Carpenter / Woodworking Shop

foolforlove

Perhaps some members of this forum will remember an "ancient" device from 30-40 years ago called a slide rule.

It looked a little like a ruler and was used for doing calculations before the arrival of calculators.

I have the markings (ie scales) of a slide rule that I can print out from a PDF file.

But I'd like to find a small shop to fabricate a slide rule for me.

Anyone know of a place? If they only speak Thai, that is OK.

I just need a craftsman who would take the time to understand the requirements.

Thanks

Perhaps some members of this forum will remember an "ancient" device from 30-40 years ago called a slide rule.

It looked a little like a ruler and was used for doing calculations before the arrival of calculators.

I have the markings (ie scales) of a slide rule that I can print out from a PDF file.

Thanks

They still sell them in SUK SAH PAN all over Bangkok, these are stationary stores that are quite old school and are located in every district. Slide rules of all sizes there!

Thanks

They still sell them in SUK SAH PAN all over Bangkok, these are stationary stores that are quite old school and are located in every district. Slide rules of all sizes there!

Are you sure about this? Because I already went to one Suk Sah Pan (in Future Park Rangsit) looking for this before I posted.

Which Suk Sah Pan location have you recently found slide rules at? A search in Thai and English of the Suk Sah Pan website finds no hits.

I am more than willing to go to a Suk Sah Pan store - heck I even have a membership card - but not every location has the same merchandise.

If you can point to a particular branch location of Suk Sah Pan, I will go.

Thanks

Edited by foolforlove

Thanks

It all depends on where you are, in Thailand. I know a chap in Pattaya who coud do this, no problem; and he speaks perfect English as well.

Cheers

JGK/Pattaya

081-847 35 76

Edited by jaapfries

Thanks

Just for the record, I went to another Suk Sah Pan branch and brough the Thai Wikipedia entry on slide rules, which

gives the name in Thai, a description of its function in Thai, and a picture.

At this Suk Sah Pan, three employees puzzled over it and said they'd never heard of or seen such a thing.

Again, if you know which Suk Sah Pan branch has them.... please share the secret.

thanks

Thanks

;

You want a slide rule? A real one? If so, can you contact me privately? I do not know how to work all the features on this forum.