I Am Looking For A Guide In January

Spankybob

A guide? Like a tour guide? You don't need anyone to go to the bank with you to open an account and I would suggest to you to never consider taking a stranger with you to open a bank account!

As for a condo, why don't you research on-line? When you are here you can take a taxi to the addresses of the places you are interested in.

As far as silver jewelry is concerned, there are some shops on Thanon Wu Lai that sell this.

Really, it is not advisable to have a complete stranger with you when you are conducting this extremely personal business like opening bank accounts, purchasing quantities of jewelry, etc. You just never know...

A guide? Like a tour guide? You don't need anyone to go to the bank with you to open an account and I would suggest to you to never consider taking a stranger with you to open a bank account!

As for a condo, why don't you research on-line? When you are here you can take a taxi to the addresses of the places you are interested in.

As far as silver jewelry is concerned, there are some shops on Thanon Wu Lai that sell this.

Really, it is not advisable to have a complete stranger with you when you are conducting this extremely personal business like opening bank accounts, purchasing quantities of jewelry, etc. You just never know...

however-

while i agree that you could do it all by yourself ,it will save a lot of time and you might get better results with somebody to show you around.like for example getting the condo first so you can give the bank an address where you're staying.

doing research online before coming is a good idea though.but you might look at a lot of condos in the wrong part of cm.i don't know a lot of apartments but could show you how to find them by pointing out a few.

places for silver are another thing .you might get lucky with a tuk tuk driver but then again you might not.i have done it before.

i have been in cm for more than seven years and it took time to find it all ,although people here om thai visa can give you a lot of info.

if you're interested i would show you some stuff and answer other quests you might have.as guiding is strictly for thais any westerner like myself can only do it for free.i did on other occasions though shop for people in the west and ship it out to them with their trusted and established shippers. my wife here has a business at the night bazaar and many good connections for wholesale. you can pm me when you're here and if i have the time i point out some stuff to you or i can give you some phonenumbers of thai guides that are trustworthy. we will see how it works out-up to you my friend-

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun SpankyBob,

Please do consider moving here on a temporary basis first, renting a nice room in a guest house or hotel of quality of your preference, and take some time to get the know the city, learn some basic Thai, investigate the different areas of the city ... "some time" as in at least several months.

We strongly suggest you keep your money and financial details outside Thailand, bring only what you need with you and use the ATM for the rest. And be very careful of people (farang or Thai) who will want to become your "instant friends" when they hear you are looking to buy a condo, or anything else. There are scam artists among the farang community here (by saying this we do not imply that anyone on ThaiVisa is in that category, of course !).

You can easily open a savings account at Bangkok Bank even with a tourist visa, and we, and others, have also opened Euro, or US $ dollar accounts which have the great advantage that your money remains Euros or US $ until you withdraw it (at which point it's converted to Baht) : this insulates you from any unpredictable "tsunami" in the Thai economy like the one several years ago when the baht suddenly went up to 53 per the dollar.

Live here a while, network, perhaps join the Expats Club, use Thai Visa for research and making connections, read CityLife magazine, get oriented, do not disclose your assets or resources to anyone until you know them, very, very well.

For any condo, be prepared to do extreme "due diligence" on every aspect of who owns it, who maintains (or in many case doesn't maintain it) properly, etc. For any neighborhood you consider you living it : vist it on weekend night and check out the howling-dog-level and the karaoke-from-hel_l sound levels :)

best, ~o:37;

I'll upset a few people but to be blunt with the request that the OP makes on his first post makes him out to be a very insecure person Any body that he would hire in this town would be a rip off and bunco artist he would have nothing left maybe only his nickers. My advise to the OP, if your for real stay where you are and do not leave home. :)

I'll upset a few people but to be blunt with the request that the OP makes on his first post makes him out to be a very insecure person

If he has not traveled overseas very much, he might have reason to be careful. Unfortunately, advertising it might attract the wrong sort of "help". :)

Please do consider moving here on a temporary basis first, renting a nice room in a guest house or hotel of quality of your preference, and take some time to get the know the city, learn some basic Thai, investigate the different areas of the city ... "some time" as in at least several months.

We strongly suggest you keep your money and financial details outside Thailand, bring only what you need with you and use the ATM for the rest. And be very careful of people (farang or Thai) who will want to become your "instant friends" when they hear you are looking to buy a condo, or anything else. There are scam artists among the farang community here (by saying this we do not imply that anyone on ThaiVisa is in that category, of course !).

You can easily open a savings account at Bangkok Bank even with a tourist visa, and we, and others, have also opened Euro, or US $ dollar accounts which have the great advantage that your money remains Euros or US $ until you withdraw it (at which point it's converted to Baht) : this insulates you from any unpredictable "tsunami" in the Thai economy like the one several years ago when the baht suddenly went up to 53 per the dollar.

Live here a while, network, perhaps join the Expats Club, use Thai Visa for research and making connections, read CityLife magazine, get oriented, do not disclose your assets or resources to anyone until you know them, very, very well.

For any condo, be prepared to do extreme "due diligence" on every aspect of who owns it, who maintains (or in many case doesn't maintain it) properly, etc. For any neighborhood you consider you living it : vist it on weekend night and check out the howling-dog-level and the karaoke-from-hel_l sound levels :)

Orang gives VERY good advice. I couldn't add much more. There are far too many smooth talkers who have an "agenda" and would like you to invest in something that has little or no chance of ever making a profit. They might not be crooks, but they certainly don't tell the whole story. It takes a year or two in any place before you learn whether you will like it enough to settle down and invest there. Holidays in a nice location and actually living there are entirely different things.

