Thaksin May Seek Justice From The World Court

webfact

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And so what if the courts are corrupt, does that make Thaksin not guilty by default?

The evidence has been fairly well detailed in the Thai and English press and media. It would take a huge stretch of the imagination to see it as being fabricated, a fact I think the Shinawatras realise, hence their claims that the money actually belongs to Potjamon, Oak, Pinthongta, Yingluk, the maid, the dog, old uncle Tom Cobley and all. Yet, the man himself still calls it his money. Indeed, the evidence seems to be so water tight that the only way a charge of corruption could be levelled at the court would be if it were to exonerate him on all charges.

Edited by ballpoint

^not at all, good to get rid of drug scum. :D

To state that you must have known personally each and every one of the 2,500 odd people killed - how else would you be able to state as fact that they were "drug scum"?

Truth is noone knows who these people were, nor their crimes - if they did indeed commit any. We'll never know. That's a crime.

Well don't even try to get 'Britmaveric' to see a logical discussion on this. He's be quite OK if his kids somehow got in the line of fire and got gunned down.

His response would be, don't worry, never mind, all for the greater good.

Nice values.

And somehow you know that 2500 odd people did not deserve it? I thought so.... NEXT. :)

No-one knows whether they 'deserved' it without a fair trial. Murder is murder whoever pulls the trigger.

Guys, please keep the discussion on the correct side of the law, you all know that you can land yourselves in a lot of trouble in Thailand if you stray too far from the path... We dont wanna delete posts and close threads, but we will if we have to.

Just a friendly reminder and a polite warning, thanks! :)

Linky

JD - you know full well how corrupt the thai govt is from top to bottom. Def not a far fetched idea that the court is of kangaroo nature. :D

Brit ---

no I don't

you know full well how corrupt the thai govt is from top to bottom
If you do you should certainly do something about it!

He's not actually in Thailand either. :)

And somehow you know that 2500 odd people did not deserve it? I thought so.... NEXT. :)

Yes I do know that some of the 2600+victims of Thaksin's extra-judicial reign of terror did NOT deserve it. I also know that claiming any democratic legitimacy after executing 2600+ people with no trial is laughable ... and truly dispicable.

If 2,600 died without trials,

then that puts him in the league of Latin American dictators like Pinochet,

and, maybe not Idi Amin, Pol Pot and General Suharto,

but Charles Taylor, Hugo Banzer, Vinicio Cerezo, Ian Smith,

assorted Argentines, Mobutu Sese Seko and a few others come to mind.

As a national leader this is unacceptable in this day and age.

And what of the President of the Privy Council of Thailand? It is alleged that thousands of Thais died as he fought the "rebels" and allegedly launched forays into neighboring countries. As well, there are the allegations of complicity in supporting the Burmese military junta. I do not know if the allegations are valid, but they have certainly dogged the gentleman for decades. Would you add retired General Prem to the list?

Personally, I think retired General Prem would have sympathized with the generals that ran the deposed PM Thaksin's anti drug campaign. However, I am not an expert and will defer to those of you that seem to have intimate knowledge of the alleged Thaksin crimes what with your extensive knowledge of international law, Thai law, forensics and of course Thailand's political process within the elites.

Why would you say that about Prem? You have no idea. This is about Thaksin.

Edited by beammeup

Convicted by a Kagaroo court?
Def not a far fetched idea that the court is of kangaroo nature.

I didn't think we were allowed to make posts like the above on this forum, but the past couple of days I've seen quite a few just like them.

Is it ok to do so?

The prevalence of posts like you point out would suggest .....

^rixalex, well go ahead and marry Khun T since you are concerned about his marital status! :)

I suggest that you wait until Friday's announcement Rixie. If he gets a sizeable chunk back, consult a decent lawyer, if Thailand has one, and get a cast iron nailed down prenuptial agreement. Could be life changing. :D Best check if he still has those 'nieces' in tow though.

^Irony or not - this is about the asset seizure case. Any rate World Court is worthless as I stated not even worth the consideration for Khun T. :)

How about their 1962 decision to give Cambodia jurisdiction over Khao Phra Wihan, even though the French maps on which the decision was based were illegally drawn?

^rixalex, well go ahead and marry Khun T since you are concerned about his marital status! :)

I suggest that you wait until Friday's announcement Rixie. If he gets a sizeable chunk back, consult a decent lawyer, if Thailand has one, and get a cast iron nailed down prenuptial agreement. Could be life changing. :D Best check if he still has those 'nieces' in tow though.

Thanks for the tip Baggy. :D

In the unlikely event of me changing sexuality, and the even more unlikely event of me falling for a certain KhunT, i fear my path to romance may well be blocked by the clamouring hordes that make up the ThaiVisa Thaksin Appreciation Society. My money would be on either koo82 or mc2 winning the ultimate "prize", although Ferwert may also put up a serious fight. :D

[

Yes I do know that some of the 2600+victims of Thaksin's extra-judicial reign of terror did NOT deserve it. I also know that claiming any democratic legitimacy after executing 2600+ people with no trial is laughable ... and truly dispicable.
If 2,600 died without trials,

then that puts him in the league of Latin American dictators like Pinochet,

and, maybe not Idi Amin, Pol Pot and General Suharto,

but Charles Taylor, Hugo Banzer, Vinicio Cerezo, Ian Smith,

assorted Argentines, Mobutu Sese Seko and a few others come to mind.

As a national leader this is unacceptable in this day and age.

How many Rohingya died after being towed out to sea in boats without engines and without food or water, do you know?

