Looking For Guest House Recommendation

RMN

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a guest house for my repeated 3-4 weeks stays in Chiang Mai.

My criteria:

1-must have free unlimited internet accessible from the room

2-rate must be cheap :)

3-ideal locations are near the moat or Nimmanhemin, but anything not too far from the old city is good

I speak enough Thai to manage, so english speaking is not a requirement.

Thanks for your help !

The brand new Imm Hotel just opened at Thapae Gate and the rate is 777 per night with free wifi and air-con and English TV.

Or your usual rec, the Montri at 799 incl breakfast. But my guess is that these don't meet the OP's criteria #2.

Gap's House in the old town just up from The Gate. 370 - 500 baht.

Never actually stayed there but had a good look round during my flashpacking days. Not a big place but nicely set off a small soi with a little courtyard and foliage everywhere. Apparently they won't take bookings as gets busy.

"All rooms have air conditioning and a private bath. All prices are fixed (no bargaining or discounts). Free safety box and FREE WIRELESS INTERNET"

south_east_asia.1119521400.dscn0115.jpg

3 Rajadamnern Soi 4

Tel: 053 278140

Jackr that sounds great. I'll definitely check it out.

The options in the 700Bht range are also worth checking out, it's still cheaper than the hotels I used on previous trips.

Thanks a bunch to you three who made suggestions.

Edited by RMN

Why is that every week someone posts a new topic asking about cheap accommodation , internet access, etc., etc..

This one is a bit different in that he/she has been here before and still asks the same old questions.

Hi Bill,

The reason is that I've been there before, but the combination of cheap rates and unlimited internet was not to be found.

In the current economy, I'd be glad to save a few bucks by finding a place that offers just what I need and not more.

So I'm counting on the experience of other forum members to help me find the place I need. So far it looks like it's working pretty well.

I stayed at LaiThai Guesthouse, on the SE corner of the moat. Free wifi and a pool, but no breakfast included. It is 650 baht a night this time of year but they have a special on so it's 590. When I stayed there they gave me a card good for 10% off my next stay.

The brand new Imm Hotel just opened at Thapae Gate and the rate is 777 per night with free wifi and air-con and English TV.

Or your usual rec, the Montri at 799 incl breakfast. But my guess is that these don't meet the OP's criteria #2.

I think that the Montri is actually a better deal as they have an elevator, a refrigerator in the room and a better breakfast for almost the same price. The Imm Hotel is brand new however.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I think that the Montri is actually a better deal as they have an elevator, a refrigerator in the room and a better breakfast for almost the same price. The Imm Hotel is brand new however.

but Montri and IMM-Hotel can not be actually called "guesthouses".

a very good option for longer stays is the apartment-like FUENGFA PLACE, at the North-Eastern corner of the old-town, walking distance to KAD SUAN KAEW (once you are daring enough to cross the main road, which during rush-hours can be a life-threatening thrill).

pretty cheap at 450 baht a night or so and 5.000 baht per month (plus utilities in that case), quite new, relatively quiet by Thai standards. I stayed there on several occasions for 6 weeks each within the last 2 years when working on certain projects, and it did suit me well. the WIFI speed is okay, nothing to rave about, but still acceptable. free when paying daily rates, otherwise they charge 300 baht a month or so, which I consider still reasonable. they have a homepage, so google for it. few english spoken, but as you said, u r able to communicate in Thai (as am I), so should be no problem at all

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a guest house for my repeated 3-4 weeks stays in Chiang Mai.

My criteria:

1-must have free unlimited internet accessible from the room

2-rate must be cheap :)

3-ideal locations are near the moat or Nimmanhemin, but anything not too far from the old city is good

I speak enough Thai to manage, so english speaking is not a requirement.

Thanks for your help !

The problem with a lot of guest houses is no stinking place to park. I like Rux Thai, about 400 baht, you'll get 10% off on subsequent visits, clean, refer in room, cable, air, free wirless for your notebook and a place to park Not too far from Taipai Gate. 11/2 Soi 1 Loykroh Road, Muang CM 053-208737, 053-208738

siam2007

fuengfa place .

quote ..... relatively quiet by Thai standards

uggghh ? ..what ? ... are you joking .... ?

i moved there in feb 09 to try it for a month !

i moved out about three weeks later coz of the yappy dog barking day and night in the next soi and the other two barking dogs at the back and one at the front ..

fuengfa place .... quiet ?..... is it #uck

i wouldnt stay there again if you paid me !

dave2