Beer Wars

wilson steer

I have been an imbiber of Chang Beer since day one in the L.O.S. but decided just recently to try a few cases of the relatively new 'Red Horse', which I encountered in the Philippines, all those years ago.

The taste of Red Horse is smoother, no funny faces pulled, after the initial slake, and although the mathematics suggest that Red Horse is 8% stronger I don't find myself urinating in the wardrobe at 4.00 am.

What are your views? Am I alone as a tentative convert to Red Horse or should I reconsider the 'dizzy heights' and memory loss of Chang?

Wilson Steer.

I have recently cut down on my *chang* consumption by generally drinking *chang* lite (i.e. Archa). Not always possible to get in some outlets.

I also switched to Archa when it first came out.After a week or so of heavy Archa drinking I had a Chang.

No contest.Chang has more taste and Archa is just watery.Far better to put ice cubes in Chang if you want a lite beer. Having said that my head was much clearer during my Archa week.

No red horse in Koh Tao yet but looking forward to a taste.

I have recently cut down on my *chang* consumption by generally drinking *chang* lite (i.e. Archa). Not always possible to get in some outlets.

I also switched to Archa when it first came out.After a week or so of heavy Archa drinking I had a Chang.

No contest.Chang has more taste and Archa is just watery.Far better to put ice cubes in Chang if you want a lite beer. Having said that my head was much clearer during my Archa week.

No red horse in Koh Tao yet but looking forward to a taste.

Jayen, I don't want to be a stick in the mud,but 10 Archa's do not equal 5 changs.

As to the other issue the Red Horse original in the Phillipines was so strong because it had a tot of Gin in it. I don't think that addative is found in Thai Red Horse. There is also San Mig Blue Ice which a lot of people like.

On another note,yesterday I bought Fosters,Crown Lager & Coopers Stout to tickle the palates of our Ozzie friends,although I have been informed that Antipodeans of the Australian variety hate Fosters.

I agree that *chang* has more taste. However, putting ice cubes in any beer is considered sacriledge where I was brought up.

:o

I have converted to Archa. Unfortunately it is NOT available in many places. I still drink Chang where the Archa is not available. I like Chang but you have to know when to quit. A couple too many makes waking up suffering and misery. LOL!

On another note,yesterday I bought Fosters,Crown Lager & Coopers Stout to tickle the palates of our Ozzie friends,although I have been informed that Antipodeans of the Australian variety hate Fosters.

Too true lampard10... Fosters tastes like cats p1ss to us Aussies... :o

Give me a Crownie any day. :D

I do like the new Red Horse though... although at 6.9% alc/vol vs 6.5% for Beer Chang it's a bit on the strong side. :D

I dont know how anybody could even contemplate drinking Archa. It is the worst beer I have had this side of Leo.

Chang and Singha should be served already cold with one or two cubes of ice in them, otherwise they are too strong.

Havent tried Red Horse but I generally dont like beer that strong, it tends to taste too much of alcohol and too little of beer, like Carlsberg's old Elephant Beer (which is NOT the same as Chang although Carlsberg were involved in the development of Chang beer). Carlsberg Elephant was 11% strong and tasted like sniffing glue.

It's a good thing we all don't have the same tastes. Women would be at the same premium as beer. :o

IMHO anyone who can drink Singha could drink anything including Leo and Archa. The only one worse than Singha is Kloster. I see Chang as number one in taste but with some kind of poison in it that makes waking up miserable. Archa agrees with me and I can get pretty well pissed up and still feel pretty good in the morning. :D

I dont know how anybody could even contemplate drinking Archa. It is the worst beer I have had this side of Leo.

Chang and Singha should be served already cold with one or two cubes of ice in them, otherwise they are too strong.

Havent tried Red Horse but I generally dont like beer that strong, it tends to taste too much of alcohol and too little of beer, like Carlsberg's old Elephant Beer (which is NOT the same as Chang although Carlsberg were involved in the development of Chang beer). Carlsberg Elephant was 11% strong and tasted like sniffing glue.

I do like red Horse.For a strong beer it really is smooth. Singha is <deleted>. Chang is ok but i get heartburn if i drink too much of it. I like Leo. Wasn't to impressed with Archer.

I agree completely with Jockstar. Red Horse is a strong beer with a smooth but not to sweet test. Archa is like water, same as Heineken or Singha. Chang is OK for 1 or 2 bottles. Unfortunately I can find Red Horse only on pump Jet right now and there don’t sale at morning and afternoon :o

Can't say I know any Aussie that drinks Fosters, that might be why the label says it is "Australias most famous beer" rather that favourite. Aussie beer would be a crownie, but Chang does it for me...

I thought Red Horse kicked butt, more so than Chang (alcohol reference) Personally, I usually drink Leo. I've learned the hard way to add some ice to my beer-puts a little water back in the system.

I've learned the hard way to add some ice to my beer-puts a little water back in the system.

Yeah, it takes some effort to get those cubes in the bottle.

Chang is cheap but I'd rather drink Singha with a shot of Mekong.

Well, Red Horse certainly has price going for it, what with large bottles being 2 for 1 at Family Mart. Realize that it's just a promotion, but still, any beer selling for half the price of Chang makes me a bit nervous. Didn't really like it, won't be buying it once the promotion is over.

I agree that *chang* has more taste. However, putting ice cubes in any beer is considered sacriledge where I was brought up.

:o

Me too but it's standard fare in LOS Mexico and many other very Hot places.

I miss the short lived Mittweider... :D