New Pizza&pasta Place

highonthai

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So excited, thick crust, real cheese......... Lunch today for sure. Was dissapionted with my Duke's pizza last month, but I am a fan of everything else I've had there.

I just want; a thick yeast risen crust, cooked both crispy and soft, covered with genorous wholesome, non sweet, real tomata sauce (enough to burn the unaware eaters mouth as punishment for biting in too soon outta of the oven), spicey high quality cold cuts with no pressed meats, and topped with far to much high quality Mozza that melts just sooo nice, not a drop of oil from the nice kinda imported cheese - that's only four items and I can make one at home, but sudden pizza urges have to be met and Chiang Mai needs a good pizza place!!

If I can sneak away from work I'll provide a report - which I don't mind doing if it's goood/great.

Cheers from droolling (too hungry to spell)

Edited by Fishenough

My opinion? Better than Dukes. Better than Mad Dogs. Better than Irish Pub. Better than Paradise Pizza. Better than Pizza KohLanta. (I still haven't tried Guitarman). Better than the all the Italian 'zas (although a slightly unfair comparison). Way fuc_king better than the chains such as Pizza Shit, and 1112 The Shitza Company.

I would agree that it's better than Dukes, Mad Dogs and Koh Lanta. I haven't had pizza at the other places, so can't comment.

And it's a fair comment that a 16 inch pizza is almost twice as big as a 12 inch pizza.

How will I know a 'New York Pizza' when I encounter one?

Usually as thick as telephone guide, pouring ketchup and pepperoni

( :D )

:) New York style pizza is thin crust. Maybe you're thinking of Chicago.

You young guys never had a real Chicago pizza. Thin crust and the best tomato sauce anywhere on the planet. Forget about Chicago Pizza Company and Uno's. They started thick crust pizzas as a way to draw customers away from the traditional Chicago pizzas. Born and raised on the southside of the Windy City with the best pizzas ever. :D

So the conclusion is 'A New York Pizza can be recognised by....................................................

Sounds like Meals on Wheels should be contacting them about delivery.

Sounds like he already has his own delivery set up UG.

Unlikely that MOW could cater for the place as he is too far outta town .....but I live pretty close so its fine for me :)

The reports keep coming in - I guess many of us are desperate for another pizza option. I went last night & had a 16 inch pizza that was pretty close to the pizza I grew up eating in northeastern New Jersey, maybe 20 miles from Manhattan. The crust was just about right in texture - thin & slightly crispy towards the middle, thicker & chewy around the edges. Steven's imported flour makes a difference. And with 2 toppings the pizza was pricey but huge by local standards. It's the first time that my wife & I couldn't finish one together. The sauce and cheese were satisfying, I can't say they really stood out, but overall it was a good approximation of standard, not great, NY area pizza. And in Chiang Mai that's saying something. Check it out for yourself.

They deliver within 3 km, which cuts me out. I'll be back for more though, as I happen to pass by there often already. Good job and good luck to Steven and crew. And once you settle in, maybe a little more atmosphere?

Edited by cm das

Too pricy. If you're way out there on the n'th ring of Saturn, then compared with all of the long established places downtown such as but not limited to Mad Dog, Irish Pub, Mayflower et al, then it better be super special or super cheap.

It sounds like it's neither.

Thanks for the report Keo!!

Too pricy? If the pizza is as good as some of the people are saying it is, then it is actually less expensive than most of the other pizza joints in town. From downtown to where this place is located is about a 10 minute drive so what has that got to do with how the food should be priced? If he uses expensive, quality ingredients then he has to charge appropriately or he doesn't stay in business. Simple economics that some people just can't understand.

Yep, there is good pizza in Chiang Mai now. The sauce was great, wow didn't know that anybody else actually used oregano in town - try the spicey sauce. Four gents happily made two 16 inch pizzas disappear today.

Great pizza followed up with chasing giant snakehead on Mae Kuang reservoir made for a very good day indeed.

Find it yourself, the directions are good enough.

So the conclusion is 'A New York Pizza can be recognised by....................................................

It taste better than any pizza you ever had.

This is, of course, the correct answer.

Actually, a great one tastes better than anything you ever had.

I just did a taste test of both kinds of pizza with my Thai staff. I must admit, they were both luke-warm by the time I tried them, but normally I prefer pizza when it is not so hot.

My staff did not like either kind; They all prefer Pizza Hut and Pizza Company.

I prefer the Duke's pie, but I also enjoyed the Pizza and Pasta pizza. They are quite different. Pizza and Pasta is very much like Paradise Pizza, bready, but not as heavy.

The Duke's has a very thin, but tasty crust and it is not hard like a cracker like the Italian ones.

I much prefered the Duke's pepperoni and sausage to the other pepperoni and sausage , but maybe some people would not agree with me.

I do think that both places are worth checking out, but, IMHO, reports that this pizza is much better than the Duke's are exaggerated.

