Black Magic In Thai Politics

HAL9000

Has anyone seen this article from Time? Or aware of it's information?

In Thailand, A Little Black Magic Is Politics as Usual

This is a side of Thai politics that I was totally unaware of. Commentaries I have seen on the blood event just call it gross, but this article explains it in detail. Worse than that, according to the article, all Thai politics is infected with it, with the possible exception of the Oxford-educated PM.

I surprised you are unaware of it. Most Thais consult fortune tellers on a regular basis.

Almost all Thais make regular offering to spirits, usually cooked pigs heads, traditional foods, whiskey and sometimes fire crackers.

Almost all Thai houses and public buildings have two spirit houses. The tall one is for heavenly spirits, the shorter one is for earthly spirits. Many Thais wai when passing a spirit house, they genuinely believe that spirits live in the spirit houses.

As the article suggests Buddhism in Thailand is blend of Buddhist, Hindu, animist, Khmer, pagan and other beliefs. You might also add Chinese belief to that list.

All over Thailand there are shrines to Hindu gods, Ganesha is popular, Thai leader from the past, Kings, generals etc, Chinese Buddha's, Thai Buddha's etc.

Edited by Garry9999

Thai Politics can get as dirty as in any another Developing Country in the World.

I think perhaps the better statement is that "Thai Politics can get as dirty as in any another country in the World." I'm an American, and I am ashamed by what has become of American politics in the past few years.

And as far as the broad scope of "magic"...well, I'm more open-minded about it than most westerners. Although not in a very long time, in years past I have been to psychics/fortune-tellers, and although I never took their advice, a few of their statements (and I'm talking about unusual and unexpected predictions...not the obvious claptrap) were startlingly correct. In fact, I wouldn't be living in Thailand today were it not for a "clarification session" I had with a fairly well-known American psychic (at least in psychic circles). From a religious standpoint, some things happened at my father's death that were inexplicable, other than through long-established religious beliefs.

In general, I'm not a person who believes in superstition. I walk under ladders, I don't throw salt over my shoulder, and I don't think Friday the 13ths are inherently unlucky. I also don't think that we understand everything about the universe in our modern, rational world.

The problem I have with Thai politicians and their magic (not unlike some of the more famous Muslim leaders) is that when the spell doesn't work, or when Allah doesn't smote the Americans off the planet, they don't read their own signs. They just keep chugging ahead.

I can not make major renovations to my home as my wife believes that after the Buddhist monks blessed the house any alterations would lead to disaster.

She has a lot of Feng Shui type believes such as the gate and front door can not be aligned because spirits travel in straight lines and would enter the house easily.

Thai Politics can get as dirty as in any another Developing Country in the World.

Not only that it's dirty. It is going down as well. I believe corruption and greedy of these Thai Politicians are one of the causes of all the political problems.

I don't support any of the political colors. It takes away my rights to wear colors of the cloeth I like.

It's time for RED to go home.

Excellent article, again. Shows that really international news organizations DO have what it takes when there's really something to report. I got a bit disenchanted with Western news/media organizations just running another stale thing related to the usual topic when it comes to Thailand.