Nicest Drive Along Southern Isaan?

Yimmy

Hi, apologies if this should be in the driving forum, but guess the guys living in Isaan will have more experience. I'm planning a drive from BKK to Ubon for a few days, and don't want to go on the highways, but see some of the countryside, the national parks and khmer sites on the way.

1. Starting from bkk to Phi Mai in Khorat. Travelling through as much of the Khao Yai NP as possible. I'd also ike to stop off in Khao Yai NP and take in some of the views and waterfalls for a few hours.

What route would be the nicest. Route 304 upto Khorat?

2. From Khorat to Southern Buriram to visit Phanom Rung and Muang Tam.

Back down to route 24, and then can continue along to Ubon Ratchathani after going up to Buriram for the night?

Any recommendations and advice would be great.

Hi, apologies if this should be in the driving forum, but guess the guys living in Isaan will have more experience. I'm planning a drive from BKK to Ubon for a few days, and don't want to go on the highways, but see some of the countryside, the national parks and khmer sites on the way.

1. Starting from bkk to Phi Mai in Khorat. Travelling through as much of the Khao Yai NP as possible. I'd also ike to stop off in Khao Yai NP and take in some of the views and waterfalls for a few hours.

What route would be the nicest. Route 304 upto Khorat?

2. From Khorat to Southern Buriram to visit Phanom Rung and Muang Tam.

Back down to route 24, and then can continue along to Ubon Ratchathani after going up to Buriram for the night?

Any recommendations and advice would be great.

Yimmy, I have been doing a lot of looking around the south Buriram - Ubon area lately. Visited Phanom Rung and Muang Tam yesterday, good value. Pity much of the border area adjacent to Preah Vihear is closed.

If you are just cruising, I would recommend as much as possible you just follow the border, south of route 24. Lakes, waterfalls and Dong Rek 'mountains' all make it more scenic. The roads are a mix of excellent to badly potholed sealed roads. Big help if you have a GPS. Reserve time for S.E. corner and Lao border areas of Ubon.

PM me if you want specifics, glad to share.

The 304 from Bkk to Korat is okay but if you want off the highway and see views take the 3077 which heads north off the 33 east of Nakhon Nayok. You then switch to the 2090 which will bring you back into the 2 at Pak Chong. This route will run you through the park as you desire.

You can use google maps to check the route. You may not be up for mountain road drive but it has great views.