Recent Baking

Gippy

About a month ago I finished building myself a couple of kitchen cabinets and installed an Electrolux oven purchased from HomePro. I was a keen home baker before moving to Thailand and going one year without some decent bread and cakes was far too long.

Here are some pictures of my recent baking to go with your coffee this morning. Everything is made with local ingredients bought mainly from Makro.

post-70457-1252372957_thumb.jpg

post-70457-1252372999_thumb.jpg

post-70457-1252373028_thumb.jpg

post-70457-1252373053_thumb.jpg

post-70457-1252373381_thumb.jpg

post-70457-1252373415_thumb.jpg

About a month ago I finished building myself a couple of kitchen cabinets and installed an Electrolux oven purchased from HomePro. I was a keen home baker before moving to Thailand and going one year without some decent bread and cakes was far too long.

Here are some pictures of my recent baking to go with your coffee this morning. Everything is made with local ingredients bought mainly from Makro.

Looks very yummi...are you inviting everybody at TV over for breakfast? What time?? :)

Your baking products are looking great, congrats !!!

Gerd

Thanks Gred. Unlike most Thai baking these taste as good as they look as well! My wife is starting to have a bit of success selling these in our beauty salon as well, enough to keep me in beer and snacks anyway.

Well done!

Would you mind posting a picture of the oven they came out of? :)

How much did it run ya?

No worries, photo attached. It's an Electrolux EOB31001, I can't find the receipt but I think it was around the 22,000 baht price range from HomePro. They have a choice starting from 12,000 or so up to 50,000+ for built in ovens. I built the cabinets and worktop myself in my little workshop and fitted a Smeg European style gas hob. Trying to simmer an Indian curry for 2 hours on a Thai sized burner was hopeless, this one has a nice small burner for simmering. The oven has it's own wiring from the consumer unit through a circuit breaker and the fire extinguisher is there because I built everything :-)

The setup works very well, we churn out cakes, cookies, muffins etc. and the wife sells them in the salon to our customers who are starting to learn what real baking should taste like. We get some people telling us that muffins should be very light and have frosting on the top, I guess they never heard of a cupcake but they are learning!

post-70457-1252641456_thumb.jpg

The oven set-up and bakery goods look GREAT... You're right... hard to find any decent baked good at the general and expat markets...though some of the hotel and specialized bakery shops are quite good...

To the OP, for baking supplies, what kinds of things are you finding at Makro that are useful for baking?? Anything different than what you'd find at Villa, Tops, etc etc???

To the OP, for baking supplies, what kinds of things are you finding at Makro that are useful for baking?? Anything different than what you'd find at Villa, Tops, etc etc???

Most of what I get from Makro is the same as what you can buy a Villa etc. or even Tescos but the price is much better. For example in Tesco a bag of bread flour is over 60 baht but it's 30 baht in Makro. The flour prices are actually lower in Villa than Tesco. Makro is also much cheaper for buying 1kg packs of raisins, chocolate chips, frozen blueberries and 5kg boxes of butter are only 510 baht for Orchid Classic unsalted.

Where do you buy the cookie pans/sheets, muffin pans, bread pans and the like? I just started using my new oven here in Phala but locating good utensils and pans is difficult. I have found some items in Pattaya

True Value have a store in Pattaya, their branch in Bangkok carries a good range of Bakers Secrets cookie sheets, bread pans etc. Central department stores stock a couple of different brands as well including some silicon bakeware. I get my paper muffin cups from Makro in packs of 1,000.