Chances Of A Job? (my Skills Are Listed)

i realize its difficult, but not impossible. i actually called up two companies i was referred to and have an interview setup for tomorrow. we'll see how that goes, thanks a lot for your kind advice :D

It's not impossible, to have an interview, but would they employ you meeting all the requirements?

I also had a contact for an interview but after i called the company manager on telephone he basically knew already that would not hire me stating that I could make a lot more money in Europe than here and for him to meet the requirements of hiring a foreigner I should have special skills, something like being able to extract milk from a male elephant or something… :o

So, how did the interviews went? Managed to get employed?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>* 4 major programming languages and 2 database application languages

I know 12 but so what... How well can you use them? App/system design, design patterns, code design, system architecture skills are more important than how many languages you know.

Wow! Which 12? (Logo don't count.)

i had one interview today (the other one cancelled because they already found someone) but we couldnt agree on the salary, i was the one to say no. so i'll keep looking :o i may not know 12 programming languages like the guy above posted, but i can do pretty much anything that's possible with the 4 i know.

Harmonica: Your Antarctica parable, however fascinating, misses the point entirely. Guess Logic 101 is NOT on your list of qualifications. “If the premise is wrong, why continue?”. Huh? What premise? Here’s an experienced person, fluent in many languages, seeking a job in Thailand’s IT industry. And this is a “wrong premise”? Again, fascinating.

Gnthl_2: I have similar qualifications as you. 6+ years work experience, good language skills, but no relevant degree. I now have a flexible and relatively high paying IT job in Phuket. Less than I could’ve gotten back home, but for me it’s all about Quality of Life. I’m certainly glad that I got out of my rotten stuffy A4 cubicle in time to enjoy life in LOS to the fullest. Good luck. Oh! Off to the beach…

BTW, do you want to share which salary you turned down? Just curious.

Harmonica: Your Antarctica parable, however fascinating, misses the point entirely. Guess Logic 101 is NOT on your list of qualifications. “If the premise is wrong, why continue?”. Huh? What premise? Here’s an experienced person, fluent in many languages, seeking a job in Thailand’s IT industry. And this is a “wrong premise”? Again, fascinating.

Gnthl_2: I have similar qualifications as you. 6+ years work experience, good language skills, but no relevant degree. I now have a flexible and relatively high paying IT job in Phuket. Less than I could’ve gotten back home, but for me it’s all about Quality of Life. I’m certainly glad that I got out of my rotten stuffy A4 cubicle in time to enjoy life in LOS to the fullest. Good luck. Oh! Off to the beach…

very well written, Godot. i believe there are good jobs available, you perhaps just need the right connections or look in the right places. the salary i turned down was 35,000 - i have a lifestyle to support and enough time to get the right job :o

For both Godot and Gnthl 2:

No degree(s) -- expert in a field (?) where Thais can do the same stuff cheaper and possibly, better -- 4 languages? :D only English and Thai are essential here, so you are not special, amigo! -- coming to Thailand to earn 35,000 to 50,000 Baht per month has got to be the stupidest thing a fella can do! -- and you were self-employed outside Thailand? :D

But the night is still young; there's always more dummies showing up to do likewise. :D

Why?

They love the food, the women, the booze, the cheap lifestyle, the exotic beaches, the gorgeous scenery and the relatively stressfree lifestyle -- all valid reasons! :D

But they gots neither Ed. nor money for these honies -- they gots to work for $700 per month and eat out of soup cans! :D:D

F*ckin brilliant! :o

At least the Moron on his way to the airport and seeing the sign, "Airport Left" -- turned around and went back home! You 2 cats took the ferry! :D:D

i had one interview today (the other one cancelled because they already found someone) but we couldnt agree on the salary, i was the one to say no. so i'll keep looking :o i may not know 12 programming languages like the guy above posted, but i can do pretty much anything that's possible with the 4 i know.

I think that 35k baht was a good offer. Thais have lower salary wages even with several years of experience. It’s true that they don’t have good English skills but their salaries are significantly lower.

