1040 Requirements To Claim Thai Wife And Step Daughter

I am living and supporting my Thai wife by registered marriage and her Thai daughter for all of 2009 in Thailand.

I am using Turbo Tax to do the long form of the 1040. This is the first time I will be filing a joint return with my Thai wife.

When I called the IRS a while back they said to send in the W-7 form with my 2009 tax forms to get her the ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number).

I guess that means I can't file online. (E-File)

I should have no problem with her at this point. (any suggestions?)

My question is about her 18 mos. old daughter (my step daughter) passing the residency tests.

The forms on Turbo Tax asks if the daughter is a resident of the US and how many mos. living with me in the US.

From this, it looks like I can't take the Child Tax Credit because we are not living in the US.

Does anyone have any experience with this situation?

My accountant has been filing my 1040 for some 4 years now. Filing as married joint return with my Thai wife. Filing address is my house here in Phuket. She does not have USA ss# so nothing in that space nor any other special info. No children so cannot comment on that part.

I have used TurboTax for many years but will no longer use it because of the many errors and wrong information which it contains.

That said, publication 972 (Child Tax Credit - 2009) does Not contain the requirement that the child has lived in the US for any amount of time.

You do, however need a TIN for the child (your stepdaughter) since she obviously does not have a SS number.

You should be able to get this with form W-7 if you can get the required documentation.

I would not trust TurboTax any longer.

Suggest that you check out this site: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/i...urbotax_p3.html

I have used TurboTax for many years but will no longer use it because of the many errors and wrong information which it contains.

That said, publication 972 (Child Tax Credit - 2009) does Not contain the requirement that the child has lived in the US for any amount of time.

You do, however need a TIN for the child (your stepdaughter) since she obviously does not have a SS number.

You should be able to get this with form W-7 if you can get the required documentation.

I would not trust TurboTax any longer.

Suggest that you check out this site: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/i...urbotax_p3.html

I looked over the consumer complaints documented on the link you gave and I'm happy to report that I didn't have any of those install and download type problems.

I'm using Windows 7 Pro and maybe all the .Net files were already installed.

I did have the unpleasant problem of not being able to transfer last years data to the 2009 Turbo Tax.

Last year I used the online version (Free untl time to file and print) sponsored by Bank of America but the Turbo Tax license granted to BOA was crafty enough not to allow saving the 2008 in a format that could be transfered to my PC resident version of 2009 Turbo Tax.

I am having to enter everything by hand. The interesting and helpful part is that I can go again to the BOA 2009 online version and it allows me to transfer my 2008 data to the new 2009 online version. This does allow me to check my accuracy.

Very awkward this year for sure.

I looked at the IRS 972 publication and I think I understand why the Turbo Tax is confused by my answers.

The Child Tax Credit residency requirement in Condition 6 states that the child must be "a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national, or a U.S. resident alien" .

We would fail that test but it goes on further to say that an adopted child would meet the Condition 6.

So if I go directly to the 1040 form and check the box that my child qualifies for the Child Tax Credit the program computes a tax deduction.

I'll send in the W7 form with my return as you mentioned.

Thanks for your time and help.

I've been filing for my wife and daughter for the past 2 years. We don't live in the US currently however I use my permanent

US address on the filing.

My wife has a ITIN, my daughter (born in Thailand) has a SS# and the filing each year has never been questioned.

Why don't you look into a ITIN for your step daughter?

I've been filing for my wife and daughter for the past 2 years. We don't live in the US currently however I use my permanent

US address on the filing.

My wife has a ITIN, my daughter (born in Thailand) has a SS# and the filing each year has never been questioned.

Why don't you look into a ITIN for your step daughter?

Do you only need a translated Birth Cert? Or more. Can Thai children under 15 get a passport?