Must Be Time To Return Home

skipvice

I've minimized my complaints by visiting various cities in the country then selecting the one which fits best. We are living now in a small farming area where it is relatively quiet and unharried with lots of fresh air and often a nice breeze. We are not too far from the seashore (I like to visit Chao Lao Beach and Jomtien Beach now and then), and can afford to live a comfortable life here.

My challenges remain in eventually learning enough Thai so I do not always feel like a deaf mute, and in finding ways to deal with my unlimited free time. I am hopeful everything will be ok eventually, I just need to push myself to expand and adapt.

LOS works pretty well for me.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no right and wrong answer on these things. We all have our own personal balance sheets, good vs. bad, and whether it is desirable to stay or not. For me, it's easy. I am a lazy bugger and if I had to go back to the US I would have to get a job in an economy where jobs are very hard to get. Here I can be a happy bum. I will put of with a lot of dog shit on the pavement to stay here!

I totally agree with you; I put up with it all and dont really think about it, preferring to think more of the positives than the negatives I just satisfy myself with a lifestyle as a laid back stress free retiree, whereas if I went back to the UK I would have to work to supplement my pension....no contest...I was born to retire!!

and I dont spend my time in bars....

Edited by Tafia

OK, OK already, the main reason The wife and I are returning home is we miss the grandkids,

They are 1/4 thai, My daughter is hafe Thai. we want to spend more time with them as they grow up.

Be visting the wife's family 3 Months a year. Iam getting Old and cranky, we have a home in the suburbs and a very quite area in Washington State. All the reasons for leaving are just to justify our decision.

Your reason is basically the same as ours.

While I do not have grand kids yet I do have children grown as well as siblings & a mother here.

Also surprisingly my wife prefers it here where she works in the dental industry & earns good money. Also I have a good 10-15 years of earning potential here.

But still like you we also have older family in Thailand & enjoy being there 3 months a year. We also own our residence in Thailand & have no intention of selling. We may retire there full time in the future.

Good Luck to you & yours in your move. I have seen pictures of Washington State & it has some very beautiful areas too.

Take Care.

things I Like

1. The weather

2. The friendly people (see things I hate)

3. cost of living

4. Beautiful Temples & landscapes

5. Nice Golf cources

things I dislike

1. too hot at times

2. Noise-every were you go,can not escape it.

3. santiary conditions, burning garbage, dirty water,dog crap on the side wallks,food stalls serving cold food that should be hot while picking there nose.

4. Double pricing

5. Rude Thai males, if they got a little money,they think there crap don't stink.

6. being constantly interupeted while talking or talked over as if what you have to say is not important or don't matter because you are a falang.

7. Laws not inforced (coruption)

yea I know, if you don't like it here leave. I came to Thailand to retire and injoy life and its just not working for me.

THINGS YOU DISLIKE

1/ Did you not know that its hot here???

2/ fancy living in London then

3/ This is south east asia

4/ London has realy bad double pricing for tourists

5/ All posters have complained about bad farangs over here

6/ you bettter not meet my dad,he would make thais sounds silent

7/ corruption every where including the english governement

Sounds like you have other issues

"London has really bad double pricing for tourists". Examples???

You are not considering the female factor. Take that away and I think there would be a lot less people here trying to convince themselves that it's so much better than their own home country's.

Exactly. If Thai women were not the among the most attractive in the world then 90% of foreign males would not live here.

things I Like

1. The weather

3. cost of living

5. Nice Golf cources

things I dislike

1. too hot at times

3. santiary conditions, burning garbage, dirty water,dog crap on the side wallks,food stalls serving cold food that should be hot while picking there nose.

4. Double pricing

5. Rude Thai males, if they got a little money,they think there crap don't stink.

6. being constantly interupeted while talking or talked over as if what you have to say is not important or don't matter because you are a falang.

yea I know, if you don't like it here leave. I came to Thailand to retire and injoy life and its just not working for me.

THINGS YOU DISLIKE

1/ Did you not know that its hot here???

