Wrong Shape Car Plate

Daffy D

Got stopped the other day by police check point. Quite a big operation as they were stopping all traffic in both directions.

Very polite officer comes to the window and says says they're just checking. He wanders round the front of the car and has a look at the windscreen tax stickers, all in order. He then looks down at the front number plate and then at me and indicates for me to come and have a look.

Being the cynic that I have become since joining TV I thought this is the shakedown bit but surprisingly not, he points out that the plate is the wrong shape and I will have to pay 500Bt fine.

They have a table set up at the road side with two officers where I go to pay the fine. The first officer gives me a receipt from an official book and then the second officer who has a foolscap size book enters more details about the incident including my fathers name and my mothers name and how old I am. All written down in the book. All very official and bureaucratic. :)

I have to say the officers spoke reasonable English and the whole thing was professionally done, though 500Bt seems a bit steep for a wrong shape plate when something like no helmet is only 300Bt. And yes they were stopping everyone.

For the technically minded the problem with the plate was that it was on one of those elongated mounts that you often see with Playboy bunny or Euro thing at either end, not the normal rectangle shape. My plate has nothing extra just the empty white space and the plate it's self had not been cut down to fit so I don't really see what the fuss is all about but TIT.

:D

Really a coincidence, Daffy_D.

Today I've picked up the white plates of my new car and asked the Isuzu dealer to put them in white frames you were taking about. They told me that they couldn't do that as they don't sell them because they are illegal. The police will fine you, I was told.

Edited by aidenai

From what I understand, the most important thing regarding license plates is that the official stamp (i.e. the embossed circular thing next to the province name) should be easy to see, as this is basically the way they can tell if it's a fake plate. Yet, those plate covers like you have, usually leaves that part quite visible, so who knows... Just one of those things they can come up with on the spot I guess, once I was fined for crossing over two lanes on the highway without pausing in the middle lane first?!?!? What to do... smile and bear it...

Also, I heard from a lot of friends who have those angled/hinged plate holders, that they were fined for those. I have such a thing on my car but never got any crap for it (then again the angle on mine is not so steep).

Edited by eTiMaGo

Rest assured that if it wasn't one thing it would have been another...

the rego sticker wasn't visible enough

Car height off the road

tinting on your windows

non standard tyres

cracked anything

you name it, when they want money they will find it

don't feel too bad.

Oz

Rest assured that if it wasn't one thing it would have been another...

the rego sticker wasn't visible enough

Car height off the road

tinting on your windows

non standard tyres

cracked anything

you name it, when they want money they will find it

don't feel too bad.

Oz

Is there actually a law against tinting windows here? Sure wish they would enforce that one!! It prevents the rude and dangerous drivers from losing face, which hate!!

Hi

dam_n if they do that in phuket they will get some money in a hurry

I have actually been warned twice about it..

The way my car is theres not the depth for Thai plates.. So I had to have it cut to Euro dimensions (warned at the time this may incur fines but what can I do).

It may be illegal but lots of cars have them, maybe a recent clamp down thing.

Lucky your dealer warned you and a brownie point for me for confirming he was not BSiting.

:)

Brownie points plural. Please tell us where in Thailand this heinous crime was committed? Here in Chiang Mai there seems a fad with fancy number plate frames, with Hello Kitty and other nonsense intruding into the 'blank' areas of the plate. Including those little embossed bits at lower right.

Interesting that the elongated plates with Euro stars (in SE Asia!) and the ubiquitous 'D' (for 'Daft') are also deemed illegal.

In so many cases here, illegality is in the eye of the brown beholder.

On just one occasion a friend, married to a Thai, said "If you can show her where this is clearly illegal, WRITTEN in the Thai law, I will pay. Otherwise, please go away." They stayed, but they sent him away, with all his cash intact.