Aussie Found Dead At A Cliff In Bophut

A foreigner was found dead down the cliff at Lat Koh, a viewpoint area in Bophut, on Aug. 8.

Passersby found the body of 30-year-old Steven Allen, an Australian tourist, with broken skull and bruises all over, according to Pol. Lt. Poramet Thainthuma of the Bophut police. He could have been dead for two days before his body was found, police said, adding they were working on two angles – murder and suicide.

Allen was identified through the motorbike he had rented from S.P. Car and Motorbike Rental in Bophut. The motorbike was found parked near where Allen’s body was found.

The motorbike-rental owner, Sangiam Phiankham, said the keycard found with Allen’s body belonged to T.P.Guesthouse where the Australian tourist had stayed for two months until his death.

Witnesses told police Allen was seen two days before his body was bound. He was driving a black Honda motorcycle alone towards the viewpoint.

Sangiam said Allen was a loner and seemed to have no friend. In the evening, he loved to jog at Chaweng beach. The police went to check his room in the guesthouse and saw nothing but a few clothes.

Police said Allen owed the guesthouse about Bt 4,000. He was said to have called back to home to ask for money.

Police said he could have committed suicide due to financial problems. Or he could have been murdered elsewhere before being dumped at the cliff.

Pol. Col. Saharat Saksinlapachai, superintendent of Bophut police, said a nylon chord was found near Allen’s body. He could have been in the process of tying himself with a nylon chord and fell accidentally at the cliff, Saharat said.

http://news.samuiexpress.net/local-list/53...in-bophut-.html

For those from the UK who remember "Inspector Morse" (or for that matter the 'Midsommer thing') - why do all of these 'early reports' make you wish that John Thaw, John Nettles and even Geraldine McEwan/Julia McKenzie (Miss Marple, but not a patch on Margaret Rutherford IMHO) were all kicking it up over here - sure, still have crime ... but all of the most difficult cases would be solved over a couple of evenings of 'light entertainment' - and they could make a bit extra out of teaching on the side !

Tongue firmly in cheek.

:) What a shame, only thirty as well.

I'm always a little sceptical of the automatic mention of suicide when any westerners are found dead, no matter what evidence the police supposedly have of it. The fact that they are even suggesting it could have been murder suggests to me that there are signs that it was, otherwise they wouldn't even suggest it as a possibility.

I just hope his family don't just accept whatever the police tell them, especially if they conclude it was suicide. A proper investigation and an independent autopsy is a must to be sure you get even close to the truth. :D

We`ll never know if it was Suicide or Murder....

You certainly won't if it's left up to the local police to wrap the case up, i'm sure in most cases at a proper autopsy they can differentiate between injuries caused by a fall and injuries caused by a beating, if they want to that is, in thailand i wouldn't have much faith that they would want to, they would be only too happy to pass it off as a fall/suicide regardless..

A terrible loss of life no matter what the circumstances. My condolences to his family.

Where exactly is Lat Koh ? Is the "cliff" there hazardous at all ?

I believe it's "viewpoint" between Chaweng noi and Lamai.

I wondered where Lat Koh is as well but doubt it's the viewpoint (where restaurant is, right ?) between Chaweng Noi and Lamai as that's way out of Bophut, isn't it ?

"A foreigner was found dead down the cliff at Lat Koh, a viewpoint area in Bophut, on Aug. 8."

Anybody know where Lat Koh is ?

edit:

"....police said, adding they were working on two angles – murder and suicide." :D

Why would the police exclude: accident ? :)

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

A foreigner was found dead down the cliff at Lat Koh, a viewpoint area in Bophut, on Aug. 8.

Passersby found the body of 30-year-old Steven Allen, an Australian tourist, with broken skull and bruises all over, according to Pol. Lt. Poramet Thainthuma of the Bophut police. He could have been dead for two days before his body was found, police said, adding they were working on two angles – murder and suicide.

Allen was identified through the motorbike he had rented from S.P. Car and Motorbike Rental in Bophut. The motorbike was found parked near where Allen's body was found.

The motorbike-rental owner, Sangiam Phiankham, said the keycard found with Allen's body belonged to T.P.Guesthouse where the Australian tourist had stayed for two months until his death.

Witnesses told police Allen was seen two days before his body was bound. He was driving a black Honda motorcycle alone towards the viewpoint.

Sangiam said Allen was a loner and seemed to have no friend. In the evening, he loved to jog at Chaweng beach. The police went to check his room in the guesthouse and saw nothing but a few clothes.

Police said Allen owed the guesthouse about Bt 4,000. He was said to have called back to home to ask for money.

Police said he could have committed suicide due to financial problems. Or he could have been murdered elsewhere before being dumped at the cliff.

Pol. Col. Saharat Saksinlapachai, superintendent of Bophut police, said a nylon chord was found near Allen's body. He could have been in the process of tying himself with a nylon chord and fell accidentally at the cliff, Saharat said.

http://news.samuiexpress.net/local-list/53...in-bophut-.html

HORRIBLE that is. How much longer until people wake up and admit that Samui is also horribly dangerous place to live? :)

It sounds a sad and lonely way to go and my condolences to the man's family. They must be devastated.

But it seems that many here are more than willing to leap to conclusions based on very limited information from a news report.

It sounds a sad and lonely way to go and my condolences to the man's family. They must be devastated.

But it seems that many here are more than willing to leap to conclusions based on very limited information from a news report.

And that is indeed probably all the information we will get. It will be "swept under the carpet at the earliest convenience".

I wondered where Lat Koh is as well but doubt it's the viewpoint (where restaurant is, right ?) between Chaweng Noi and Lamai as that's way out of Bophut, isn't it ?

Just south of Chaweng Noi where they used to have many spirithouses (no restaurant)

Still Bophut sub-district, Maret starts after the next bend towards Lamai.

Yes, agree sbk, normally one wouldn't/shouldn't jump to conclusions, but then we remember where we are, and who we are dealing with. The BIB have a very dismal record when it comes to getting to the real facts of any case, let alone another death of a westener.

Only a persistant effort from the family will they get to the bottom of it.

My condolences.