Modifications Because Of Bad Back

frtiz

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem. I bought a Nissan Navara earlier this year in April but I found out after 30K km. that it's quite a bumpy ride.

I do about 60-70K km a year and I have a bad back, not because of age but because of an accident when I was 15.

My question is, what kind of modifications can I find here in Thailand. I bought the navara because of the space inside as I'm relatively tall with 6'5" so selling it for another car is not really an option. The dmax and vigo are too small for me, ford is too tough in the suspension and the BT50 is also too small. MU7 and Fortuner are out of the question as I can't get in the car because of the small entrance.

Would gas shocks be an option? Is there any place where I can find a modified seat? We've already asked the people at Nissan but they don't even know where you can buy a new Nissan let alone after market stuff.

Many thanks!

3 suggestions:

1. make sure the tyre pressures are set correctly, Thai mechanics do have a habit of putting far too much in them. This would definately give a harsher ride.

2. Is it a top of the range model? If not, you might find that a seat from such a model has more adjustments on it.

Are those wood beaded type seat covers available in LOS? I have used one for years in the uk. Not only does it allow air to flow between your back & the seat but is very comfortable to sit on.

3. Is your driving position correct? This can make a very big difference on long journeys.

First set the fore & aft adjustment so you can just comfortably keep the clutch on the floor. At your height, this will probably be all back as far it will go.

Then set the height if its adjustable. Higher is better but as you are tall you might have the problem of your head contacting the roof.

Set the back rake so when your arms are at 1/4 to 3 on the steering wheel your elbows should be just slightly bent. You should be able to reach 12 O'clock on the steering wheel without having to lean forwards. (the steering wheel may also be adjustable)

Make sure the headrest is raised so that the top of it is at least level with your ears. Many people leave it too low, then in a collision their head rolls back over the top of it.

(check the passenger one also).

Lastly, if fitted, adjust the lumbar support firmness to suit.

On a long driver, slightly change the lumbar support and back rest angle from time to time.

Edited by Lancashirelad

Thanks, that's helpful. Maybe I can try and change the seat with one of the LE version. I have the SE version. I believe the LE edition has more options to adjust the seat, especially adjusting the lumbar support would greatly help me.

You can easily get the wood beaded covers here but I haven't had time yet to go out and look for them. A friend of mine suggested it as well.

Thanks,

Fritz

3 suggestions:

1. make sure the tyre pressures are set correctly, Thai mechanics do have a habit of putting far too much in them. This would definately give a harsher ride.

2. Is it a top of the range model? If not, you might find that a seat from such a model has more adjustments on it.

Are those wood beaded type seat covers available in LOS? I have used one for years in the uk. Not only does it allow air to flow between your back & the seat but is very comfortable to sit on.

3. Is your driving position correct? This can make a very big difference on long journeys.

First set the fore & aft adjustment so you can just comfortably keep the clutch on the floor. At your height, this will probably be all back as far it will go.

Then set the height if its adjustable. Higher is better but as you are tall you might have the problem of your head contacting the roof.

Set the back rake so when your arms are at 1/4 to 3 on the steering wheel your elbows should be just slightly bent. You should be able to reach 12 O'clock on the steering wheel without having to lean forwards. (the steering wheel may also be adjustable)

Make sure the headrest is raised so that the top of it is at least level with your ears. Many people leave it too low, then in a collision their head rolls back over the top of it.

On a long driver, slightly change the lumbar support and back rest angle from time to time.

Edited by frtiz

Thanks, that's helpful. Maybe I can try and change the seat with one of the LE version. I have the SE version. I believe the LE edition has more options to adjust the seat, especially adjusting the lumbar support would greatly help me.

You can easily get the wood beaded covers here but I haven't had time yet to go out and look for them. A friend of mine suggested it as well.

Thanks,

Fritz

3 suggestions:

Fritz

I use a small "roll" pillow low between my back and the seat, that helps a lot with my back.

Mac