my rottie

Picture the scene, have just moved into a new house, wife is out, i'm working in the back room, Ben my dog of 5years is laying on the driveway out of sight of the front gate,i then hear the front gate bang close and run out to the garden too see a thai guy walking up the driveway to deliver the water bottles, what i see next doesn't bear thinking about !!!

Picture the scene, have just moved into a new house, wife is out, i'm working in the back room, Ben my dog of 5years is laying on the driveway out of sight of the front gate,i then hear the front gate bang close and run out to the garden too see a thai guy walking up the driveway to deliver the water bottles, what i see next doesn't bear thinking about !!!

Please do continue, although I think the story is going to be rather predictable.

Can we just continue the story a paragraph at a time?

....so, what I see next doesnt bare thinking about,

'that dirty little water man was doing the horizontal folke dance with my beloved rottweiler. I couldnt believe my eyes as the filthy little bugger finished the job and rolled up a thousand baht note & placed it carefully under the water bottle before heading next door to visit mrs jones cat' :)

I hope the delivery man had a gun and killed your nasty dog, but you seem to be proud to tell your little story, so I guess the stupid dog attacked the poor guy. Next time he will dump the bottles at the gate and you will carry them yourself, or he may come back and get rid of the dog, som nam na. People who can't even think of closing the gate with a proper lock shouldn't be allowed to have dogs like that. Could you imagine if it had been a kid?

I hope the delivery man had a gun and killed your nasty dog, but you seem to be proud to tell your little story, so I guess the stupid dog attacked the poor guy. Next time he will dump the bottles at the gate and you will carry them yourself, or he may come back and get rid of the dog, som nam na. People who can't even think of closing the gate with a proper lock shouldn't be allowed to have dogs like that. Could you imagine if it had been a kid?

I prefer my story sinclair, yours is so ahhhh, mmmmm PREDICTABLE! :)

I think the guy is asking for advice to prevent whatever happened from happening again.

"what i see next doesn't bear thinking about !!!" < this IMO rings more of distraught than an opportunity to gloat.

I think he is going inform us that the Rottweiler did nothing,!!! it just carried on with it’s nap. good guard dog

This story is only too common.

More often than not, the owner has not seen the signs that their dog is becoming aggressive, and it comes as a nasty shock too late. Unless your dog is made aware that this behaviour is unacceptable it will only get worse.

I truly sympathise as I had an aggressive dog a few years ago (but only with other dogs and other people), and had no idea how to sort the problem out. In the end I was reduced to either keeping a muzzle on him or putting him in a different room when others were around. Fortunately he was only a smallish dog so the danger wasn't in the same league as a Rottweiler!!

HOWEVER, recently I started watching 'The Dog Whisperer' on TV and now understand why he was aggressive, where I went wrong and, more importantly, how I could have solved the problem.

Get help NOW - before he seriously hurts someone. Watching 'The Dog Whisperer' is a good place to start! The man (Cesar Millan) is seriously brilliant at making owners understand why their dogs are behaving the way they are and how to resolve the issue.

without facts from the situation, we cant help the OP. and we certainly dont need this to turn in to a 'terrorist rottie' thread or i will close it.

so, OP, if u want some practical advice, then just state what happened w/o guesses and heresay; several people here are rottie owners and one or two are also dog behaviorists

so, we know it was

1.a male

2. five year old

3. a stranger walked in side gated yard with objects unidentified (to the dog that is) in hands, or maybe obscuring face or other body parts

4.new house (new territory so to speak) ....

OP, want to continue?.... neutered? normally well natured? etcetcetc....

and yes, i will re organize the title to be : 'my rottie , have a problem'

i can only hope this isnt trolled rottie stuff...

bina

israel

without facts from the situation, we cant help the OP. and we certainly dont need this to turn in to a 'terrorist rottie' thread or i will close it.

so, OP, if u want some practical advice, then just state what happened w/o guesses and heresay; several people here are rottie owners and one or two are also dog behaviorists

so, we know it was

1.a male

2. five year old

3. a stranger walked in side gated yard with objects unidentified (to the dog that is) in hands, or maybe obscuring face or other body parts

4.new house (new territory so to speak) ....

