High Phone Costs Vs Skype

h90

In the company we have approx. 12.000 Baht per month domestic phone costs.

I see here: https://secure.skype.com/store/packages/begin 6 USD per month for all phone calls inside Thailand.

Does that work well?

Easy to use?

Is there something better than a headset connected to the computer? Because usually my staff need to walk around, checking this and that while calling.....

We are on True Internet with 12 Mbit so that should be enough

Any ideas?

I find Skype works well for me. Also depends upon how good your internet connection is.

I have a one-country subscription (Australia). I think it works out at AUD$16 for three months, plus I also have a Skype-in number so people can call me on an Australian number.

I have a logitech wireless headset. Works great, and has a great range. I can even talk through Skype whilst being outside.

And since one of TV's sponsors, a law firm, says "Skype Me" on their homepage, I would hazard a guess that Skype is legal in Thailand.

Good topic, i use on my Iphone Skype application, go to wifi locations with my

Truemove unlimited internet with wifi and make unlimited calls to

Thailand for about 200 baht a month, my Iphone plan gives 300 minutes

included in the plan, so these extra Skype calls are very helpful

on my fixed income here. SMS are extra and caller ID does not

seem to work correctly after setting up? they say it is because Truemove

does something to block the ID?

I am going to try my caller ID with my DTAC number to see if it has same problem.

I understand a jailbroken Iphone can work around the wifi and get 3G to look like it is wifi, but I have not tried that since I am home allot and use the wifi at home.

I hope this helps someone and again I am greatful for the website and all the feedback and help since arriving three years ago.

I don't care what is advertised on TV (since when is all your factual data coming from advertising?).

Any VOIP protocol which circumvents the international phone charges of Thai-government-sanctioned long-distance phone services (TOT, TT&T, DTAC, etc.) is illegal in Thailand. Period.

Only VOIP services provided by TOT and CAT are legal in Thailand.

Also illegal in Cambodia and Laos. Vietnam only allows incoming VOIP but not outgoing.

Do your research. You're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy. :)

Edited by toptuan

I don't care what is advertised on TV (since when is all your factual data coming from advertising?).

Any VOIP protocol which circumvents the international phone charges of Thai-government-sanctioned long-distance phone services (TOT, TT&T, DTAC, etc.) is illegal in Thailand. Period.

Also illegal in Cambodia and Laos. Vietnam only allows incoming VOIP but not outgoing.

I've been using www.deedial.com , a VOIP international calling service for several months now and I would wager they are not offering an illegal service. Is it excluded from your concern?

We are doing a bit of research at the moment, indeed CAT had the monopoly on international calls, but it is unlikely they still have this monopoly.

We are trying to find this somewhere in writing but it will be hard.

CAT also lost the monopoly on their International Internet Gateway, since then pretty much every ISP runs their own IIG bypassing CAT altogether (forcing them recently in drastically lowering their bandwidth charges).

Much the same with currently each phone operator running their own VOIP gateway.

Dtac: 004

AIS: 005

True: 006

ToT: 007 and 008

CAT: 009

Only the 001 prefix (or using the + prefix on a mobile phone) will make your call get routed through CAT's regular international network!

There are also some 20 odd registered Co.,Ltd in Thailand offering all kinds of VOIP solutions, Deedial being one of them.

http://www.ntc.or.th/uploadfiles/Notificat...%29_Service.pdf

Latest update (25 December 2007) of the NTC.

In short it states that all internet related services require a license, with the exception of VOIP services.

It also states that all internet services licenses include the use of VOIP services, namely computer to computer, and computer to telephone (such as skype).

Voip services requiring a phone number (telephone to telephone, such as the mobile phone operators) do need a separate license, as per following regulation:

http://www.ntc.or.th/uploadfiles/Notificat...one_Numbers.pdf

http://www.ntc.or.th/uploadfiles/Notificat...%29_Service.pdf

Latest update (25 December 2007) of the NTC.

In short it states that all internet related services require a license, with the exception of VOIP services.

It also states that all internet services licenses include the use of VOIP services, namely computer to computer, and computer to telephone (such as skype).

Voip services requiring a phone number (telephone to telephone, such as the mobile phone operators) do need a separate license, as per following regulation:

http://www.ntc.or.th/uploadfiles/Notificat...one_Numbers.pdf

Thanks very much for clarifying that, Monty! :)

Do your research. You're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy. :D

Thank you Toptuan, defender of Thai corporate interests. Not sure what the super rich Thai monopolies would do without a stalwart advocate on a forum vociferously shooting down everyone's queries. :)

Do your research. You're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy. :D

Thank you Toptuan, defender of Thai corporate interests. Not sure what the super rich Thai monopolies would do without a stalwart advocate on a forum vociferously shooting down everyone's queries. :)

Your pontifications assume too much, Wintermute. You probably should stay mute regarding your judgment of others' motives.

