Wild-caught Fish In Bangkok?

abracadaver

I've read that the vast majority of seafood in Bangkok is now farm-raised, which means being raised in confined tanks (tankfood not seafood) and polluted aquaculture farms.

Does anyone know where I can purchase wild-caught fish, fish caught in the open sea from fishing boats? Many thanks in advance.

I've read that the vast majority of seafood in Bangkok is now farm-raised, which means being raised in confined tanks (tankfood not seafood) and polluted aquaculture farms.

Does anyone know where I can purchase wild-caught fish, fish caught in the open sea from fishing boats? Many thanks in advance.

FreshHOMEmart advertise in thai food magazines like KRUA, Food Stylist, and FoodLife that all their sea food is directly coming form the fishermen ports of Rayong, Chonburi, Samutsongran and Surattani .... Did not check it myself .... thats what the ad says....

Also, you shoud visit the wholesale food market Dtalalt Thai for good quality sea food... another option is going to Bangkungtien in rama II area, alot of fishing is done there... further out is Don Hoi Lort... enjoy

Just step out side during the many flash floods now(rainy season) you should be able to catch some WILD Fish all by yourself, no kidding :):D:D

sure...but i think the OP mention the word "sea".... so i assumed he is after salt water fishes..... you can fish in the canal in front of my home if you wish ;-)) i don't know how "cleaner" it will be comparing to the no-no farm raised fishes....

Edited by aircut

FreshHOMEmart advertise in thai food magazines like KRUA, Food Stylist, and FoodLife that all their sea food is directly coming form the fishermen ports of Rayong, Chonburi, Samutsongran and Surattani .... Did not check it myself .... thats what the ad says....

Also, you shoud visit the wholesale food market Dtalalt Thai for good quality sea food... another option is going to Bangkungtien in rama II area, alot of fishing is done there... further out is Don Hoi Lort... enjoy

Thanks, aircut; I appreciate the help. :)

• 4 weeks later...

The best way to ensure you are buying wild fish is to buy fish that are not viable to farm, or are not possible to farm.

The vast majority of pelagic fish are unsuitable for farming. So all of the mackerel family(including tunas) for example would be wild fish. Also squids/ cuttlefish family should all be wild. While trevally family are easily farmed some of the lower priced species wouldn't be economically viable, so African pompano would be a good choice. They are abundant in the gulf of T and other species of trevally would get a better price at market so I would expect all african pomps to be wild fish.

Cheap fish species such as hairtails, crescent perches, bigeyes, ponyfish, threadfin breams, small soles are all taken in huge numbers by trawlers in the gulf of T and so will be wild fish.

Fish to avoid buying would be baramundi(99.9% farm fish), also small grouper and snapper seem to be largely farm fish.

I wouldnt expect most seafood retailers to either know or care where the fish are sourced.