Nintendo Ds

mdechgan

No point getting the DS. It's big, bulky and the screen is dark and dim.

The DS Lite is a nice piece of hardware. The going rate is around 5,000 baht. Then you need to add a memory card reader (so you can backup and play your legal games from one place, without having to swap game "cartridges".) and screen protector.

The DSi is brand new and costs a little more (a package of a DSi, memory card reader, screen protectors would set you back 9,000 or so).

Make sure to test the hardware before buying. You do not want to buy one with dead or stuck pixels on the screen. Also, listen to the speakers and plug in headphones to verify the clarity of the sound. Make sure you get a charger that allows you to charge in Thailand (ie. 220Volts). A replacement, non-nintendo, universal charger should set you back 150 baht.

If you need access to backed up games, PM me.

Yes it's best to go to MBK and buy and DS Lite and R4 at the same time (also a 2gig card microsd card if you do not have one)

The new DSi has a upgradeable bios that Ninentdo will surely update often to thwart the R4 and other such devices so I would steer clear from that right now

The only memory card reader that works for DSi is "Acekard" (800-1000 baht). This one has worked from day 1 and still continues to do so even with firmware updates.

If Nintendo starts playing the cat-and-mouse game with firmware updates, then they will surely be frustrated.

Personally I recommend the SuperCard line of readers for the DS Lite. My old SuperCard SD (a bit bulky though) still works to this day with all games. No guessing there.

If the DS lite is roughly half the price of the DSi I would consider the DS lite. For 9,000 I would probably consider purchasing the Xbox360 or PSP.

I just like the DS games because some of the games are really fun as easy to play. The mrs. could easily pickup and play instead of nagging me for some pointless reasons. I don't hink I can teach the mrs. to play xbox Halo or some of the mind intesive PSP games.