What's Your Thoughts About It.....

itsme

"morality" is already a tainted concept.

maybe "buddhist morality" would be a better term, or even "thai morality", and there we are.

western "moralistic" views are heavily biaised by christian religion.

- sex outside of marriage is a sin! - Anybody who thinks that way nowadays in the West is v rare!

- sex without the aim to procreate is a sin! - Ditto

- thinking to have sex with another person than one's wife is a sin! - Yes, betraying one's spouse by having sex with someone else is considered a sin - for v good reasons.

- masturbation is a sin! - Again, such ideas are v rare nowadays.

"promiscuity" has such a negative connotation in our language.

now imagine all the easy girls in Thailand were not prostitutes, but they'd do it for free, for the fun. it wouldn't be prostitution then, right?

question about this theoretical situation (serious) : does something in your judeo-christian soul object against a country where hundreds of thousands of girls would have sex for free with strangers just for the fun?

aaaah, you are tempted to answer no, but the truth is, you feel uneasy. Why? Taboos. - Aaaah - You're missing the point - its not free in Thailand!

Take prostitution out of the landscape, and the issue remains!

Regarding the topic of sex, paid or free, the psychological problems in the western culture are much deeper!

I watched a presentation the other day that cited various sources including Chulalongkorn survey, United Nations commissions, Thai government statistics, etc. The presentation didn't have any particular bias, and seemed professionally researched.

Some interesting points I noted were:

Prostitution accounts for 17% of Thailand's GNP.

70% of tourists to Thailand are single men.

did they also say that 90% (or even more) of prostitution in Thailand is Thai to Thai ?

I watched a presentation the other day that cited various sources including Chulalongkorn survey, United Nations commissions, Thai government statistics, etc. The presentation didn't have any particular bias, and seemed professionally researched.

Some interesting points I noted were:

Prostitution accounts for 17% of Thailand's GNP.

70% of tourists to Thailand are single men.

Prostitution is illegal in Thailand so it is not simply prostitution especially when you consider the tens of thousands of Thai farang couples around the world.

You seem to forget how it all started. During the Vietnam war many GIs met up with Thai girls. The girl would suggest that the guy be her boyfriend but then the guy would say "but I have to leave soon" Then the girl say "just be my boyfriend for a short time"

Edited by sokal

You seem to forget how it all started. During the Vietnam war many GIs met up with Thai girls. The girl would suggest that the guy be her boyfriend but then the guy would say "but I have to leave soon" Then the girl say "just be my boyfriend for a short time"

Aaah…but most farang-thai couples “around that time” were in the same or similar age.

They married their girls, whisked them back home to their country, and built their lives together including economically, most cases from the ground up. Most cases,..never be seen back again until the next 30-40 yrs, except for occasional visits.

Did you notice these too?

Unlike nowadays… :)

Aaah…but most farang-thai couples "around that time" were in the same or similar age.

They married their girls, whisked them back home to their country, and built their lives together including economically, most cases from the ground up. Most cases,..never be seen back again until the next 30-40 yrs, except for occasional visits.

Did you notice these too?

Unlike nowadays… :)

Maybe its just my age (25) but it seems like those days are over in the west too.

Back on topic, prostitution as we know it in the west is illegal in Thailand so it is clearly not the same.

Now that's bullshit. Prostitution was not only present but already widespread in Thailand way before the Vietnam war and way before thew saw the first farang.

In fact, it was already common practice in the Ayuttaya period in the fourteenth century, when the society was polygamic.

Prostitution was the courtisane's way of life, and from there it grew.

Clearly, Brahmanism and Buddhism don't put much pressure against prostitution and for the poor families working the land, it was like a jackpot when their daughter was a courtisane, and not much of a loss of face, since a courtisane had much higher social status.

Demand for prostitutes was fueled by the industrialization and development of bureaucracy in cities, which attracted male workers, who then lived away from their families.

WWII and the GIs were just a phenomenon of very secondary importance, as is the sex trade with foreigners today.

The whole world believes the evil farangs did corrupt Thailand, but that's only because this is the part that makes it into the western media.

Fox news never showed any interest in bangkok construction workers buying the services of some burmese prostitutes on building sites...

Edited by manarak