Rabies And Soi Dogs

Dog dies of rabies despite vaccination

A dog kept as a house pet in the north died of rabies this week despite having been vaccinated against it, an incident that could signal a turning point in the spread of the disease.

The 6-year-old boxer on Moshav Kfar Baruch, which died Tuesday, was the first dog in Israel known to die of rabies despite having received the inoculation. The dog had been receiving regular vaccinations for the past five years.

Roni Ozeri, deputy director of the veterinary services unit of the Agriculture Ministry, said the case was a matter of concern.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1152227.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7169305?dopt=Abstract

Canine rabies in Nigeria, 1970 - 1980 reported cases in vaccinated dogs.

Okoh AE.

From 1970 through 1980, 14 cases of rabies in vaccinated dogs, were reported in various parts of Nigeria. All the dogs (100%) were owned, and adult (93%); most demonstrated furious behaviour (64%), and had exposure to humans (43%). A history of vaccination was reported for 1200 dogs. Of the 14 cases there were 10 cases of apparent vaccine failure involving modified live (low egg passage chick embryo) vaccine in use during the study period. In 4 of these cases, infection may actually have been induced by the vaccine. Surveillance should be heightened to monitor efficacy of vaccines in current use in the country.

Dr. Ronald D. Schultz, Professor and Chair Department of Patho-biological Sciences School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Wisconsin-Madison has done research on the duration of immunity of Canine vaccines:

http://www.cedarbayvet.com/duration_of_immunity.htm

...Since the mid 1970's we have done a variety of studies with various canine vaccines to demonstrate their duration of immunity. From our studies it is apparent, at least to me, that the duration of immunity for the four most important canine vaccines (core vaccines) that the duration of immunity is considerably longer than one year....

Table 1: Minimum Duration of Immunity for Canine Vaccines

The rottweiler that died was, if I'm not mistaken, 3 year old. Did the dog receive only 1 Rabies vaccine or did the dog receive its puppy vaccines and after that its annual boosters?

If the dog received the puppy vaccines and annual boosters, does that means that ALL the vaccines were false or no good? Is it possible that this dog contracted Rabies from the vaccine? Were the Rabies vaccines made of modified live or killed viruses? Not sure if MLV Rabies vaccines are sold in Thailand.

The puppies, bought by the unfortunate lady, did they die from Rabies as well? I didn't see anything mentioned in the news reports of what exactly the puppies died, only that they died. And if they died from Rabies, did they contracted it from the mother dog or from the rottweiler?

Many questions.

nienke,

i can help in the israeli case: most of the cases are up north (All the known infections this year have been in the eastern Galilee or Golan Heightsfrom the article. )

; they are close to the borders of lebanon and syria and most dog there are not vaccinated for many reasons, mostly financial, the war in lebanon left many many many dogs running loose and breeding , and lack of concern (a muslem country usually doesnt keep pet dogs nor take care of the dogs that are hangers around as work/guard dogs)and most animals are able to cross the borders freely.

the upper galil and golan are full of foxes, jackals and some areas have wolves... it is a known rabies area. also, most arab villages and moshavim dont bother to vaccinate their dogs for financial reasons and a huge amount of dogs are roaming around and come in contact with foxes and other rabies carrying mammals.

therefor the snide comment about rabies in tel aviv btw; city = rich, moshavim and arab villages in the north = poor and usually get less money per county....

also, a large percientage of people either give the puppies all the vaccines and after that dont bother, or reversed: dont bother with puppy vaccines and only give boosters since often people just take pups from the strays and farm dogs and give the vaccine for rabies only when the county comes around to vaccinate. no one bothers to come in to a vet. that is a city phenomenon or a 'non moshavnik' thing to do... (as in: city folks living on moshav will vaccinate their expensive pedigree dogs, but moshavinik originals see that as a waste of money.

therefore, rabies here is alive and well...

bina

israel

Almost every Thai I know walks in the street. It's their problem more than ours. We can't solve it. They could solve it but won't.

What I meant is that Thai people in the streets go from point A to point B, i.e. from their place to the bus, train, moto-taxi, whatever.

Foreigners just walk in the streets for the sheer pleasure of walking in Thai sois :D

And well, Thai soi dogs is not THEIR problem, it is A problem... :)

Edited by eurasianthai