Dongle In Singapore

Sherlocke

Singtel, Starhub and M1 all sell prepay sims for dongles for around 15$ - sometimes slightly less. And if you're used to using the net in Thailand, the kind of service you get in Singapore might come as a surprise.

Anyway, you might not need to buy a sim as much of the island has free wi-fi, certainly all of the tourist areas, coffee shops, airport, fast food and shopping centres. It's pretty good and you can't beat the price. You just have to register with your passport number the first time you use it. I guess it depends how secure a connection/speed you want.

• 2 weeks later...

In the end I used the hotel LAN as it was free - I didn't take the laptop put and about at all. so nice to have a fast reliable connection.

I was offered the SIM for 18 SGD, but I needed to show my passport which I didn't have on me at the time.

I never found out if my AIS dongle would work - I should have plugged it in but forgot.

M1 - shop at Orchard (Basement of PARAGON-Mall) has competent staff who will help u to set it up, if needed.

charge is S$ 15 for 3 days, if I remember that right. not necessarily a cheapo, but most probably cheaper than at any hotel if the WiFi isn't free there.

speed is okay, at least if u r used to the pathetic Thai EDGE-connection....

M1 - shop at Orchard (Basement of PARAGON-Mall) has competent staff who will help u to set it up, if needed.

charge is S$ 15 for 3 days, if I remember that right. not necessarily a cheapo, but most probably cheaper than at any hotel if the WiFi isn't free there.

My price was Sing-tel - last week. I looked around the 2 IT malls Funan and SIM square in details too.

My price was Sing-tel - last week. I looked around the 2 IT malls Funan and SIM square in details too.

You can buy these things(USB broadband dongle) in 7/11 shops in Singapore,anytime.Registration through very hi-tech scanner is compulsory(they scan yours passport and send it to central comp)

I can recommend StarHub,M1 - not.You can buy broadband SIM only if you have your own dongle(not locked) or - 3G mobile.

If you are in Malaysia - they have just introduced the first prepaid broadband SIM by Celcom:20 ringitt(200B) will give you 5 days unlimited "fair"use.No registration!Very easy to use.

This is the best service of this sort anywhere,available in different mobile shops and kiosks.LOS will follow - but I am not sure - when?