Yamaha Sr 400

Can anyone advise me what a Yamaha SR 400 is worth in Thailand? I had a look at one today.

Reasonable condition, 12,000km, motor looks like it's been re-built, drum brakes, no registration plate.

The guys asking 49,000 baht for for it, seems a bit steep.

12,000 is pretty cheap for a SR. The engine is undestroyable. I had a SR 500 more than 16 years, 14 with bigbore 600cc. Not problem in all the time with tours all over europe. Many km with 2 people. Highway, mountains, dessert (Tunesia) never stops. Buy it!

Can anyone advise me what a Yamaha SR 400 is worth in Thailand? I had a look at one today.

Reasonable condition, 12,000km, motor looks like it's been re-built, drum brakes, no registration plate.

The guys asking 49,000 baht for for it, seems a bit steep.

Hi

As suggested there are problems with unregistered bike especially in Tourist cities. Here in Isaan, even the police ride unregistered bikes!!!

I have been looking to buy one of these bikes for quite some time and now have a further three friends who want them!

For 49k I would expect a good conditioned original bike circa 1995>97. They all have front twin leading shoe drum brakes until 2001/2. Most treasured bikes go for 55>120,000 baht

If anyone has any bright ideas how I can source 4 x SR400's at a goood bulk price, I'd appreciate it.

Dave

• 3 months later...
Hi, I will be visiting Bangkok next week and would like to poke my head around town for places which carries SR400 cafe racer parts.

Can someone point me to the right direction? Can't find a translation website for Thai which makes things a little tough..

Thing is SR400's are really rare in Bangkok because they're pretty much impossible to register and therefore impossible to ride in Bangkok where the BiB are all over unplated bikes. Tons of SR400's in Chonburi and Rayong and there's a club dedicated to SR400's in Chonburi called the Friends Highway. These guys have their own shop and a collection of absolutely stunning SR400's done up in all different styles. If you can track them down I'm sure they could help you out.

Check out some of these beauties!

1012SRSm.jpg

1012SR3Sm.jpg

1012SR1Sm.jpg

Happy Trails!

Tony

Hi, I will be visiting Bangkok next week and would like to poke my head around town for places which carries SR400 cafe racer parts.

Can someone point me to the right direction? Can't find a translation website for Thai which makes things a little tough..

Given up looking now, bought a honda 400:D

You might want to try here.....

http://www.dbigbike.com/webboard/index.php?board=45.0

Dave

>>motor looks like it's been re-built, drum brakes, no registration plate<<

Scrap value ,or one beer Chang ,which ever is the greater . :)

I disagree with you.

They are nice looking 'classic style' bikes and very popular.

All had twin drum brakes until around 2002.

If they were that bad, why would Yamaha have produced them for 30 years (till 2008)??

Dave

I had SR 500s, including 2 of the last 400 Limited Editions with drum brakes at the front.

The engines are solid, just start them and then put on the gloves and the helmet. Wait for the oil to circulate well before you start riding.

lovely bike - but how can you make it legal - ever?

Even 19,000 Baht would be too much if any cop could take it away.

And just the import duty and stuff, how much does it entail to make it legit?

Mate, the SR shouldn't require engine work below 30,000 km, often 60,000 km.

Who are they fooling by fiddling with the odometer? :)

Chris

Dave the Dude, are you sure about Yamaha making the SR until 2008?

I bought 2 of the last Limited Edition models with a signed certificate etc. It was to celebrate the end of production of this great bike.

AFAIK they stopped production after 20 years. Japan and Germany has a huge following - and these markets didn't get any more either AFAIK.

Chris

Dave

Nice one DTD but more info on the Honda 400 please :D Is it top of the range, just like your truck :)

Dave

Nice one DTD but more info on the Honda 400 please :D Is it top of the range, just like your truck :D

:D:D If only

All my life Ive hated wannabe Harleys as much as Hardley Drivablesons, so I bought a customised Steed 400. :D

Bought as a project bike and its cost me 3 times what I expected to get it roadworthy & safe (but I bought it very, very cheap AND REGISTERED) :)

My friend now works in the garage were I got you your CBR150 and he is a great mechanic & all round good Guy(thats his name BTW).

Its running great now Judas and I've already been offered double what I spent on it, so things are not all bad.

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

Yep, I do remember your colorful description of Harley's stood outside the Honda dealer :D IIRC you're more into litre bikes etc but that should make it easy for me to spot you on the road in Surin.

You'll be the only guy with a chopper, tucked in on the tank and knee down in the curves :)

Enjoy.

Jack

• 1 month later...