Anyone Know Somewhere South On The Coast - Not Touristy...

AugustineB

Hi weve been working in Thailand for the last few months as English teachers and are going home in March. We would like to rent a place for a month on the coast for our last month and just basically relax. However we are used to living quite out the way in Thailand and basically have very little stomach for the touristy falantg areas where everything is much more expensive and you get hastled all the time - this for us is not the Thailand we are used to and we tend to avoid places like Khao San rd or Phucket like the plague.

However we do want to go down to the South of Thailand for our last month and bask on the beach somewhere (we were thinking maybe near the Burmese border but are open to all suggestions) .

Can anyone who lives here reccomend and quiet places that are cheap (were on Thai wages after all !) and non tourissty where we could spend our last month here ? Feel free to PM me......

P.S. We can speak enough Thai to get by.....

Good advices so far. Superb beaches/clear water without tourists are also in Trat on the way to Cambodia in the area of Khao Lan. The narrowest part of Thailand.

or Koh Kood, the second biggest island in the Koh Chang archipelago with wonderful beaches.

Edited by Birdman

Bang Saphan is pretty cool. Yai and Noi. Also Ban Krut nearby is very quiet. We stayed at a great resort right across from the beach on a rarely used road. Great place to relax, beautiful beaches. http://www.rachavadee.com/

Khao Lak is nice (the whole area north of Phuket). It's also close to Kao Sok national park,with many trails to explore, as I am sure sitting on the beach everyday will become a bore...

m

Been there, done that, on most every beach in Thailand. I like the simple areas around the Cambodia/Trat border and a boat ride will take you to Shinookville, fantastic beaches, cheap, and very few tourist. 10 bucks or less a night. The area north of Hua Hin is my favorite,. Miles of near deserted beaches, few vendors, and 15 buck ac rooms 5 miles from town. Just pick your area and you will find unlimited choices. A busride to nearly everyplace and then rent a scooter will do the trick. Good hunting.

ps. Phuket out and away from patong is a joy. Near Hawaii quality views and a chalet for 20 bucks overlooking the southern most bay. Above patong 10k nearly as beautiful.

augustineb

if you do decide to come further south to a small resort town called trang where farangs are few and far in between.... try out this money back guaranteed european home for rent.... only 500 baht per night for two.... it is the best value for your hard earned money.

post-75359-1264883691_thumb.jpg

Edited by nakachalet

I would recommend Ban Krut. 8000 baht and you have a 2 bed bungalow for a whole month (suan ban krut).

Ban Krut is good for swimming and is a very relaxed place. In the weekends you have Thai tourists (company tours) which are a little busy. But that breaks the quietness during the rest of the week. A beautiful temple on top of the maintain with great views over the bays.

You will have the beach almost to yourself, and have many Thai restaurants and with a few resorts further away from town you can also enjoy some western style food.

There is even a farang who has a small pizzeria. Almost no nightlife, i have seen 1 karaoke on the road from the train station to the beach (great food). When you get up early there is a market every day in the small center and once a week a bigger market. A motorcy-taxi costs you 10-20 baht.

Been there, done that, on most every beach in Thailand. I like the simple areas around the Cambodia/Trat border and a boat ride will take you to Shinookville, fantastic beaches, cheap, and very few tourist. 10 bucks or less a night. The area north of Hua Hin is my favorite,. Miles of near deserted beaches, few vendors, and 15 buck ac rooms 5 miles from town. Just pick your area and you will find unlimited choices. A busride to nearly everyplace and then rent a scooter will do the trick. Good hunting.

ps. Phuket out and away from patong is a joy. Near Hawaii quality views and a chalet for 20 bucks overlooking the southern most bay. Above patong 10k nearly as beautiful.

I have heard that boat ride from the border can be tough at times. Is that true? I have not been there, but heard the beaches are nice.

I don't like the beaches around Hua Hin and Cha Am. Not real pretty to me. Ban Krut has really beautiful beaches and it is quiet with NO tourists.

Phuket's beaches, like you said, are really beautiful. I was there in August during off season. Can't remember the name of the beach, but everything was closed. Asked a local and they said most places do close down. But it was nice...just be careful of the rough waters....

augustineb

trang, an old chinese-thai city, has numerous attractions including several world class quiet beaches that have not been commercialized as yet....

come and you'll have a good time with plenty of southern hospitality....

at night you can also check out the most popular restaurant-pub with live music named CHA-NGAW PUB which is on called at google.... not only that its owner is one of the most hospitable host named Par-Timm....

attached herewith for your pleasure, there are a few google maps that will zero you into TRANG, SOUTH THAILAND.

should you still have any problem locating the place, you can call (within thailand) zero eight nine one nine seven one nine one nine or (from outside th) +66 eight nine one nine seven one nine one nine, ok? we'll be more than happy to direct you.... with pleasure.

good luck and have load of fun....

post-75359-1265470425_thumb.jpg

post-75359-1265470438_thumb.jpg

post-75359-1265470456_thumb.jpg

Edited by nakachalet

Trang, in the deep south is beautiful and has a nice beach.

Basic Thai will be OK, not a lot of English speakers.

Enjoy yourselves.

Hi - Ive been trying to find trang on a map . The only one I can find is the town inland - is this the same one ?

really? what kind of teachers are you? Trang is a province in Thailand. Follow countless google hints or follow google earth to the West and you will see all...

Enjoy yourselves.

Hi - Ive been trying to find trang on a map . The only one I can find is the town inland - is this the same one ?

really? what kind of teachers are you? Trang is a province in Thailand. Follow countless google hints or follow google earth to the West and you will see all...

that is correct.... trang is a province as well as a name for the city itself. it should be pronounced as t-r-u-n-g, rather than trang.... anyway, the locals couldn't careless whichever way you say it... lol

according to some elderly chinese gentlemen's account, who immigrated from southern part of china over a hundred years ago, to trung thru GUN-TUNG port which is about 30 minutes pleasant drive from trung, the mistaken name--trang was erroneously put on the map by some colonizing dutch sailors who were too drunk to distinguish the native thai pronounciation which when correctly pronounced should be TRUNG, rather than trang.... so the incorrectly spelled name exists to the embarrassment of everyone english speaking person--but then, nobody in trung seems to care either, not even a tiny bit.... LOL

at present, trung could very well represent thailand of four decades ago.... it remains friendly, unspoiled, unpolluted.... and there are several beaches to suit everyone's taste....

besides, you can also skin dive and/or scuba dive in several small islands.... more importantly, trung is very safe....

the accidental mortality rate for farangs is less than 0.001 percent.... <my educated guesstimation, lol> during the past twelve months there was only one farang traffic fatality--it involved heavy drinking.... this young man whom i personally knew was from holland.... he was riding on a motor bike around 2 am after having been drinking and dancing the night away.... it just happened barely two weeks ago.... it is really an untimely death.... a very unnecessary accident.... may God bless his soul....

Edited by nakachalet

Enjoy yourselves.

An English teacher Smartass. And besides putting Trang into google Earth or maps just revealed the city.....

Prachuap Kiri Khan is beautiful and has many deserted beaches. Another good point is that it is located on the narrow part of the country and close to Burma, mountains and waterfalls.