No Import Duty For Mobile Phones From China?

vel_tins

On the

Thai customs

Website, I found the following: (see attachement)

If I dont misunderstand, I have to pay only Vat 7% on top of the Value and transport costs.

E.G.

value: 5000 Bt

shipping 1000Bt=>

6000 Bt +7% correct or not?

upps: wrong forum, please move to business..

post-15975-1261557727_thumb.jpg

Edited by vel_tins

Well.... in order to qualify for the duty rate listed under the ASEAN - Thai FTA, you would need the shipper to provide a "Form E". This form is a certificate of orign issued by the chamber of commerce china, that proves theat the goods were actually manufactured in China. You can find an example on page 3 on the below link.

Form E

This is needed, but the FTAs are all based upon where the goods are manufactured, not where they are shipped from. Without this, people could just have their goods manufactured elsewhere and transit through China and claim duty reduction.

The good news is that the HS Code that you have provided below does not appear to be applicable for Cell phones. I bewlive the below tariff code is applicable and the good news is that the general rate for the below HS Code is 0%, so no "form E" needed

8517.120000 - - - Telephones for cellular networks or for other wireless networks

- general rate - Exempted

As to the calclulations....

CIF value = Cost of goods + Insurance (1% of invoice value) + Freight Costs

If Duty is 0% then only VAT is applicalbe

VAT is 7% of CIF value

The link above didnt work and it wouldnt let me copy and paste the picture.... so lets see if this works

http://www.dft.moc.go.th/level4Frame.asp?s...amp;level4=1150

well that didnt work either....

just go to google and type - "form e" and hit enter and click on the first web page (depatment of foreign trade) and you will see an example of what it looks like

Edited by CWMcMurray

thanks for your replies

but, for better understanding

... I bewlive the below tariff code is applicable and the good news is that the general rate for the below HS Code is 0%, so no "form E" needed

8517.120000 - - - Telephones for cellular networks or for other wireless networks

- general rate - Exempted

correct me if I am wrong, but I think the general rate is 5% ?

8517.12.00   	- - Telephones for cellular networks or for other wireless networks	  5  <-- duty

But its extempted so "Form E" IS needed?

Edited by vel_tins

Just want to give you a bit more info, because I believe I know where you may have been mistaken...

As it was explained to me by our operations manager...

999 : The Customs Tariff Decree B.E. 2530 - shows 5%... you should not look at this when you want to know the import duty...

This box is the max allowable by law, changing of this amount would require a change in the Law.

000 : Notification of the Ministry of Finance Section 12 of the Customs Tariff Decree B.E. 2530 (General Rate) - shows Exempted... thisis the one you want to look at...

This box shows the "current rate" as advised by the Ministry of Finance... this amount can change by the Ministry of Finance and does not require any laws to be revised and this can be less than the MAX allowed by law.

• 2 months later...

I am looking into importing some lights from china. HS Code: 8513.109000

Customs Tariff Decree B.E. 2530) is 60%

Customs Tariff Decree B.E. 2530 (General Rate) is 10%

ACN : ASEAN - China Free Trade Agreement is 20%

AF1 : Customs Duty for the ASEAN Free Trade Area is Exempted

From this thread I understand now that 60% is the max allowed by law and that the general rate is 10%.

Why is the ACN-ASEAN rate more than the general rate? Does this mean by having form E i will have to pay 20% and not 10%, seems backwards.

Also, what is the "AF1 : Customs Duty" rate Exempted, who qualifies for this?

Believe it or not, some import duties go UP if you provide an FTA C/O. I saw that before and yes, it is beyond my comprehension.

Simply do not provide a C/O and save on duties....duhh.... :)