Salt Water - Vx Or Chloromatic Units

la69

Greetings,

I am changing my regular chlorine pool system to a salt water (chlorine) pool system. I have spent some hours reading around in this forum and elsewhere and have come down to two different choices:

The VX 6T system (I have very small pool, only 30000 litres) which comes with clocks and timers and also nice features like safety backwashing to disconnect the unit. For my pool cost would be around 36000 baht.

The Chloromatic esc 16 (or 160 perhaps) system which seems to be fine but albeit more basic perhaps. Cost 29000 baht.

Does anyone have any experiences with any of these chlorinators? I'm leaning towards the VX but opinions are greatly appreciated :D

Links if needed:

Edit: Was not allowed to post links. The company that manufactures VX is called Astralpool located in australia .com.au. Productblades can be found from company named Hurlcon. They have pdf's and manuals as well. For the chloromatic the company is called monarchpoolsystems. :)

The Vx home page Astralpool: not allowed

Vx product page, pdf: not allowed

Vx manual: not allowed

Chloromatic 160 system (or 16). Link gives to 24 system. Think 16 is without acid pump:not allowed

Chloromatic product page, pdf: not allowed

I have never used the Hurlcom model so cannot comment on it but installed many Chloromatics over the years. If you use an ESC 16 which is self cleaning then you will need to run it 8 hours per day for a 30m3 pool if you are not going to use pool stabilizer. You can buy a cheap Panasonic timer which can be connected to your pump & chlorinator for about 700 Baht. It is important both go on & off at the same time.

• 5 months later...

Dear la69

If you would like VX manual. Please send E-mail to Astralpool Thailand. [email protected]

And if you have problem about product please contact to us.

Thanks

Detchana Kitkanchanat

Production Engineer

Astralpool (Thailand) Co., Ltd

110/4 M. 13 Rachathewa, Bangplee

Samutprakarn 10540 THAILAND

T. +66-2-7389420 F. +66-2-7389425 Mobile : +66-85-9633535

E-mail : [email protected] www.astralpool.co.th

Hi, we like the Zodiac units, this is what I use on my own pool (5m x 10m). Timer, self-cleaning, low salt sensor, no flow alarm, regulate chlorine production etc. Emaux also has a new unit, very economical. All pumps should plug into the salt control panel and should NOT be on a seperate circuit. A chlorine cell that is operating without water flow is very dangerous (hight levels of hydrogen, and chlorine gas can build up inside the pool piping).

Please note that for ALL salt water pools, make sure that you monitor cyuranic acid levels (stabilizer). Un-stabilized chlorine breaks down rapidly in sunlight. Without stabilizer, your ORP levels will drop, leading to possible algae issues - especially black algae. Also, by using CYA, you can lower chlorine production to a minium, thereby extending the life of your salt cell (s).

Gil

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I'm AstralPool Thailand. I think if you have Salt chlorinator with include timer. I think you should plug pump to salt chlorinator better than plug to external timer. Because it has self cleaning mode pre and post operation. If you would like to know about product from Hurlcon and Astralpool. Please send Email to me : [email protected]

Thank

• 1 month later...

I have an old fashioned cholorinated, sand filtered pool and have a lot of grief with calcium buildup on tiles etc. hard water with a lot of 'suspended solids[?] and was wondering ig by switching to a salt water system it sould eliminate my calcium problems, but found the following on wikipedia this morning that suggests that the calcium would not be the best solution for me [or others with hard water].

wiki says.....

"The chlorinator cell consists of parallel titanium plates coated with ruthenium and sometimes iridium. Older models make use of perforated (or mesh) plates, rather than solid plates. The electrolytic process naturally attracts calcium and other minerals to the plates. Thus, depending on water chemistry and magnitude of use, the cell will require cleaning in a mild acid solution (1 part HCl to 15 parts pool water) which will remove the buildup of calcium. Extremely excessive build up can reduce the effectiveness of the cell. Running the chlorinator for long periods with not enough salt in the pool can strip the coating off the cell which then requires an expensive replacement as can using too strong an acid wash."

Any comments on hard water with salt water systems??

Edited by jaideeguy

I have never used the Hurlcom model so cannot comment on it but installed many Chloromatics over the years. If you use an ESC 16 which is self cleaning then you will need to run it 8 hours per day for a 30m3 pool if you are not going to use pool stabilizer. You can buy a cheap Panasonic timer which can be connected to your pump & chlorinator for about 700 Baht. It is important both go on & off at the same time.

I use to leave my salt chlorinator plugged in with a timer, until the lightning fried two salt chlorinator units, I now turn it on manually and unplug it when finished or when a storm looks imminent. :):D

• 8 months later...

If you have a VX model T you shall never connect it to an external timer. Always use the internal timer and connect the pump to the VX controll panel.

hf