Two Policies. 1 For Gen Health, One For Pa

eek

At present I wish to take out a low price insurance policy for general health, but worried about the low level of surgical fees the low level will cover if i have an accident. If i bump up the level of my insurance to cover a higher surgical fee, my insurance quote more than triples!

I know its a good idea to spend as much money on health insurance as possible etc etc. But i was thinking to go for a basic plan which only covers me for 22k (or 40k if i go for the higher plan) for surgical fees for gen health, then pay just a few thousand baht for a separate PA policy that covers me for up to 100k surgical fee if im involved in some kind of accident. Im 36 years old. I realise that we can come down with problematic health at any time in our lives, but anyway, i still would like to consider cost effective options.

Is this something you guys have done/doing yourselves too?

Thoughts?

In Thailand, if you can afford it, it is far better to self-insure. However, medical insurance can be a good deal for those who are massively obese or chain-smoke or have other afflictions that put them in the bottom 30% of the population in health condition. For the rest of us, insurance is just a very bad deal. Premiums go to just about anything but actual health care. Also, I don't think anyone wants to be in the position of ending up in an emergency room with first class coverage! Oh my, I can just see the unnecessary tests and wacko surgeries that would inevitably become "necessary".

In my case I went with a cheaper plan that covers hospitalization/major medical care only and cover outpatient care myself. I figured the difference in coverage levels from one plan to the next are covered by the money I save in premiums provided I remain healthy.

Its always hard to decide what level of insurance to have for protection but in most cases you are forced to decide based on your financial situation. Bottom line, its a crap shoot and you must decide how much risk your willing to take.