Fake Golf Club Scam 'cost Ebay Customers Millions'

TAWP

From The Times

September 23, 2009

Fake golf club scam 'cost eBay customers millions'

Adam Fresco, Crime Correspondent

A global network of criminals duped eBay customers into buying millions of pounds worth of fake golf clubs in the largest fraud uncovered by the online auction site.

The golf clubs, as well as clothing, accessories and passes for an airline lounge, were sold “on a scale that, it is believed, has never been seen before”, Snaresbrook Crown Court was told yesterday.

“This is a conspiracy of a truly global nature. Conspirators are thought to have been based in the UK, Thailand, Australia, Germany, Singapore, USA, Hong Kong, China — and goods have been distributed from, or to, all those countries and more.”
Mr Davis said that documentation found in Bellchambers’ possession showed “large sums of money being transferred between accounts held by Bellchambers both here in the UK and in Thailand”.

He said: “For example, in a 28-day period in November 2006, the sum of £73,000 was transferred.”

Full article here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/c...icle6845133.ece

"Yes, I know him not as a fraudster, but as a person, and as a person he's a good bloke, if you knew him you would no doubt think the same."

Excellent point. Years ago, Ed Bradley ("60 Minutes") interviewed Bush41, and mentioned problems regarding campaign financing. Bradley (in reference to Ken Lay, the CEO of Enron) started a question with, "Lay, he's a crook..." Bush 41 interrupted, "Ken Lay has been a good friend of mine for 30 years. If he did something wrong, the judicial system will handle it. But, whether he did wrong or not, he is a friend of mine." Since everyone else was trying to distance himself from Ken Lay, Bush's comment left Bradley speechless.

"Yes, I know him not as a fraudster, but as a person, and as a person he's a good bloke, if you knew him you would no doubt think the same."

Excellent point. Years ago, Ed Bradley ("60 Minutes") interviewed Bush41, and mentioned problems regarding campaign financing. Bradley (in reference to Ken Lay, the CEO of Enron) started a question with, "Lay, he's a crook..." Bush 41 interrupted, "Ken Lay has been a good friend of mine for 30 years. If he did something wrong, the judicial system will handle it. But, whether he did wrong or not, he is a friend of mine." Since everyone else was trying to distance himself from Ken Lay, Bush's comment left Bradley speechless.

That was nice of Mr Bush41 to say about his friend Ken Lay but if Mr. Lay wouldn't have passed away unexpectedly he would probably had to serve some 45 years in prison because of fraud and civil suits are still expected to take place against Lay's estate.

So, the words by Mr. Bush41 "if he did something wrong....." are certainly an understatement for someone who was responsible for the largest bankruptcy in American history, causing 20,000 people to lose their jobs. It was a devastating case and many people were steered into a dark future.

But on the other hand it is to be admired that a President of the US says something like that about a friend, probably not knowing what kind of crook his friend was.

LaoPo