OP, want to continue?.... neutered? normally well natured? etcetcetc....

and yes, i will re organize the title to be : 'my rottie , have a problem'

i can only hope this isnt trolled rottie stuff...

bina

israel

I'm obviously missing something here, how was it turning into a "terrorist rottie" thread? :)

WHATEVER the circumstances, one has to assume that the dog behaved in a way the OP did not want. Therefore he needs to sort the problem out pronto, regardless of whether the dog is a Rottie or a Chiwawa!

Nothing happens next, apart from the dog opening one eye and looking at the guy as if to say "i'm trying to sleep Mr", now there's no way i would want him to attack the guy or even growl at him but i little bit of guarding instincts would be nice or just him standing up would be something, after all what if i wasn't in and the guy was burgling the place.

I suppose one good thing that has come out of this story is that not all Rottweilers are as dangerous as many people seem to think !

Edited by alfieconn

:):D :D

That sounds very familiar. My rott and Gsd's could do the same. Not always, and not after dark, though.

BTW, so far I've been told, when a gate is closed, locked or not, and someone is coming in uninvited it's seen as trespassing, which is against the law.

And a man who has lawsuits against him by children organizations and several veterinary behavior organizations is not the kind of person that I would like to follow. I don't say that all he says is incorrect, certainly not. But some of the methods he applies is pure animal abuse.

Edited by Nienke

And a man who has lawsuits against him by children organizations and several veterinary behavior organizations is not the kind of person that I would like to follow. I don't say that all he says is incorrect, certainly not. But some of the methods he applies is pure animal abuse.

I must admit he does seem to be a lot more alert after dark.

Sorry Nienke, you lost me a bit on the above quote, was you talking about cesar millan ?

I suppose one good thing that has come out of this story is that not all Rottweilers are as dangerous as many people seem to think !

Your conclusion that Rotts are not dangerous is based on just one reaction, and that reaction you hadn't anticipated at all! So it's exactly like people (or terrorists?) who base themselves on one bad reaction and say that Rotts are dangerous. The only difference is, a bad reaction can have irremediable consequences.

Anyway you seem pretty clueless about your dog, so you should seek some help, as other posters already advised.

Oh and by the way bina, vicious dogs are used like arms in my home country, to terrorize people. So don't call me the terrorist.

Your conclusion that Rotts are not dangerous is based on just one reaction, and that reaction you hadn't anticipated at all! So it's exactly like people (or terrorists?) who base themselves on one bad reaction and say that Rotts are dangerous. The only difference is, a bad reaction can have irremediable consequences.

Anyway you seem pretty clueless about your dog, so you should seek some help, as other posters already advised.

Oh and by the way bina, vicious dogs are used like arms in my home country, to terrorize people. So don't call me the terrorist.

I did not say that rotts are not dangerous, i said not all rotts are dangerous.

You need to read and think before you answer a topic !

His reaction was totally anticipated, you dont have a dog for 5 1/2 years and not know how he is going to react to certain situations.

It doesn't seem like you have ever owned a dog let alone a Rottweiler so i dont think you are really qualified to talk on this subject.

For your info the starter topic was not meant to be too serious, more of a way of letting people know what a Rottweiler can be like.

Stick to forums you know something about.

Sorry Nienke, you lost me a bit on the above quote, was you talking about cesar millan ?

Yes i was talking about him.

Placed some info on him a while ago: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Cesar-Millan-t273661.html

Oh and by the way bina, vicious dogs are used like arms in my home country, to terrorize people.

Just recently someone gave me a DVD of a tv presentation about dogs used as weapons in London.

Are the dogs vicious? No they are not. Are they MADE vicious? Yes, some are. Some are actually excellent trained and very obedient. Unfortunately, they are trained for a very wrong purpose.