By the way, what is your nationality? There is a minimum wage/salary law, which i mentioned on a previous post, but i wonder how they employ you for less than the specified by this law.

As i said, I have the equivalent to a full post-graduate degree, 6+ years experience not to speak the more than 15 years working with computers and more than 12 years exposure to the internet. The truth is that i would accept a 35k baht offer even though the law specifies 50k. You won’t get a lot of jobs offering more than this, IMO.

Maybe you can get more as English teacher but for this you should have a degree and teaching certificate.

If the pay is just 30,000 per month you could probably make more (and work less) just doing free lance stuff...

I mean i've been here on vacation for the last 2 1/2 months making more than 30,000 per month just doing free lance stuff from my appartment. (got the cheap true dsl hooked up)

And i only work maybe 3 hours a day average. If you get a 9-5 here it will probably end up being more like a 9-8 or something :-\

Just find a niche and work the freelance market... only downside is its very unstable... some days i'm making 12,000 baht in a morning, next week get like 2,000 for the whole week...

No degree(s) -- expert in a field (?) where Thais can do the same stuff cheaper and possibly, better -- 4 languages? :D only English and Thai are essential here, so you are not special, amigo! -- coming to Thailand to earn 35,000 to 50,000 Baht per month has got to be the stupidest thing a fella can do! -- and you were self-employed outside Thailand? :D

But the night is still young; there's always more dummies showing up to do likewise. :D

Why?

They love the food, the women, the booze, the cheap lifestyle, the exotic beaches, the gorgeous scenery and the relatively stressfree lifestyle -- all valid reasons! :D

But they gots neither Ed. nor money for these honies -- they gots to work for $700 per month and eat out of soup cans! :D:D

At least the Moron on his way to the airport and seeing the sign, "Airport Left" -- turned around and went back home! You 2 cats took the ferry! :D:D

are you the first guy in the beer bar in the morning and the last guy to get kicked out at night or are you just generally on drugs? the job offer i had yesterday was not for a thai company and they didn't want a thai person. nothing against thais, i think they're much friendlier than some people. as you've seen my post and others above, it is quite possible to earn 35k/month upwards in Thailand. i think you're afraid someone will take away your 5k baht teaching job, because you dont have intelligence for much else. :D

and Harmonica, you're so great talking about big salaries and laughing about how other people may be eating out of soup cans, even though they don't and won't (unless its a good soup, then i dont mind) ...i decided to look up your previous posts and found this one:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25272&hl=

and you're saying "looks good to me -- will take a look at it tomorrow" about the 3 bedroom house for 5000 baht/month? it looks like YOU are the one not above the 35,000 baht per month income range and eating out of soup cans.

:o

Edited by gnthl_2

Why?

Again, Harmonica, you life wisdom blows me away. Tip: Try not to be funny. Because you’re not. And your attempts at sarcasm are embarrassing.

Moreover, if you really cannot think of anything more stupid to do than earning 50,000 baht in Thailand, well, you lack imagination my friend.

I estimate that the living costs in Thailand are about 1/5 of the costs back home. Put that into the equation, plus the relatively low taxes, then 50,000 isn’t really that bad. I don’t know what brand of soup cans you are referring to, but they appear to be on the expensive side. With 50K a month, you can eat at restaurants every day.

And just for the record. I currently earn far more than 50,000 baht per month. Why? Because our clients are mostly based in Europe and the US so language skills are essential.

My humble advise: Whatever Harmonica advises you to do, do the opposite :D

Phastmike: I believe that the minimum salary requirements you posted are for 1 year visas. I think you can earn less than 50K and still get a WP, if you don’t mind leaving the country every 3 months or so. Maybe someone can clarify this?

and Harmonica, you're so great talking about big salaries and laughing about how other people may be eating out of soup cans, even though they don't and won't (unless its a good soup, then i dont mind) ...i decided to look up your previous posts and found this one:

and you're saying "looks good to me -- will take a look at it tomorrow" about the 3 bedroom house for 5000 baht/month? it looks like YOU are the one not above the 35,000 baht per month income range and eating out of soup cans.

