Abhisit Urges Smokers To Quit

george

Abhisit urges public to support anti-smoking campaigns

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva urged the public to support anti-smoking campaigns on the occasion of World No Tobacco Day Sunday.

Speaking during his weekly TV programme, said his government has been implementing anti-smoking measures to encourage the people to quit smoking for the sake of their own health.

The measures included the ban on tobacco advertisements, anti-smoking campaigns and raising tobacco excise tax.

He said the people, government agencies and private organisations should campaign for smokers to quit smoking.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-05-31

Abhisit urges public to support anti-smoking campaigns

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva urged the public to support anti-smoking campaigns on the occasion of World No Tobacco Day Sunday.

He said the people, government agencies and private organisations should campaign for smokers to quit smoking.

And of course Khun Abhisit will close (or at least sell-off) the largest purveyor of cigarettes in Thailand...the GOVERNMENT owned and run Thailand Tobacco Monopoly company.

Good for you - nicotine is a bigger Jones than cocaine, according to many experts, which might explain the difficulty staying off the narc for long periods of time. It - the urge to smoke - will be with you forever!! Know only that you must never smoke another cigarette again, and once you have that thought implanted securely, it simply becomes another mental lifestyle change - like controlling the urge to eat that candy bar or second helpings, and brushing your teeth, etc.

I have way too many buddies with horrific health issues caused by smoking - it is a catastrophic health issue, an extremely debilitating, demeaning death. Good luck - stay the course

BR>Jack

I would appreciate it if people don't bud into my private life and let me smoke if I want to do so :)

I am giving you that right, smoke as much as you want!

But, please, do and keep it private?

yeah yeah, I am in my office having a nice cigarillo. You don't mind now, do you :) ?

if people can keep it to themselves and the stink doesnt seep out under your door its ok , most smokers sit around nice outside areas puffing the crap all over the place with no respect.

Dude, I tend to smoke outside this is not nazi germany. I do not smoke in enclosed places out of respect for the non smokers but outside I WILL smoke. Thank you.

What gives you the right to make other people including young children suck your dirty second hand smoke , It is just wrong the sooner the laws come in that stop smokers smoking around non smokers the better for everyone.

trouble is at 49 THB a pack , its only pennies

now i am back in the uk, they are 5.50 GBP a pack or 302 THB !

i only have around 200 left from Thailand, and after that i will quit ... not pay silly prices for fags

Dude, I tend to smoke outside this is not nazi germany. I do not smoke in enclosed places out of respect for the non smokers but outside I WILL smoke. Thank you.
/

What gives you the right to make other people including young children suck your dirty second hand smoke , It is just wrong the sooner the laws come in that stop smokers smoking around non smokers the better for everyone.

Surely if you drive a car you are causing a lot more dirty fumes than a smoker. I'm a non smoker but I think this anti-smoking thing has gone to far (especially in the UK).

trouble is at 49 THB a pack , its only pennies

now i am back in the uk, they are 5.50 GBP a pack or 302 THB !

i only have around 200 left from Thailand, and after that i will quit ... not pay silly prices for fags

What are you smoking for 49 THB? I've recently been paying 58 THB for Falling rain.

I don't smoke in places where it bothers others, but don't scold me for having a smoke in the beach though :D

Go right ahead, but please do it downwind?

on buy a boat......south china sea is nice at this time of the year....init :)

I don't smoke in places where it bothers others, but don't scold me for having a smoke in the beach though :D

Go right ahead, but please do it downwind?

on buy a boat......south china sea is nice at this time of the year....init :)

buy a fleet and take your smoking buddies also

/

Surely if you drive a car you are causing a lot more dirty fumes than a smoker. I'm a non smoker but I think this anti-smoking thing has gone to far (especially in the UK).

Indeed mate, non smokers seem to think they own the earth now.

Whatever point you guys try to convey, I feel you are not discussing it properly. Well, I'm the one who just quit, so I guess that makes the one who should have a short temper, right ? :D

If I'm not mistaken, there are 2 issues in this conversation so far :

1 - people have the right to freedom

2 - smoking is terrible for health (and it stinks)

So well, I guess everyone should be satisfied if :

1 - non smoking good-doers would keep their 'saintity' to themselves, and let the ones who want to poisons themselves do so freely

2 - smokers would keep their smoke to themselves

This kind of compromise might be helpful until people learn how to tolerate the 'wrong' they see in others.

in the meantime, pls let me do the 'short temper thing' :)

Whatever point you guys try to convey, I feel you are not discussing it properly. Well, I'm the one who just quit, so I guess that makes the one who should have a short temper, right ? :D

If I'm not mistaken, there are 2 issues in this conversation so far :

1 - people have the right to freedom

2 - smoking is terrible for health (and it stinks)

So well, I guess everyone should be satisfied if :

1 - non smoking good-doers would keep their 'saintity' to themselves, and let the ones who want to poisons themselves do so freely

2 - smokers would keep their smoke to themselves

This kind of compromise might be helpful until people learn how to tolerate the 'wrong' they see in others.

in the meantime, pls let me do the 'short temper thing' :)

the problem is that 80 percent of smokers have no consideration for others , only today i sat down in to small resteraunts and left early because of inconsiderate smokers

I was in Melbourne last week have'nt been there much over the past 5 years and the air felt so good in my lungs as it was cool and clean compared to bangkok , however when I went to burke st mall " outside mall" was full of cigarette smokers stuffing a nice city up and butts everywhere.

give us a break you smokers

I quit 23 years ago... used to smoke up to 30 - sometimes 40 a day... so glad I don't now... sometimes though, I think it would be really easy to start again... my hubby is into the occasional cigar and I joined him in one the other day, you know, just a little skinny, coffee flavoured thing... it was great!!! Made me feel really sick and I got a headache, but mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm twas great!

BUT.... not gonna do it again, I think it would always be easy to get back into it but it's a (and I quote my 16 year old son)

"stupid thing to do"....