I can help you find your way around. A day or two and you will be fine. This is a small place for such a big city.

Orang gives VERY good advice. I couldn't add much more. There are far too many smooth talkers who have an "agenda" and would like you to invest in something that has little or no chance of ever making a profit. They might not be crooks, but they certainly don't tell the whole story. It takes a year or two in any place before you learn whether you will like it enough to settle down and invest there. Holidays in a nice location and actually living there are entirely different things.

I would disagree with orang37 on one suggestion only. Do not show up and then join an expat club. Do not let them, or anyone, know that you have cash to deposit or that you are looking to purchase quantities of silver jewelry. Some of those clubs have an agenda too.

To the OP, if you prefer to do your research by asking questions in person rather than searching online, I suggest you go to some of the local businesses advertising here that are run by foreigners who have lived here for some time. The Dukes, Gecko Books, Tuskers, etc. - also the Art Cafe at Thapae Gate - all have owners that will provide information when asked. You'll get the feel of the place, and make good contacts, while enjoying some of what Chiang Mai has to offer.

Edited by venturalaw

I'll upset a few people but to be blunt with the request that the OP makes on his first post makes him out to be a very insecure person Any body that he would hire in this town would be a rip off and bunco artist he would have nothing left maybe only his nickers. My advise to the OP, if your for real stay where you are and do not leave home. :)

Just cant agree with the insulting statements you have made.Not all Thai's in CM are rip offs and bunco merchants,indeed I am quite sure there are many trustworthy Thais here. Perhaps its your own experiences that have coloured your thinking.

My experience when I came here was very similar to the posters.Maybe I was lucky,but I was introduced to a local Thai as a driver with a decent car who could take me arround and offer advice.

This was 3 years ago. He has been nothing less than considerate,helpfulandknowledgeable. and I see him on a regular basis.Without his local knowledge I would be lost!

I had introduced him to an English couple a year ago and they agree that his assistance was more than helpful.

If the poster wishes to PM me I will give him contact details.

Just cant agree with the insulting statements you have made.Not all Thai's in CM are rip offs and bunco merchants,indeed I am quite sure there are many trustworthy Thais here. Perhaps its your own experiences that have coloured your thinking.

My experience when I came here was very similar to the posters.Maybe I was lucky,but I was introduced to a local Thai as a driver with a decent car who could take me arround and offer advice.

This was 3 years ago. He has been nothing less than considerate,helpfulandknowledgeable. and I see him on a regular basis.Without his local knowledge I would be lost!

I had introduced him to an English couple a year ago and they agree that his assistance was more than helpful.

No where in that statement did I say or insult Thais. I recommend you see an eye doctor and get your mind out of the gutter. :D

Any body that he would hire in this town would be a rip off and bunco artist
No where in that statement did I say or insult Thais.

Perhaps just insulting every Chiang Maier instead. :)

When I first moved here I also met up with a Tuk Tuk driver that would take me wherever I wanted and offered advise and recommendations without trying to rip me off. No, "I show you good gem stones" or "you want lady" from him. :D

Just cant agree with the insulting statements you have made.Not all Thai's in CM are rip offs and bunco merchants,indeed I am quite sure there are many trustworthy Thais here.

I think he is refering to the farang residents, :D

No where in that statement did I say or insult Thais. I recommend you see an eye doctor and get your mind out of the gutter. :D

Oh No!!?? What about the word anyone,or dont you consider Thai's as anyone...non persons perhaps?

No.., you and your opinions and your replies are to say the least pathetic...l.

"Greetings All,

Can anyone recommend a good guide to kind of show me the ropes of Chiang Mai...I will need the guide to help me get into a condo, get a bank account and find wholesale silver jewelry...I will pay a decent daily wage...Many Thanks"

1) I can certainly show you around for a day or 2, no charge (you buy the beer).

2) Renting a condo is very easy, book into the Top North Guest House for a few days while you look, about 500bht a night with nice swimming pool and air con, cheaper without air con. There are many condos around for the 5000bht to 7000bht a month price range. I would be more than happy to show you a few.

3) Siam Commercial Bank are accepting all comers at the moment, holiday visa is fine, pop into any branch with passport and money to open an account, all done in English, you can use any address (not used for communications), account opening cost is 300bht for passbook and ATM card issued on the spot.

4) Silver jewellery is on sale in several areas, but not an area I have any interest in.

Additional suggestion

5) Get a local mobile phone SIM, only 100bht for a DTAC SIM.

PM me if you want.

PS

Contrary to previous advice Bangkok Bank are currently not foreigner friendly, they now make it difficult to get accounts with them (last 3 months)

PPS

Avoid the expats club, they are dire bunch of ????? (just my opinion of course, I'm sure they feel the same about me)

Edited by pjclark1

I wonder where the OP is? It's not unusual for someone to make a début post on a forum never to be seen again! Makes you wonder if they're real or whether it's just a ploy to liven up a forum that might be getting a little quiet :) Aitch

Good point.

Has anybody PM'ed him yet with their "yeah, I'll do it for a bottle of beer" offer and not gotten a reply?

C'mon, 'fess up...