as opposed to riding for 'fun')... ride as though a cement lorry was out to get you but you never quite know when/where... expect the unexpected at all times... don't ride when drunk... AND WEAR A HELMET!!

There are too many people dying needlessly on Samui's roads... every one is tragic... please don't add to them!

My sincerest condolences to the families of those involved... and may Claire and her boyfriend rest in peace - and I hope never to see any of you in my capacity as a Rescue Paramedic!

Peace and safe riding!

Would it be possible to say anything more at all about the scene you witnessed?

I will understand if you would rather not but i would appreciate it very much if you could.

I remember recently some nobhead was having a dig at the UK for police using speeding cameras to catch criminals.This could have stopped the madmen on the thai roads.

But it wouldn't would it? The cameras need switching on and maintaining (have you been to any high-tech displays in Thai museums - often supplied by foreign aid - they always end up completely unusable). The images also need to be interpreted correctly. Then the police need to find the culprits - having someone caught on camera in Thailand is of little help in this. In this case they have the vehicle and know who they are looking for but they still haven't found him. Then the culprits have to be convicted in court. Then they have to serve their sentences. I have serious doubts that the enormous costs involved in using speed cameras would improve safety on Thai roads because all these factors are involved in Thai 'justice'. What they need is more traffic police who are selected, paid and trained better to do their jobs. But then, TIT.

Edited by Tyke

Peace and safe riding!

I will understand if you would rather not but i would appreciate it very much if you could.

I'm not quite sure what could be got out of saying more about the scene... if your reasons are personal (family, friend etc) then I have no problem in having a chat with you about it. I know that, in some situations, talking things through like this can help as part of the grieving process, and anything I can do to help family or friends find a way to help come to terms with this tragedy, I will willingly do. (ask any Rescue volunteer where 047 is - better in Thai... "SOON-SEE-JET"... this is my number and they will be able to find me over the radio). If you are just someone who likes 'things like this', then don't bother (No offence meant if you are not!). Apart from that, I don't think that there is much point about going into detail in a public forum (As well as the lack of respect it would show). Suffice it to say that it was obvious that they had no chance of avoiding the head-on impact, and that (although I am NOT a doctor) I would have thought that they died immediatly upon that impact. Both people, as well as the bike, were thrown some 10+ metres. I have seen a lot of tragic accidents on my 'patch' (BoPhut to this side of the mountain just before Nathon), and what really cuts deep is the fact that the vast majority of them were due to drunk driving, crazy driving, plain 'speeding', lack of driving skill, and (as regards motorbike injuries) NOT wearing a helmet. All 'avoidable' ... but you know the strangest thing?... In the couple of years I have been doing this (Samui Rescue) I have no recollection of EVER having gone to an accident involving a 'big' bike (as opposed to the Honda Wave/Click type bikes). Yet, on the surface, you would think that these would definitely be the most dangerous! BIKERS!!! PLEASE WEAR A HELMET!! EVERYBODY!!! DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!! Nobody gets on their bike thinking 'tonight I'm going to die'... nobody gets into their car thinking 'tonight I'm going to kill someone'... but it happens non-the-less! Have a look at the 'Samui Rescue' site on YouTube to get more of an idea.

Ride and drive safe people.

Peace and safe riding!

Another point often missed about the deadly Samui ring road is the fact that it is just a 'boxed up' concrete slab. The edge is not tapered off like a bituman road, but in fact a sudden drop off the thickness of the concrete which has got the sand pushed against it. Get your front wheel to slip off the concrete edge and its like trying to ride a bicycle up a tram line.................you are a gonner ! I know i was once a victim, fell across the road but lucky that there were no trucks etc following. So always keep away from the edge of the road.

Still love Samui though !

Tragic Claire killed in holiday crash

RELATIVES of a Suffolk charity worker killed in a hit and run accident while on holiday in Thailand have today paid tribute to a “beautiful and intelligent woman” and a “fantastic mother.”

And in a tragic twist it emerged today that her partner had also been killed in the same accident.

Mum-of-one Claire Cox, 42, and her South African partner Hugo, 32, were killed instantly during a break on the Island of Koh Samui when a pick-up truck on the wrong side of the road ploughed into the couple who were riding a hired moped.

Claire, who lived in from Bramford Road, Ipswich, with 17-year-old son Adam, worked as a finance administrator for Mencap Ipswich and was involved in the Genesis Project, which aims to improve the lives of disabled people in Suffolk.

Speaking a week after Claire's funeral, her 39-year-old sister Joanne Brown, who lives in Buckinghamshire, said the whole ordeal had been “totally traumatic” for the family.

"She was a beautiful, intelligent, and sensible woman on her first long-haul adventure."

"She was in a new relationship with Hugo and they were getting on brilliantly."

"Claire was the most fantastic mother and she lived for Adam. She was a credit to him and he is a credit to her."

“She was hugely respected at work and loved by everyone - a strong woman with good morals and attributes.”

Thai police are still investigating the accident, which happened on April 29, and are looking to question a truck driver. Shortly before Claire's death, Thai English-language newspaper The Nation reported that 81 people had been killed in hit-and-run incidents in and around the capital Bangkok during January, February, and March.

Mrs Brown said: "I have lost my sister and there is nothing I can do about it. I can't bring her back but if I can stop just one more needless death then I will have done something."

"I'm angry at a lot of things, but if her death can stop someone else getting on the back of a bike in Thailand it would help our family get through all the madness we're going through."

“The Thai police are investigating and we have had almost weekly contact with the foreign office, but trying to find information is like walking through glue. We may have to wait three or four months for a report on the accident."

"All we were told within the first 48 hours of her death was that she was killed on the back of a bike and we still don't know much more than that."

"We are obviously grieving as a family, but we also want to know that a proper investigation is being carried out."

Advice from the Foreign Office when travelling to Thailand:

An international or Thai driving licence is required to drive in Thailand.

Riding a motorcycle or scooter in Thailand can be dangerous.

On average 38 people a day die in motorcycle accidents in Thailand.

You should take the same safety precautions as in the UK. The Thai law that safety helmets must be worn is widely ignored: a contributing factor in many tourist deaths each year.

The motorcycles or scooters available for hire in beach resorts are often unregistered and cannot, consequently, be used legally on a public road.

Before you hire a vehicle you should check your travel insurance policy carefully to ensure that you are covered and check the small print of the lease agreement carefully.

You should never hand over your passport as a guarantee against returning a motor scooter or cycle. Unscrupulous owners have been known to hold on to passports against claimed damage to the motor scooter or cycle.

Riding quad-bikes can also be dangerous. You should also note that it is illegal to ride these on the roads in Thailand despite the fact that they are available to hire on the roadside.

- Evening Star (UK) / 2009-06-06