2/ fancy living in London then

3/ This is south east asia

4/ London has realy bad double pricing for tourists

5/ All posters have complained about bad farangs over here

6/ you bettter not meet my dad,he would make thais sounds silent

7/ corruption every where including the english governement

Sounds like you have other issues

"London has really bad double pricing for tourists". Examples???

It was reported in the papers a few years ago that ice cream sellers were asking for 10 quid for a cone to foreigners who couldnt speak english,and taxi drivers ripping them off too.Happens all over the world mate.

It was reported in the papers a few years ago that ice cream sellers were asking for 10 quid for a cone to foreigners who couldnt speak english,and taxi drivers ripping them off too.Happens all over the world mate.

A few "reported" incidents does not come close to the widespread practises in Thailand.

please do not turn this thread unto something that was not intended by me, I was not Thai Male Bashing only ment that some of rich thai men, that I have come across as stuck up, exspecialy to foreigners.

Take a visit to wall st in good times. The bars around the area and you will understand stuck up LOL. Lived in Reston Virginia at the peak and drove to NYC most weekends. Thai men dont know what stuck up is. A Cuban cigar at $50 a pop , champers and pocket full of toot. Thai males pale in comparison. How do you think they would treat a Thai male? nuff said

• 4 months later...

I have been Home over 3 Months now and enjoying the peace and quiet but I do miss the weather. It is too bad that there is not a place where I could live were I could get the best of both worlds. Will return to Thailand Next Year but only for visits. :)

Lived in Thailand for 5 years and came back to England a month ago after becoming bored of life in Thailand. Yes the weather is great and the food can be very cheap but sometimes the thought of eating fried rice yet again makes me feel sick. Double pricing and some of the Thai attitude makes you start to dislike them after a while and really look down on them.

So far i have been back in England for 4 weeks and can't say i have missed Thailand at all, the continuous visa runs and other rules you have to follow in order to remain in a third world Country really isn't worth it...

Lived in Thailand for 5 years and came back to England a month ago after becoming bored of life in Thailand. Yes the weather is great and the food can be very cheap but sometimes the thought of eating fried rice yet again makes me feel sick. Double pricing and some of the Thai attitude makes you start to dislike them after a while and really look down on them.

So far i have been back in England for 4 weeks and can't say i have missed Thailand at all, the continuous visa runs and other rules you have to follow in order to remain in a third world Country really isn't worth it...

Look at the positives and think of it as an education. I doubt wherever your from in the UK many of your mates have lived in Thailand for 5 years and I'm sure you had some good times as well as bad.

It's to easy to blame the country you have just left and that being the given reason you have returned. If I was you, I wouldn't be blaming Thailand and the negative things I would simply say I had 5 years there and it was time to come back for a break, as you never know, one day you might decide to come back then what will your family and friends think after all you had told them how you disliked it?

I also say to people thinking of moving over here, don't tell everyone your going for good and never going back just say your coming over for a long holiday, then if it does all work out then great, if it doesn't work out then you can still go back with your head held high.

Lies:

This is one that has been getting under my skin more than usual lately, why is it that so many people out here can't tell the simple truth even when the truth is not necessarily a bad thing. I just appears to be instinctive.

Lying, thieving, immoral, nose-picking cheats! I will leave it up to you to decide who I am talking about.

... banks, lawyers, real state agents, governments, big business? LOL you forgot unethical...

Perhaps you a bit biased?

Perhaps I've been reading this forum too long? Perhaps I've read too many denigrating comments? Perhaps the idea put forward earlier that foreign men are big fish in a little pond is not necessarily true. :)

i for one agree with the attitude that many thai males have ego issues and are not people to be trusted or considered friends. As for why foreign men may feel superior to the thai male, it is a fact that 99% of the foreign males can go anywhere in the world and provide for themselves and their family which imho is not something 20% of the thai males could. why? education and personal motivation. I have read threads where thai males are sooo romantic buying floweres and gifts for their girlfriend but this is not the thai way so who taught them, a western girl friend or watching western television? At the end of the day what original thaughts or behaviors do the majority of thai men bring to the table other than ways to show their displeasure with the foreign man being with their women.

Every country has a right and wrong side of the tracks. Confusing the two leads to many of the problems described in this thread.