I just did a taste test of both kinds of pizza with my Thai staff. I must admit, they were both luke-warm by the time I tried them, but normally I prefer pizza when it is not so hot.

My staff did not like either kind; They all prefer Pizza Hut and Pizza Company.

I prefer the Duke's pie, but I also enjoyed the Pizza and Pasta pizza. They are quite different. Pizza and Pasta is very much like Paradise Pizza, bready, but not as heavy.

The Duke's has a very thin, but tasty crust and it is not hard like a cracker like the Italian ones.

I much prefered the Duke's pepperoni and sausage to the other pepperoni and sausage , but maybe some people would not agree with me.

I do think that both places are worth checking out, but, IMHO, reports that this pizza is much better than the Duke's are exaggerated.

A fan of The Duke's but was disappointed greatly by my last pizza there; but if UG says so, I'll to give it another crack.

ugh, Pizza Hut and Pizza Company are so off what our families palates like for Pizza. Recent family visiting tried Pizza Company with us and weird was the word they used to describe there pizza - and they have commonly eaten the variety of pizza I make, we are talking not a week went by with out one from this list (or variation) being made.

- with yeast and quick bread crusts, baking powdered dough crusts with both butter and cheddar cut in with the flour, made over a fire in a dutch oven, cream cheesed pita pizza's, salsa and feta topped wonders (a family favorite), a chili and wiener pizza on a whole wheat double baked crust (hearty; best after a long day fishing or hunting, eaten shore side), spinach and ricotta with extra spicy sauce topped with venison sausage (or fresh crab, but that's a bit rich for some), and my clam pizza is kinda famous in it's own right.................................

He is advertising "New York Style Pizza". If it is true, he may well be swamped with customers. If it is not true, someone will certainly point it out.

It's true. I stopped by today. Great sauce, great dough. Just the way I like it, thin towards the center, thicker near the edge. I think it will be a new weekly stop for me and family. A weeee bit on the expensive side for Thailand (cheaper than states still), but since I can't get it anywhere else, I don't care.

Oh, and the owner is a real nice guy from New York.

Edited by lannarebirth

Popped in last night after a Mae Sa valley bike ride.

Had his last three slices - I couldn't wait to order, and they looked too good.

They were!

Also, Steven makes his slices with a thin crust - he calls it 'credit-card' thin, but it is thicker than that. Crispy, but still thick enough to have a chewy breadiness to it.

Glad he had the slices, because otherwise I would have ordered another large (again) and eaten it all (again).

My birthday is coming up, and it is going to be a good weekend - Pizza, Curry, and Dim Sum. And all at my favourite places: PizzanPasta, New Delhi, and Yangzi Jiang.

I am so happy!

Oh yeah, and my girlfriend is coming to town... :)

tried Pizza and pasta last night with the wife and kids. they absolutely loved the pizza. he did not have macaroni & cheese on the menu but nevertheless made it for us and it came out very tasty with the right kind of cheese in it :) . what a nice man he is. hope his business gets busy busy busy cause he makes superb pizzas :D

highly recommended.

edit: after reading some of the comments above, i just wanted to add that the price is right for the pizzas. not pricey.

Edited by tigerbeer

It taste better than any pizza you ever had.

This is, of course, the correct answer.

Actually, a great one tastes better than anything you ever had.

So, provided that it tastes better than any pizza I've ever had, it must be a New York Pizza?

I must have already eaten them without knowing......after a few beers they ALL taste better than any pizza I've ever had! :)

Come on guys, there must be certain criteria for New York, Chicago etc style pizzas?

I want answers!! :D

Supposedly the water in New York is excellent for cooking, so both bagels and pizza taste better there than anywhere else.

If you buy a standard, round, thin crust pizza and you are in New York, that is a New York Pizza. However, some places are better than others. :)

Supposedly the water in New York is excellent for cooking, so both bagels and pizza taste better there than anywhere else.

If you buy a standard, round, thin crust pizza and you are in New York, that is a New York Pizza. However, some places are better than others. :D

I've been to New York and agree the bagels are great (smoked salmon & cream cheese wow), but they are no better than the bagels from the famous bagel shop in Brick Lane, London - not sure the water theory holds up in this case.

So a New York Pizza is thus because it has a round thin crust? No other criteria? :)

That would be New York style which you can find all over the U.S., but - supposedly - it is the water that makes it better than other pizzas.

The other thing is that New York style pizza has a certain kind of crust which is almost impossible to describe, but you recognize one as soon as you take a bite. The crust of an American (or New York style) pizza is what makes it so much better than an Italian one to most Americans. The taste and texture combined are pretty close to perfect.

Pizza Hut and Pizza Hut serve a lousy version of it in the U.S.A., but not overseas and I have never had a decent one outside of America, but I hear there are great pizzas in Melbourne despite the water. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.