Bkk To Pattaya

DeepSea

Could somebody give me an idea of the best route to take when riding a bike between Bkk and Pattaya...?

I've only ridden this once, the experience was a bit of a nightmare (not being allowed to ride on the toll roads) and I ended up doubling back half a dozen times and taking roads that seemingly went in the wrong direction... how I found my way, quite frankly, is a bit of a mystery to me. If anybody rides this route regularly, I'd appreciate a heads up on the best option, thanks.

Well one of the reasons I no longer live in Bangkok was the 150 some odd Sois on Sukumvit till you get to Bangna and Soi 150 D (as memory serves) where you can make a left and go under the tollway

If you miss the left turn you will end up at the Alligator Farm, otherwise it is not a bad ride from there on (especially during the rainy season when the overhead highway shields you from the weather) :)

Lived on, SURPRISE, Soi Langsuan, so I had to go the full length of Sukumvit in Bangkok

Deepsea, another option is you can go underneath the elevated tollway No 3 all the way to the outskirts of Chonburi , then follow the signs for Pattaya & Rayong and head out to the last piece of the 7 motorway (bypassing Chonburi City, Si Racha and Laem Chabang) until you reach the Pattaya junction near the Regents school. I must add that this section of the 7 does prohibit bikes but many use it, of all shapes and sizes and it appears without being pulled by the BiB. The choice, risk, call it what you may, is there!

Failing the above and apart from going via Chachoengsao & Ban Bueng you have no other option than staying on Sukhumvit all the way down, as the rest have advised.

OP it would help if you told us where in Bangkok you are!

I am in Bangkapi... I think I may have taken the route suggested by Langsuan Man, not sure if I ended up at an aligator farm, but I certainly had to double back at least once, ran out of road a couple of times also and was directed (in a round about way) to roads that I couldnt believe represented a 'main route' to Chonburi...

Thanks for all the input... I'll try and follow the suggested Sukhumvit route on Google Earth so I can better identify the 'left under the tollway'...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source...809555&z=11

I have chosen to use Seacon Square as a start point. Go through Samut Prakarn & at point C go under the elevated tollway & turn right. Follow the signs for Pattaya. Take the Chon Buri outer ring road - on the solid concrete 7 for a while till you come to Bira Raceway. Follow the signs.

OP it would help if you told us where in Bangkok you are!

I am in Bangkapi... I think I may have taken the route suggested by Langsuan Man, not sure if I ended up at an aligator farm, but I certainly had to double back at least once, ran out of road a couple of times also and was directed (in a round about way) to roads that I couldnt believe represented a 'main route' to Chonburi...

Thanks for all the input... I'll try and follow the suggested Sukhumvit route on Google Earth so I can better identify the 'left under the tollway'...

Don't want to get you too confused, but if you're in BangKapi, you might want to take Ramkamhaeng all the way out to the end (it opens up after you get past Ring Road), turn right onto 304 and to thru Chachoengsao towards Chonburi, 304 turns into 314 and you'll run into 7. It's not a bad road, I just hate bang Na Trad.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source...809555&z=11

I have chosen to use Seacon Square as a start point. Go through Samut Prakarn & at point C go under the elevated tollway & turn right. Follow the signs for Pattaya. Take the Chon Buri outer ring road - on the solid concrete 7 for a while till you come to Bira Raceway. Follow the signs.

Thanks for the map, much appreciated.

Don't want to get you too confused, but if you're in BangKapi, you might want to take Ramkamhaeng all the way out to the end (it opens up after you get past Ring Road), turn right onto 304 and to thru Chachoengsao towards Chonburi, 304 turns into 314 and you'll run into 7. It's not a bad road, I just hate bang Na Trad.

I appreciate the advice. I'll have to try this and the other suggestions and will post my thoughts on the ride and state of the roads for anybody else out there contemplating the trip.

Edited by DeepSea