:D

:D:D:D

You've just gone and proved my point, chump! Thanks! :D

My rent is 10K/mo., but @ annual payment rate its only 8,500 Baht/month.

If I'd have found a house that I liked for 5K, I'd have taken it! :o

If you'd searched further you'd have found a thread wherein I bought the 2nd cheapest car in Thailand for my gal; a Toyota Vios.

That's not all -- I haven't bought any new clothes for 3 years.

There's more -- someday you'll get the point. :D

God, do I love it so! :D

F*ckin brilliant!

Again, Harmonica, you life wisdom blows me away. Tip: Try not to be funny. Because you’re not. And your attempts at sarcasm are embarrassing.

Moreover, if you really cannot think of anything more stupid to do than earning 50,000 baht in Thailand, well, you lack imagination my friend.

I estimate that the living costs in Thailand are about 1/5 of the costs back home. Put that into the equation, plus the relatively low taxes, then 50,000 isn’t really that bad. I don’t know what brand of soup cans you are referring to, but they appear to be on the expensive side. With 50K a month, you can eat at restaurants every day.

And just for the record. I currently earn far more than 50,000 baht per month. Why? Because our clients are mostly based in Europe and the US so language skills are essential.

My humble advise: Whatever Harmonica advises you to do, do the opposite :D

Phastmike: I believe that the minimum salary requirements you posted are for 1 year visas. I think you can earn less than 50K and still get a WP, if you don’t mind leaving the country every 3 months or so. Maybe someone can clarify this?

Godot,

You get blown away too easily! :D

Here's your own post:

>>>>>> I have similar qualifications as you. 6+ years work experience, good language skills, but no relevant degree . I now have a flexible and relatively high paying IT job in Phuket. Less than I could’ve gotten back home, but for me it’s all about Quality of Life. I’m certainly glad that I got out of my rotten stuffy A4 cubicle in time to enjoy life in LOS to the fullest. Good luck. Oh! Off to the beach…<<<<<<<<

More degreeless "experts" coming to LOS -- God help us all! :D:o

Could'nt even cut the mustard in his own country, but thinks he can do it here! :D

I can't handle any more of this sublime entertainment! :D

Harmonica. Quick quiz:

Is there a difference between RELEVANT degree and A degree?

I have a Masters degree, by the way, but not in IT (read: not relevant).

Nothing personal, but your advice and anecdotes s u c k s.

Do I detect a small element of envy here....? Nah - must be my imagination.... :D

Do I detect a small element of envy here....? Nah - must be my imagination.... :D

you've got to be kidding, right?

Thanks for the input godot. Actually i'm making monthly visa runs so it would be an improvement if leaving the kingdom on a 3 months basis.

It’s good news then, although this visa run thing is kind of exhausting.

I’ve been doing a daily estimate of life costs and it’s cheap when compared to some european countries but if i compare with my country (Portugal) then the difference it’s not that much (overall). I think the minimum for living here is around 35k baht if you live it the Thai way, as a foreigner :o .

Harmonica. Quick quiz:

Post a jpeg image of your Master's degree cert. to George!

We can initiate a game here for all!

I'll start the ball rolling:

The odds that your Master's Degree was:

(a) purchased in Bangkok for 200 Baht

or

(:o earned @ Univ. of Zimbabwe

or

© earned at the University of West Los Angeles ( a one-room schoolhouse)

------------------------

I have the first bid in @ $25 that (a) is the correct answer! :D

Harmonica. Quick quiz:

No hard feelings, Godot, but :D

at this juncture I'd just be exquisitely pleased to be informed that you did get a High School diploma. :D

When I'm ready to be dead & buried I would welcome the news that you took my advice, went back to school and got that Masters degree instead of just wasting your time on the beach @ such a young age -- it might be just the impetus I need for a 2nd wind. :D

A man's got to know his own limitations! :o

If the pay is just 30,000 per month you could probably make more (and work less) just doing free lance stuff...