I've used Skype in Thailand since its inception and have no plans to do otherwise.

Facts are facts, whether you or I agree with the law/policies or not.

I've been using www.deedial.com , a VOIP international calling service for several months now and I would wager they are not offering an illegal service. Is it excluded from your concern?

Deedial (Sawasdeeshop) is actually an NTC Type 3 licensed infrastructure carrier in Thailand along with CAT, TOT, TT&T, True and AIS. Any one of these companies can pull a fiber across a national border with no issues. Submarine and satellite are special licenses, but otherwise type 3 is as high as you go. Additionally, all ISP's in Thailand are NTC Type 1 certified, which means they are allowed to offer VoIP services, but technically have to use a Thai service to complete their international calls. However, this regulation is not enforced, and nearly all the ISPs use external international gateways to complete their calls without any issues. It is unlikely this will ever be enforced, as it is nearly impossible to stop, and there would be a great uproar if they really tried to do this to the type 1 holders.

Toptuan is technically correct that Skype use is illegal inside Thailand as they have not applied for a Type 1 license from the NTC. However, nobody is going to make an issue of this. Should anyone ever decide to press this issue, the appropriate license is easily available in about 3 months at around 1 million baht. Also, the service Skype is advertising above is for external users to call into Thailand, not Thai Skype users inside of Thailand. That is completely legal as Skype uses an completely legitimate international gateway to terminate their calls.

I don't think there is any concerns about the mods closing this thread, however I would encourage the OP to investigate the Skype offer more closely, as he will find he can not take advantage of it if his phone calls originate from a Thai IP address.

That isn't exactly correct. Technically, as the provider of the service, Skype would need to sign up a Thai ISP holding an NTC type 1 license or better as a marketing agent for the service to be legal. It would then be offered under the license of the particular ISP marketing the service.

Also, to be completely legal for computer to phone calls, they would need to pair up with an NTC type 3 licensed carrier so that they could use their own facilities based international gateway outside Thailand for completing international calls.

Still, I agree that the chances of this law being enforced at this stage is quite low.

nice to hear about the laws, but how good does it work?

You can make local calls,paying "world" subscription;but they have "fair usage clause" - which you will breach with your many biz calls,even in small company.But you can try and negotiate later.May be - you will have to make this try from another country(open account and subscribe to "world unlimited").

HappyNewYear!

SabaidiPiMai!!

The Skype Unlimited Package which the OP is asking about, works extremely well. Buy a package for Thailand will provide cheap, clear phone calls and certainly cut your phone bill. Buy wireless headsets for your staff if they need mobility - but the battery/chargind cost will eat into your savings.

Getting Skype Unlimited is the single best communication thing I've done since arriving in Thailand. Can you believe when I first came in 2006 I was phoning abroad using a mobile and phone cards? If I was paying 6baht per minute and found one charging 5, I'd rush for the better deal. Now with Skype I can call home unlimited times for 3,750baht per year. Simply amazing.

The Skype Unlimited Package which the OP is asking about, works extremely well. Buy a package for Thailand will provide cheap, clear phone calls and certainly cut your phone bill. Buy wireless headsets for your staff if they need mobility - but the battery/chargind cost will eat into your savings.

Getting Skype Unlimited is the single best communication thing I've done since arriving in Thailand. Can you believe when I first came in 2006 I was phoning abroad using a mobile and phone cards? If I was paying 6baht per minute and found one charging 5, I'd rush for the better deal. Now with Skype I can call home unlimited times for 3,750baht per year. Simply amazing.

How is Skype Out when making calls to/from Thailand in terms of latency in the voice transmission?

<A name=OLE_LINK1>Hi,

There is a new call diverter for landline and cell phone

through skype free - "Rylwy"

your incoming calls from your landline and cell phone will follow you for

free anywhere you travel, to another internet connection,

and you can make calls from your original landline anywhere

In the world as if you are near your landline.

How is Skype Out when making calls to/from Thailand in terms of latency in the voice transmission?

Very good overall. At the very worst, some hissing in the background but like that on 009 or any VOIP service. Usually very clear and often so quiet that I think the person on the other end has put the phone down. I would suggest investing in a western DECT cordless set up which makes it really the same as a landline.

I use vonage can call any number in Thailand for free and no need for headsets and cap, just plug my phone into the ATA from Vonage and it works just like a normal phone. way way better then skype and being tied to headphones. I do use stkpe a bit on my laptop when I travel, but I hate being tied to the computer. My vonage is flawless I would not trade it for skype if skype was free.