Is it the dogs that are in the wrong? No, I don't think so. But it is certainly their owners who are very much in the wrong, plus that I think there is something very wrong with these people.

It is definitely a very dangerous development. :)

Edited by Nienke

certainly didnt call any person a terrorist; i dont want this or any other thread to turn in to the 'rottie terrorist' or 'pit bull killer' threads that usually occur here after a few posts....

and dogs here are also used as weapons: notably the canaani, malinois and german shehpherds. but they are also used as search and rescue dogs. so it is not the breed that is vicious but the training as nienke put it so well.

i liked the ending, but do us a favour, OP, that would almost be 'trolling' since you KNOW that the thread would bring out the other less favourable sides of the rottie.

F1- these type of threads pretty much always end up with gruesome stories of bad rotties ripping up kids, etc... that is what i meant, it wasnt directed at you or any one else.... i just felt i had to nip it all in the bud, as it were, before it gets out of hand. now if someone were to start a thread about a chihuahua eating the mother in law............

actually, different countries have different interpretations of trespassing laws. israel doesnt have a law about dogs biting a person for going thru a gated area. 'listed dangerous dogs must have muzzles when out in public areas, and certain breeds can only be owned by adults. ' thats about it for our laws. nowadays,also, we have become a mini texas and are allowed to shoot someone after identifying and asking for id, and the person is threatening your home/livestock. but thats for an other thread also.... we wont go there...

bina

israel

It doesn't seem like you have ever owned a dog let alone a Rottweiler so i dont think you are really qualified to talk on this subject.

I didn't know this forum was restricted to dog owners, sorry I'll pay more attention. Please allow me just one last post here. I'd be very much happy to have nothing to do with dogs in the first place, but people who own dogs tend to impose them on you anyway. Either it's because they sh** on the pavement, or bark all the time, or scare you when it's the guard dog type, or jump at you and lick you all over when it's the friendly type (while the owner is standing with a dumb smile and think how cute his dog is). So I have to live with dogs, everywhere I go, and now I also have to bear with dog owners saying that I'm not 'qualified to talk' and I should just shut up. But the truth is, I just wish all the dogs were like yours, they see a delivery man and they are intelligent enough to understand that it's not a threat. You should be proud of your dog, instead of being surprised or disappointed by its reaction. You did tell the beginning of the story as if the logical conclusion would have to be the mauling of the delivery man, and the (supposedly) funny thing is that it didn't happen.

Oh by the way let me end with a little story of my own. The other night after having a few drinks with my mates I was driving back home, quite fast but not dangerously (been driving this car for 5 years). Suddenly this motorbike comes in front of me from out of nowhere. What I see next doesn't bear thinking about! (But if you want to know about it I'll post the whole story in a forum dedicated to car owners.)

bina OK thanks for the clarification.

Edited by Sinclair

I didn't know this forum was restricted to dog owners, sorry I'll pay more attention. Please allow me just one last post here. I'd be very much happy to have nothing to do with dogs in the first place, but people who own dogs tend to impose them on you anyway. Either it's because they sh** on the pavement, or bark all the time, or scare you when it's the guard dog type, or jump at you and lick you all over when it's the friendly type (while the owner is standing with a dumb smile and think how cute his dog is). So I have to live with dogs, everywhere I go, and now I also have to bear with dog owners saying that I'm not 'qualified to talk' and I should just shut up. But the truth is, I just wish all the dogs were like yours, they see a delivery man and they are intelligent enough to understand that it's not a threat. You should be proud of your dog, instead of being surprised or disappointed by its reaction. You did tell the beginning of the story as if the logical conclusion would have to be the mauling of the delivery man, and the (supposedly) funny thing is that it didn't happen.

