Hair Straightening (permanent)

manum

Heyas!

I am a man but I have a Thai wife. She would like to know if there are any places in Bangkok where you could do some kind of permanent hair straightening. I myself tried to find some information for her from internet and I found information about some kind of silk straightening (Silk transformation) or something.

What are the costs for such operation and how long does it take? How long does it last once done?

If anyone has any information.. thanks in advance! :o

Heyas!

I am a man but I have a Thai wife. She would like to know if there are any places in Bangkok where you could do some kind of permanent hair straightening. I myself tried to find some information for her from internet and I found information about some kind of silk straightening (Silk transformation) or something.

What are the costs for such operation and how long does it take? How long does it last once done?

If anyone has any information.. thanks in advance! :o

Nowadays nearly all the hair salons offer this service, ranging from the smaller shops for 400baht, to the average going price for 1,000-1,500baht, to the famous salons that could charge over 5,000+! Quality depends on the straightening cream used as well as the hairdresser's knowledge and experience.

I forget the exact process, but basically it involves hours and hours of sitting there and having the lady straighten about 10 strands a time using a hair iron, then putting the straightening cream on it and leave it for a while before washing it out. The end result after the whole process is that you can wash your hair and leave it to dry naturally, and it will look like you have just had it done at a salon! Sounds unbelievable but it really works!

Just be very careful about choosing a trustworthy salon with people who know what they're doing, and use high quality straightening cream. I'd also warn against redoing it again before all the previously treated hair has grown out and has been cut off, otherwise you could end up with seriously damaged hair (which happened to me TWICE - don't believe the lady when she tells you it's okay to redo it!)

I would tell her to look for a place that uses Loreal Extenso, I'm a farang with naturally curly hair and have just had mine straightened using this system. All the Thai staff at the Spa where I had it done have tried it too with great effect! Unfortunately I'm in Samui, but if you can't get it done in Bangkok I'd be really surprised.

PS I also had my hair straightened in the UK with Yuko System (a Japanese system Jenifer Aniston and the like use) I paid over 800 dollars for it and it didn't work as well as the Loreal Extenso. I paid 1500 baht for the Extenso. I certainly won't be going back to Yuko!

• 4 years later...

The best treatment available for hair straightening nowadays is actually the Brazilian Keratin treatment, however there is only one shop in Bangkok that i know of that does this treatment and its The Corner Salon in Silom: http://www.hairsalonbangkok.com

You will have to call the owner in advance to book an appointment with Paweerada

She is the best stylist and owner but she only works there for private appointments and bookings after 3pm.

The salon is quite a small cosey salon 5 mins from sala daeng BTS and never overcharges to westerners, plus they use the best imported brands you can buy.

Prices are advertised on her website too and are always reasonable - Paweerada knows her stuff.

I have read all about the Keratin treatment in the brochures at her shop - It's actually better than Japanese treatments and way better than rebonding.

The reasons for this is because keratin is what the hair is naturally made of so instead of damaging the hair or permanently chemically altering it like the japanese or rebonding techniques. The brazilian keratin feeds and rejuvenates the hair and leaves is silky smooth and straight.

Also when your hair grows back with permanent straighter's you will have to re straighten the already straight hair again which is what damages and destroys the hair even more - all this just to get at the roots.

The difference is that with a keratin treatment after 3-5 months you just need to apply the treatment again on the whole head - then the entire hair will feel even better and more soft and silky than the first time as it just feeds and nourishes the hair each time, and leaves it naturally silks and smooth without chemically altering the hair shaft.

In the USA a treatment costs $350, but the good news is it just takes 1-2 hours to do and lasts 3-5 months.

I think it was just 3000 baht at The Corner salon - Anyone interested i advise you to call The Corner Salon