Couldn't agree more with your 6th point on your dislike list. We had dinner last night with some of my wifes Thai friends, two guys and their girlfriends, I knew I wasn't going to be the centre of attention in this situation but i was there and wanted to make a contribution to the conversation from time to time. All could speak English so I assume they were for my behalf however almost everytime I started a conversation they took over. It's the bar for me next time.

I proud that some of you actually admit that you feel its time to leave thailand and that your actually going to go through with it. Now that maybe so me I have not been back home ( USA ) 2 years now. Yeah i know thats not long. my reasons for not going home are as follows:

1. The job I have in thailand allows me to save money all the time

2. I am my own boss

3. Sure thailand has many problems maybe more so than back home. But seriously life is never easy or perfect.

4. Since I'm not like most other foreigners here I get by quite well. I don't do parties or drink alcohol all the time. or really care for western restaurants.

5. When I need time away from thailand I get on the plane and go to another country

6. I've got everything here that I have from home anyway.

7. My understanding of the language here is always becoming more and more.

I more or less live in the moment. I might at moments have frustration regarding progress of thailand but then again so do I have frustrations when leaving in the USA.

i reckon its also an "attitude" thing.

what is your basic "approach" or "attitude" to being in Thailand?

the ones who seem to survive the best have a "detached" attitude.

one way is to use your money as a weapon and insulator,

so you play the "big bwana" man and do everything your own way.

the following is a generalization with apologies to those who have manged to successfully "fit in".

i made the mistake of trying to be nice and "fit in",

this doesn't work because you are not wanted and/or you are resented.

(this becomes bluntly obvious when you make it clear that you are not a "bunny" and your ATM card is stuck fast in your wallet from lack of use).

then when you get so much cr*p shoved in your face you feel miserable coz you have really tried hard to be nice.

an attitude change can relieve this symptom.

so now i approach Thailand with,

"well if they are going to use me, then i will use them, for what i want, in any way i can"

let the games begin!

why the "excessive" use of "quotes".

do "you" do this every time you "post"?

Lies:

This is one that has been getting under my skin more than usual lately, why is it that so many people out here can't tell the simple truth even when the truth is not necessarily a bad thing. I just appears to be instinctive.

Lying, thieving, immoral, nose-picking cheats! I will leave it up to you to decide who I am talking about.

I'm sure you've left one or two other things out.......

YES you are right 100% (if you´re not gay of course), i guess that the most of us wouldn´t live here if it wasn´t for all the girls here.

A little honesty is always so refreshing! :D

Yeh maybe, I consider myself lucky having a beuatifull good wife, BUT i had to laugh at the dislike for curruption :D Maybe he should go & try living in oz where he would be paying $200 for a fine instead of $7 & not loosing points or lisence :)

Lies:

so you have met my brother and father in law :)

Lies:

Ummmm.... East Texans?

I was just thinking the same :)

Travel around the region and check out the alternatives.

Pay attention to the above. Sometimes we pick the wrong areas to live. I am at the point where I am starting to detest patong for all of the obvious reasons. That's not Thailand's fault, it's my doing. What kind of madman picks the Times Square of NYC or the Red Light district of Amsterdam to live? Because I get to leave Thailand and am not obliged to remain in my comfy corner of the cesspool, I can cope. If I had to stay, I'd be one angry miserable hombre. However, my Thai friends have repeatedly told me that if I intend to retire here, it had better be somewhere up in Issan or down in Surat Thani or near Hua Hin where people are still human. have you ever noticed that the TV folks living in Cha Am/Hua Hin, never complain? The old guys that moved with their wives to Issan that people love to ridicule in TV, always seem to be upbeat and happy? Perhaps it has to do with their living an a locale that fits. Partying 7 days a week was great when I was 18-21, but living in Pattaya and doing it at age 65 would kill me. Pick the spot and make it your own.

