Can A Falang Send Funds From Thai Bank To Uk One ?

I have a few hundred K baht I'd like to send to my account in the UK by TT however TFB / Kasikorn says that I'm not allowed to do so ?

Anyone know a way I can do it ? a different bank perhaps ?

Someone has suggested making up a dummy proforma invoice to show them and getting my wife to transfer funds from her account, would that work ?

Poor unfortunate even your wife needs to give a very good reason - did you see the great big sign when you entered Thailand it basically says transfer as much as you want in - but we wil never let you take it out -the expats used to buy Kruger Rands to smuggle their money out of South Africa.

You are always allowed as a matter of course to transfer out of Thailand any amount you transferred into Thailand. If you once, no matter how long ago, wired an amount in GBP into your account at TFB, then they are permitted to match up your outbound wire with that automatically and send an amount no greater back to where it came from.

If, on the other hand, you want to wire out funds you generated here -- income or investment profits -- then you are into one of those wonderfully Thai 'grey areas.' You can't do it unless you have permission. How do you get permission? With a 'good reason' such as the payment of a school fee invoice or because you know somebody or.......well, that's why they call it a 'grey area.'

I have accepted a job working in Thailand for a subsidiary of a foreign-based company and will be paid in Thai baht. I need to send money back to the US every month to my two kids who are in college. Until I read this thread I thought this would be easy, now I know. What is the process to get permission to do this? How long does it take? Can I get an ongoing permission or do I have to do something every month?

Thanks for the help.

For regular transfers of Money to England you might as well consider to open another account, get a Visa ATM card, send the card to your family, tell them the Pin Number, and top up the amount in this account every month or so. Maybe not fully legal (but I doubt that the Bank's unwillingness to transfer legitimate money abroad is fully legal, too!), but it will work.

Sunny

I have accepted a job working in Thailand for a subsidiary of a foreign-based company and will be paid in Thai baht.  I need to send money back to the US every month to my two kids who are in college.  Until I read this thread I thought this would be easy, now I know.  What is the process to get permission to do this? How long does it take? Can I get an ongoing permission or do I have to do something every month?

Thanks for the help.

It may be a little late now but try anyway. If the subsidiary are answerable to the parent company you could ask to be paid in US$ from the US direct into your US personal account. Obviously the amount paid to you will be the equivalent of the Thai salary based on the exchange rate at the time of transfer. It might take a little threatening on your part of pleading your committment situation regarding the kids. It can be done depending on where you are on the power chain.

T.

I have a few hundred K baht I'd like to send to my account in the UK by TT however TFB / Kasikorn says that I'm not allowed to do so ?

Someone has suggested making up a dummy proforma invoice to show them and getting my wife to transfer funds from her account, would that work ?

I was able to transfer money to UK from my Thai Military Bank acc in Pattaya. This was around 5 years ago, so I'm not sure if it's the same now. On every occaision it reached the clearing bank overnight,then when in England it took a further week to travel across town

try Siam Commercial Bank, they advertise this service on their website, dunno whether they really do it

try Siam Commercial Bank, they advertise this service on their website, dunno whether they really do it

If you have a work permit, you can do it online with SCB.

I have accepted a job working in Thailand for a subsidiary of a foreign-based company and will be paid in Thai baht.  I need to send money back to the US every month to my two kids who are in college.  Until I read this thread I thought this would be easy, now I know.  What is the process to get permission to do this? How long does it take? Can I get an ongoing permission or do I have to do something every month?

Thanks for the help.

Support of children in college abroad is a common reason for approving wire transfers abroad.

You should find out the name of an officer in the wire tranfer office of your bank (he would be at the home office, of course, not in some local branch) and make an appointment to see him. Go in with a list of the transfers you propose to make and ask him how best to obtain permission and whether you willl have to do it separately for each transfer. Your answer, depending on who you end up talking to and his mood that day, will range somewhere between 'no can' and 'no problem.' If it's not the answer you need, however, look for another bank. You shouldn't have a problem finding one who will sort the matter out for you.

Support of children in college abroad is a common reason for approving wire transfers abroad.

You should find out the name of an officer in the wire tranfer office of your bank (he would be at the home office, of course, not in some local branch) and make an appointment to see him. Go in with a list of the transfers you propose to make and ask him how best to obtain permission and whether you willl have to do it separately for each transfer. Your answer, depending on who you end up talking to and his mood that day, will range somewhere between 'no can' and 'no problem.' If it's not the answer you need, however, look for another bank. You shouldn't have a problem finding one who will sort the matter out for you.

Thanks a million, sounds like I need to get all my paperwork ducks in a row and find the right bank. Thanks for the response

Two thoughts here.

One: As far as taking money out and having a reason to do so, would not changing permanent residence (i.e., moving back to country of origin on my visa) count ?

Two: Seems like wired money can be documented for the purposes of showing money brought in. How about cash advances with saved receipts? I use my bank's debit card for this purpose, because I don't seem to incur any extra transfer or conversion charges.

:o

The Thai farmers bank main building on Paholyothin Rd (just near Aree Station) was very amenable for me to do transfers. I simply gave the guy my Australian passport to copy. That was to Australia, but I am sure that to the US there is no difference.

They offered a wire transfer service or writing a bank cheque in Australian dollars. I went for the cheque option because it was substantially cheaper. Once the cheque was written out I simply sent it to my father in OZ who depositied into my Australian bank account.

I am sure if you went there they could organise a US dollar cheque for you to send to your son at college.

The Kasikorn bank on Rangnam Road also transferred money to the UK for me. It took a while for the transfer to go through (documented in another thread) but it was no problem to arrange the transfer. They didn't need a copy of my passport or anything (because they had that when I opened the account).

I have wired money into that account but they didn't check that the amount wired out was less than that. All they wanted to know was the reason for transferring the money. They suggested "Savings" so that is what I called it.

As with many things here, if the first person says no, find someone else to ask! :o

As with many things here, if the first person says no, find someone else to ask!  :o

ha ! very good point I think !

I think travelling cheques (signed) can be sent too.

what other ideas? well, Western Union is always an option - although they charge a lot.

otherwise I agree with those who said that if you show the evidence of bringing in the funds or legitimately earning them here - shouldn't be any problem in wire transfer.