How many deported Hmong are now being held in secret gaols and possibly being tortured, do you know?

Do you not think that you should add another National Leader to your list of barborous world leaders?

Edited by termad

The TV forum and other accessible media is probably the savior to the no name/no face people around the world who express their thoughts as gospel for all to hear and heed. A seemly proper term in this case, instigators. Hoods, masks, etc are so out of style/old fashioned but the mentality seems to be similar, in that those most vocal, do not seem to have the balls to stand up in public, to be heard. The use of these methods have been around for centuries and should be recognized for who is behind them.

What's your secret? What makes you able to judge innocence / guilt despite knowing nothing whatsoever of each individual case?

Just am Opinion, no more no less. :)

And therefore worthless.

And therefore just as worthless as every other opinion posted on this forum... yours (and mine) included :D

How many Rohingya died after being towed out to sea in boats without engines and without food or water, do you know?

How many deported Hmong are now being held in secret gaols and possibly being tortured, do you know?

Do you not think that you should add another National Leader to your list of barborous world leaders?

What have the policies of the Samak government got to do with Thaksin seeking justice?

What's your secret? What makes you able to judge innocence / guilt despite knowing nothing whatsoever of each individual case?

And therefore worthless.

And therefore just as worthless as every other opinion posted on this forum... yours (and mine) included :D

Opinions may be worthless but facts certainly are not.

The 2,500 odd people killed in the war on drugs were all innocent. FACT (well it's a fact to all of us who believe in innocence until guilt is proven in court)

Saying that each and every one of those people were "drug scum" despite having no detailed knowledge whatsoever of even one of those cases, is an OPINION... and yes, it's a worthless one.

Who are these 'elites' you all love referring to? You think they belong to some secret society? Do they have a secret handshake? What about Chalerm, Samak, Banharn, Chaovarit...surely they are 'elite' but wait, they support Thaksin - who is pretty dam_n elite himself. It's annoying all this simplification and the bandying around of popular terms which have no meaning at all - invisible hands, dark forces, amart... (most Thais went running to the dictionary when this word was first resurrected by the reds), elite. Get a grip. Yes, there are some rich people who take advantage of the poor - many of which are/were (because of ban) politicians, there are also many middle class and village heads who do the same, on the flip side, there are honest men and women whose reputations are still uncorrupted - Abhisit, Korn, etc. So how about looking at the matter as complex and multi-dimentional rather than a black and white - red and yellow - generalisation.

Who are these 'elites' you all love referring to? You think they belong to some secret society? Do they have a secret handshake? What about Chalerm, Samak, Banharn, Chaovarit...surely they are 'elite' but wait, they support Thaksin - who is pretty dam_n elite himself. It's annoying all this simplification and the bandying around of popular terms which have no meaning at all - invisible hands, dark forces, amart... (most Thais went running to the dictionary when this word was first resurrected by the reds), elite. Get a grip. Yes, there are some rich people who take advantage of the poor - many of which are/were (because of ban) politicians, there are also many middle class and village heads who do the same, on the flip side, there are honest men and women whose reputations are still uncorrupted - Abhisit, Korn, etc. So how about looking at the matter as complex and multi-dimentional rather than a black and white - red and yellow - generalisation.

Many of us have been pointing out that Thaksin and all of the bosses of the political machines all over the country are 'elite', and that not many can be considered more 'elite' than Thaksin.

If I arrange for someone that can't afford to repay a 'loan' to get a loan, and then arrange for my buddies to be in a position to be the ones to take the loan collateral when the loan comes due; who have I helped?

Not alleged. Convicted and is a wanted criminal.

Convicted by a Kagaroo court?

A kangaroo court is no doubt one which Thaksin failed to buy off. Of course the current court which is ruling tomorrow will be accused of being a kangaroo court if the ruling goes against Thaksin. Only the result counts. Thaksin's apologists have made it clear that they do not accept ANY judicial ruling against their man. He is, as they say, above the law.

And what about Thaksin himself? He was hardly a poor peasant boy as a child himself.

Is there any reason Thaksin could not apply to the world court of justice if he does not get his desired result?

Yes, it's called lack of jurisdiction. First, Thailand is not a member of the ICJ. Being a party to the UN, only gives the ICJ jurisdiction to adjudicate "contentious cases between states", not states and individuals. Individuals cannot participate in contentious cases. ICJ Jurisdiction - Contetious Cases Second, the ICJ does not adjudicate private disputes. "The Court's role is to settle, in accordance with international law, legal disputes submitted to it by States and to give advisory opinions on legal questions referred to it by authorized United Nations organs and specialized agencies." ICJ website Seizing Thaksin's assets is not a violation of human rights, therefore ICJ jurisdiction is not invoked. Absent this jurisdiction, the only way the ICJ can consider the case is if Thailand consents to jurisdiction or there is some treaty giving the ICJ jurisdiction. As there is not, Thaksin's case gets thrown out. End of story.

true indeed. I can't believe he was under the impression Thailand was included in the courts...or does he suppose being a fugitive abroad puts him in a special category? the still rich (due to unreported funds in offshore accounts, and transfers of money to "not yet of age" family members.) bottom line, this fool has more cards stacked against him than in his favor. he'd make more of a fool out of himself bringing attention to his blunders and corruption. can't believe he doesn't lay low, like Pol Pot did, his sorta counterpart. he massacred innocent people too, and comes from Thaksin's # fugitive hangout.

And therefore worthless.

I wouldn't care to argue against that proposition. :D