There is no thing as a legal foreigner freelancer in thailand as far as i know. Anyway, are you working with thai companies or foreign companies?

For foreign companies, mostly US, some UK.

Theres no way to get caught doing this kind of work, legal or not.

WANTED: PHP/MySQL/Windows software developer

We are a small, but long established and very successful media company. We have staff in the UK and Spain, and representatives in Thailand working with manufacturers.

We are looking for a friendly, out-going, experienced software developer with PHP, MySQL, Windows, IIS experience.

You will need satisfactory English skills (good skills preferred!), be highly reliable, be interested in a long-term, stable job with the opportunity for interesting travel.

You will be working with a great team, and be able to work from home.

We require SKILLS and TALENT much more than Diplomas and Certificates!

We offer an OUTSTANDING salary and benefits to the succesful applicant!

You would be contracted by an offshore company and choose payment into any bank account worldwide of your choice.

Again, you need to be reliable! This is a great job! Experience is MUCH more important to us than Degrees.

Please reply to me privately for more info, enclosing a brief summary of your IT skills/experience.

WANTED: PHP/MySQL/Windows software developer

We are a small, but long established and very successful media company. We have staff in the UK and Spain, and representatives in Thailand working with manufacturers.

We are looking for a friendly, out-going, experienced software developer with PHP, MySQL, Windows, IIS experience.

You will need satisfactory English skills (good skills preferred!), be highly reliable, be interested in a long-term, stable job with the opportunity for interesting travel.

You will be working with a great team, and be able to work from home.

We require SKILLS and TALENT much more than Diplomas and Certificates!

We offer an OUTSTANDING salary and benefits to the succesful applicant!

You would be contracted by an offshore company and choose payment into any bank account worldwide of your choice.

Again, you need to be reliable! This is a great job! Experience is MUCH more important to us than Degrees.

Please reply to me privately for more info, enclosing a brief summary of your IT skills/experience.

Does anybody in the company hold a degree? :o:D

Does anybody in the company hold a degree?  :o  :D

phastmike & gnthl_2: I work in Thailand for my own offshore companies, but i've had job offers from Thai companies in the past, quite good offers. Keep looking, the openings are out there, you just need to find them.

Harmonica: Your responses in this thread are weird. I don't know, just weird. And way too negative. It appears that you have a way too negative look at life and think everyone is an idiot. But its none of my business, i suggest you get away from the PC and out a little more :D

Harmonica: Let’s close this “exchange” once and for all. My only point has been – in response to the OP – that there IS a chance of a job. (Agree with rainman.) Whereas you seem to claim (in your own unique way) that there ISN’T. Fair enough.

BTW: I did write in another thread - about one year ago – that I hold a degree in English. Proves nothing of course, only that I did not suddenly invent this degree of mine for the sole purpose of flashing it in this thread. (Ooops! Now I’ve “flashed” it in three…)

Yes, two of the staff have Degrees (with honours). And your point is????

Sheesh what a sad little man you are, with sad little 'petty' replies.

Why do you keep embarrasing yourself on ThaiVisa?

Why do you reply with such numbskull replies - you come across as a pathetic drip who clearly has issues with the possibility that anyone may be smarter, earn more income and have a much better lifestyle than you!

Edited by palm

Yes, two of the staff have Degrees (with honours). And your point is????

Sheesh what a sad little man you are, with sad little 'petty' replies.

Why do you keep embarrasing yourself on ThaiVisa?

Why do you reply with such numbskull replies - you come across as a pathetic drip who clearly has issues with the possibility that anyone may be smarter, earn more income and have a much better lifestyle than you!

Settle down, chump -- all this in response to a simple question, "does anybody in the company have a degree?" .... ??

What has my harmless question inadvertently triggered?

Stay in England -- don't bring any more scams here! There are enough degreeless, offshore scammers & jammers here. :o