Oh by the way let me end with a little story of my own. The other night after having a few drinks with my mates I was driving back home, quite fast but not dangerously (been driving this car for 5 years). Suddenly this motorbike comes in front of me from out of nowhere. What I see next doesn't bear thinking about! (But if you want to know about it I'll post the whole story in a forum dedicated to car owners.)

bina OK thanks for the clarification.

Your not reading and thinking again are you ! where did i say i was surprised at his reaction ? in fact i said after 5 1/2 years i knows how he reacts to situations.

Why come on here if you cant get your facts right !

Perhaps you should go on the car forum with your strange little story because you most certainly must know about cars than you do about dogs.

I don't dislike dogs, although I detest the unpredictable breeds. Over my life I have had a chihuahua and a couple of mixed breeds. I love labs. But I tend to agree with you. Many dog owners -- I actually think not the minority -- do impose on the general public...at least in the States. I took a walk every day in my townhouse neighborhood and, yes, experienced virtually every thing you mentioned on a somewhat regular basis. Here in Thailand in just the past month I've known of two people who had to have rabies vaccine, and I myself have stepped in doo doo twice in the past month...and this is a city!

Dogs tend to be generally accepted, but I do think many dog owners (not all!) ought to learn some manners. To all those who already do, thank you for that and thank you for caring for one of god's creatures.

Yes i was talking about him.

Placed some info on him a while ago: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Cesar-Millan-t273661.html

Have you actually watched the programme or read any of his books???

He NEVER advocates 'punishment' techniques and I am still waiting to hear evidence to support this allegation! The only allegations I've read over the internet are that he believes in making dogs confront their fears, rather than comforting them - which he believes exacerbates the problem. Also, when he meets a truly aggressive dog, he puts them on their side in the 'submissive' posture. However, the programme stresses that this is not something that anyone can do as they could be bitten, and owners of an aggressive dog should seek professional advice!

Please let me know of anything he advocates that is a 'punishment technique'.

As far as I can see he was originally only called in when 'normal' dog trainers failed. He succeeded where they failed and there is jealously involved. The dog owners on the programme certainly aren't accusing him of cruelty - they are grateful that he has helped solve a problem that (often), dog trainers washed their hands of and, occassionaly, recommended that the dog was dangerous and should be put to sleep!!

I am a recent 'convert', only discovering the 'Dog Whisperer' programme a few months ago, but am amazed at his obvious natural ability to HELP dogs with behavioural problems.

Sorry to go a bit 'off-topic', but these general slurs against someone who provides excellent advice, particularly to people who have powerful dogs like rotties (and would therefore really benefit by the advice), really annoy me!!

p.s. Since I started practising his technique of being a 'calm, assertive pack leader' rather than just relying on nothing other than my love and affection, I've noticed that they love me far more! Rather than doing their own thing all the time, they prefer to be close to me!

Edited by F1fanatic

thats a rottweiler.this dog is a protection dog,so you should get professional help very quick...it starts like that and in the end he will bite somebody comin into your house...no offense,i love dogs,but espacially rottweilers have to have an experinced owner and with this behavior you have to handle quick as this dog can do big damage.

thats why i only have american staffords....no problems like this!the only problem is if some body breaks into my house the dog will think he has a new friend and will be very happy....but as long nobody knows everything is ok... :)

bkk,

read the few posts down....... the dog did NOTHING but open one eye :D )) .... that was the 'funny' point to the story....

a red herring story....

bina

The beauty of rotties is their ability to consider the situation. Well trained they dont bark or attack everyone arriving. The waterman behaved as he always does, he does not have a "stress pulse" like a burglar does, and the dog can keep on sleeping. Even in a new environment like OPs the rottie recognises the watermans pattern.

Rotties can be killers, eat children, attack old ladies and so on. Totally depending on their training, or more often lack of training or tasks.

But cars, or even worse trucks, are even more dangerous in the wrong hands.

