Residence permit for retired

I had contacted a law firm in Bangkok regarding obtaining permanent residency based on retirement. They informed me that category has been removed and either my qualifications as an academic or married to a Thai would be acceptable now. Could you verify if this is true or not (retirement category being removed)?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

--Michael

• 2 weeks later...

I have got two different sources at Immigration saying two different things.

One says that it's no change - just apply!

The other says that the quota for retired foreigners are nerly scrapped, but it can be an idea to apply anyway.

That's the latest. I reckon' that you should try if you qulaift. Sorry about the delay in this answer, but this was a hard one... :o

• 2 months later...

Dear Sir.

Is it possible to get a stright answer from Immigration Thailand? I doubt it. In Dec.2001 I applied for Retirement Residence Permit, and was tol I had to do a language test. And to qualify, had to know Thai language comperative to Grade 6. So I started to study Thai language. Last time I renewed my 3 month visa"Application for residence status is under consideration---"-, I was told that they do not have

Retirement Residence Permits. So now I am wondering, what am I waiting for. Because they accepted my application. Are you able to make me any viser? Is there any answer? I see that others have asked simular questions, and no understandable answer. Are you able to come up with the answer? There is no sense in asking questions if nobody can come up with the correct answer.

No, it is not possible to get a straight answer from the Immigration Bureau. Period.

It *seems* to be this way (not sure):

If you are wealthy enough and can pay up via a laywer or someone, you might get it.

Others, like me, have to make that bloody 1 year retirement visa year  by year. 6 years now.

Nobody knows who to bribe there at Suan Pluh these days?

Any agents?

I you have THB 10 millions to invest ++fee, they give it to you on the spot, FYI.

• Like 1

Here is the direct number to the good people at Immigration handling the Residence permits.

0-2287-3101 ext. 2234, 2235

You better have a Thai call for you, if you don't speak good Thai, as you are expected to speak fluent Thai as a resident...

• 2 years later...
<font color='#000000'>Here is the direct number to the good people at Immigration handling the Residence permits.

0-2287-3101 ext. 2234, 2235

You better have a Thai call for you, if you don't speak good Thai, as you are expected to speak fluent Thai as a resident...</font>

I don't think you need to speak fluent Thai, your language skills form part of the package they look at. I would however be interested if anyone has any real information on this matter - not 3rd hand from your ex-wife's 3 cousin's boy- friend's step mother's somtam lady.

Edited by Artisi

I am in a similar position.

As I understand the rules we do not stand a chance if we are retired.

One of the things they look at is your contribution to the country by

way of tax paid. Unless you are in full time employment this is NIL

and so are your chances.

By all means enquire and let us know if you find out otherwise.

Edited by astral