I have been Home over 3 Months now and enjoying the peace and quiet but I do miss the weather. It is too bad that there is not a place where I could live were I could get the best of both worlds. Will return to Thailand Next Year but only for visits. :)

Hi Skip! Glad you are doing ok, I've been wondering about you. Yeah, the weather here although often too humid for me is overall far better than in many U.S. cities. I just love the fact that virtually every day there is SUNSHINE here, except occasionally in the rainy season in some areas of the country. Where I've lived, even during the rainy season there would be at least a few hours of sun every day, after the it had rained like cats and dogs for a few hours. I think LOS could easily equally be called the "Land of Sunshine", and that is so great. So many days back in Detroit in Dec-Mar every year were dreary, bleak and dismal. Virtually none of that here.

I think you can come pretty close to having the best of both worlds. From what I remember about you, you have some flexibility due to not blowing all your money on a lady, business venture, or poor investments.

You already have a home here, that is great. Maybe you can spiffy it up a little, like adding a pool or beautiful tropical patio or both, and some improved windows and air conditioning/filtering to deal with the smoke or noise. I've had many of the same problems as you may remember. Then while you are in Thailand you will be maximizing your enjoyment here before returning back to the U.S. Also, of course you should select the best times of the year to be in Thailand. This is a good time, now that the holidays back home are over and it still isn't too hot here, and in three months the weather will break for the better back there.

Spending three months here is a decent length I think, not too long to be away from the grandkids, especially if they are mostly in school during those months. Furthermore, not being here for a long length of time makes just ignoring the downsides of living here easier as you know you would soon be back in the US.

Also, maybe you could save up and bring some of the clan here for a visit. How many people get the opportunity to visit Thailand? Even just one visit would be a great adventure for anybody. Anyway, glad you are doing well and THANKS for the update.

Lop

P.S. Pls PM me next time you return.....still hoping to have that beer together some day!

Travel around the region and check out the alternatives.

Pay attention to the above. Sometimes we pick the wrong areas to live. I am at the point where I am starting to detest patong for all of the obvious reasons. That's not Thailand's fault, it's my doing.

<snip>

... my Thai friends have repeatedly told me that if I intend to retire here, it had better be somewhere up in Issan or down in Surat Thani or near Hua Hin where people are still human. have you ever noticed that the TV folks living in Cha Am/Hua Hin, never complain? The old guys that moved with their wives to Issan that people love to ridicule in TV, always seem to be upbeat and happy? Perhaps it has to do with their living an a locale that fits. Partying 7 days a week was great when I was 18-21, but living in Pattaya and doing it at age 65 would kill me. Pick the spot and make it your own.

Good advice, not quite suited to Skip but definitely to others. After touring quite a number of cities in Thailand we visited Cha-am and Hua Hin a few weeks ago. Were it not for my wife's need to be closer to family, the HH area would be my #1 selection for settling in. It has plenty of western shops and restaurants, a more contained and conservative bar area, cleaner beaches, and mostly well behaved farang (fewer young hard-drinking crazies). As I stated on a different thread, we'll ultimately be splitting our time about 50-50% between the Sa Kaeo and Hua Hin areas.

About the older guys living up in Isaan, life up there isn't for everybody. Not a lot western influence there, not enough for many of us. But having an exciting young lovely Isaan wife goes a long way to keeping these oldies contented! :) I still think splitting one's time between areas you really like and areas where your gf/wife likes (or needs due to family) is worth seriously considering. Build a home in one city or village, then rent in the other.

• 2 weeks later...
things I Like

1. The weather

3. cost of living

5. Nice Golf courses

things I dislike

1. too hot at times

4. Double pricing

8. also bugs ants, the tiney little ones that you can hardly see. kill them off and ther back next day

plus missing the grandkids

I guess if you realy want to leave you can find a lot more reasons. The way I feel right now I can't belive anybody whould pefer LOS over their own country.

The bad outwiegh the good :)

the bad outweigh the good ? what !! take it your not from the u.k then ? maybe you should of came done a few holidays first before you decided to retire.

i personally get fed up of people coming to thailand and putting the people and their country down, thailand is thailand and we farang should let the thai,s live whatever way they want ,if you dont like it then yes just go back home to where ever you come from and dont winge about rude thai men or holes in the roads or their food etc. i think OP wouldnt be happy no matter where he went in the world,on balance between thailand and u.k ? well i need say no more.

victor meldrew ( one foot in the grave ) springs to mind. adios :)