I just hired a new maid, afraid of dogs, and my rottie doesnt even look at her. He sleeps in front of the gate when I m home (yes outside on the road all day) barks perhaps 5 times a day when some stranger with a stick or toolbox walks by, but totally ignore the new maid as if he understands she belongs (because I v said so) and doesnt want contact (because shes frightend) :) Lovely

It is always the people that have no experience that have the most to say! I have had over 10 dogs as personal pets and have trained over 30 for the Thai police and Navy, as well as Singaporean Army. Personally, I have had 2 Rotties but have trained all kinds of breeds from Alsatians to Turkish Anatolians. Rottweilers are lovely family oriented dogs with a drive. They are working dogs basically. If they are well socialised and given proper exercise, there are no problems. The problems arise, when the owners lock up their animals, mistreat them, entice aggression and use them as status symbol. Thus ignoring the bond and socialisation which must be established between owner(alpha) and the dog. I am not being an advocate for the Devil here but there is a lot of misinformation being fueled by ignorant people.

Edited by pluto_manibo

i worked with anatolians for a short time in a sheep guarding project in amherst mass., usa... they were from turkey, imported. not fun dogs. i put them in the category of shaar planitz (yugoslavian sheep dogs) and some of the other turkish and hungarian sheep guarding breeds...... very very difficult to work with unless u are a sheep. they were sent out to work in the west to guard livestock against coyotes. the project had problems because the anatolians were a one person only workable dog, and also had 'instinctive carnivore' problems i.e. like the canaani, sometimes the smell of placenta would trigger the dog to turn to eat the lambs, not protect them, even thought the pups were raised and nursed by sheep (sheep with teeth we used to call them)...

off topic but interesting all the same.

very popular here now as a nasty guarding dog: the asian shepherd; the cauasian dog (kgb dog), several others in the same 'type'.

unpredictable, difficult to work with. a guy on the kibbutz owns a czeck wolf dog (the hybrid dog/wolf ,even if one generation down the road). she's a gorgeous, heavy boned, silver tipped fur, stiff guard hairs, full tail, huge canines- and an attitude. we used foofoo the lhasa male i have , to be 'teaser' to see if she would stand for her going to be mate as these dogs oestrus is slightly different then a full canine domestic has.

her instincts /drive to hunt /kill a much higher then the ability to work with her on more then basic conditioned commands (food is the reward); one of her two month old pups killed a rabbit that crossed the pup's path; the hunting instinct is so well presesrved, but different pups came out differently (she was bred to a german shepherd male, to try to decrease her hunting drive slightly.

she is truly a dangerous dog since her actions are not predictable to domestic canine attributes. why he keeps her, i havent a clue. there are only three or four in israel and definately dont belong in a closely populated area like a kibbutz. i guess its also the status thing for him, as he also likes keeping his horses as stallions and not gelding, alrhough, again, his stabling set up is not really geared for an intact mature male... playing with guns........

bina

israel

It is always the people that have no experience that have the most to say! I have had over 10 dogs as personal pets and have trained over 30 for the Thai police and Navy, as well as Singaporean Army. Personally, I have had 2 Rotties but have trained all kinds of breeds from Alsatians to Turkish Anatolians. Rottweilers are lovely family oriented dogs with a drive. They are working dogs basically. If they are well socialised and given proper exercise, there are no problems. The problems arise, when the owners lock up their animals, mistreat them, entice aggression and use them as status symbol. Thus ignoring the bond and socialisation which must be established between owner(alpha) and the dog. I am not being an advocate for the Devil here but there is a lot of misinformation being fueled by ignorant people.

great post Pluto.

I m on my third rottie, and I actually find that rotties do not need very much physical exercise compared to other breeds I v dealt with like Huskies, Briard, Doberman and some terriers.

As you say rotties have a drive, and IMHO what they need are tasks. Like searching for something (keys are great, smell brass and lockoil), playing with a ping- pong ball (got to be gentle or it breaks!) or basicly any task.

As long as rottie feels closeness to family and managing their tasks, I find them absolutely troublefree. And what a drive and joy when you want them to work :)