Mexican Restaurants In Thailand: Reviews And Pics

Tejas

I've been jonesing for some texymexy. any ideas?

http://www.miguels-cafe.com/ The best Tex Mex in Thailand.

I really like Miguel's but I would call it more California-style than Tex-Mex, esp with the emphasis on giant burritos and quesadillas, and use of sour cream. Also they make all their tacos with *flour* tortillas, not corn tortillas. While it's not impossible to find flour tortilla tacos in Texas, corn tortilla tacos are much more common. And in Mexico, there's no such thing as a flour tortilla taco (or if there is, they wouldn't call it a taco). All in all, with a few notable exceptions (yellow cheese, for example), Tex-Mex is closer to true Mexican cuisine than Cali-Mex but they're all good when done well, IMO.

I don't think there are any true Tex-Mex places in Thailand. Tacos & Salsa in Bangkok probably comes closest, but the owner would hate it if you suggested that to him ;) IMO Tacos & Salsa and Barrio Bonito are the only true Mexican places.

Most places in Thailand are California style. In Bangkok that would include Los Cabos (which although advertised as California style, is more Baja California style to my palate), La Monita, Senor Picos and Coyote.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came across a surprisingly good Mexican place on Koh Chang recently. It's called Barrio Bonito ('Beautiful Neighborhood' for those who don't know Spanish), on Lonely Beach. and the menu is prepared by a friendly Mexican woman named Mariana. I went for the weekend with Mexican friends who had already found the place, and we all agreed, pretty authentic for the most part, and always tasty. I was especially glad to see alambres and queso fundido on the menu. Excellent enchiladas, better than most I've eaten in Bangkok and topped with real queso requeson. Black beans were another knockout dish, reminded me of the way Jorge used to make them at first at Tacos & Salsas (and hopefully will make them that way again at the new T&S, now that he's in charge again).

Barrio Bonito also has nice rooms for under a a thousand baht a night. We stayed a couple of nights and enjoyed several delicious home-style Mexican meals.

Thanks, I like Koh Chang and didn't know about this place, will check it out next time. They have a website you can find on google too, but no menu

I really like Miguel's but I would call it more California-style than Tex-Mex, esp with the emphasis on giant burritos and quesadillas, and use of sour cream. Also they make all their tacos with *flour* tortillas, not corn tortillas.

They also have tacos with hard corn tortillas - 3 different types. ;)

I really like Miguel's but I would call it more California-style than Tex-Mex, esp with the emphasis on giant burritos and quesadillas, and use of sour cream. Also they make all their tacos with *flour* tortillas, not corn tortillas.

They also have tacos with hard corn tortillas - 3 different types. ;)

Really? Jack-in-the-Box style, eh? I was at Miguel's Express on Niman a few weeks ago, didn't see that option. Nor is it mentioned on Miguel's website menu.

http://www.miguels-cafe.com/menu1.htm

We eat quite regularly as Los Cabos and most times it is delicious and the service fantastic. We normally order one of their platters that you can share, with ribs, pulled pork, chicken and sides of beans etc. However last night (Friday) we found the ribs were dry and the rest of the platter contents, except the chicken, were dried out and tasted like they had been either overcooked or perhaps cooked and then reheated several times, with a dry and very chewy texture. None of our side dishes arrived either, which was disappointing, although the waitress apologised profusely and gave us a free margarita to compensate. The table of 4 next to us had 1 round of drinks and when no menus were delivered by the time their glasses were empty, they paid up and left. The staff were busier than I've seen them before, with a couple of large groups, but forgetting to give out menus may not go down well with their boss! I hope it was just an off night.

• 3 weeks later...

We eat quite regularly as Los Cabos and most times it is delicious and the service fantastic. We normally order one of their platters that you can share, with ribs, pulled pork, chicken and sides of beans etc. However last night (Friday) we found the ribs were dry and the rest of the platter contents, except the chicken, were dried out and tasted like they had been either overcooked or perhaps cooked and then reheated several times, with a dry and very chewy texture. None of our side dishes arrived either, which was disappointing, although the waitress apologised profusely and gave us a free margarita to compensate. The table of 4 next to us had 1 round of drinks and when no menus were delivered by the time their glasses were empty, they paid up and left. The staff were busier than I've seen them before, with a couple of large groups, but forgetting to give out menus may not go down well with their boss! I hope it was just an off night.

I like Mexican food (probably a corn thing). But Los Cabos is not very good and way too expensive.

I know, for a fact, that Jorge, the owner of Tacos and Salsa, has opened in a new location (end of soi 18 Sukhumvit off of Asok BTS).

I have not yet eaten there, but his old place served really good Mexican food.

Has anybody tried the new place/location?

Yeah we need feedback on the new Tacos & Salsa - Jorge is a fantastic guy & tries real hard. Hope he learned his lesson & will be on site.

If I had a problem like that at Los Cabos I would have totally asked to speak with the manager & I would have sent the food back.

The platter idea started at Great American Rib in Suk 36. Still great food. Wed night buffett.

Allow me to answer my own question. I happened to be in the neighborhood today so I thought I would see what's up. Jorge is right at the end of Soi 18 opposite Towne Lodge. It is a nice looking bright airy shop house facing North so it should be cooler to sit inside or out. Jorge lives upstairs. He was resting when I went by. I spoke with his (I guess) girlfriend. She told me they have been open since 7 Jan. Saturday night is buffet; 300 baht. Sunday (tonight) is Bar B Q night. I had already eaten but the tacuitos looked great. We all know Jorge has the best beans in town & his guacamole is tasty too. Same name as before. Let's get in there & support him.

Allow me to answer my own question. I happened to be in the neighborhood today so I thought I would see what's up. Jorge is right at the end of Soi 18 opposite Towne Lodge. It is a nice looking bright airy shop house facing North so it should be cooler to sit inside or out. Jorge lives upstairs. He was resting when I went by. I spoke with his (I guess) girlfriend. She told me they have been open since 7 Jan. Saturday night is buffet; 300 baht. Sunday (tonight) is Bar B Q night. I had already eaten but the tacuitos looked great. We all know Jorge has the best beans in town & his guacamole is tasty too. Same name as before. Let's get in there & support him.

I will be going soon (within the next two weeks) for beef fajitas......will post my opinion then.

I agree with Powderpuff.......we really need to support Jorge and T&S. Most of us know how hard it is to get decent Mexican food in Thailand.